Notices

On My Way #4

Old 09-05-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

I can't say I kicked butt at the gym this morning, but I gave it my all so I'm pleased with knowing I didn't cheat myself.

This afternoon I'm taking a walk with my wife and dog.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

In my and surrounding towns it's THAT day, the first day of school. Generally loved by school age parents and a much more diverse reaction among the students. I met a friend for breakfast today and on my walk passed three school bus stops where children and their respective caregivers were starting to gather. Lots and lots of pictures with, as alluded to above, varying degrees of smiling going on by the subjects otherwise known as students. All I know is that watching the scenes play out I had a smile on my face as I remembered taking my kids to school. Those days are long gone and while I have happy memories of the days (and photos of course) I'm also glad that my family has reached a different phase in our collective life cycle.

The not so yungins are well on their way to becoming successful independent adults and my wife and I are very close to wrapping things up on the work side of things. We've already "downsized" our work commitments and will continue to do so, but are not quite ready to totally cut the proverbial cord. To some degree that's because we're still funding our kids' educations and maintaining a home that will be too big for us once they completely move out.

Regarding the education, from the time they were little they knew that as long as they tried their best they would graduate college and any terminal degree program they wanted without any debt. That doesn't mean we would be paying for their social activities while in college and grad school; they were expected to work during the summer to accumulate cash for that as well as to continue saving some of their salary for future expenses. They fulfilled all of their obligations and so have we and while we're happy to do so, I'm especially glad that both kids don't take any of this for granted.

They know they're fortunate and they know their lifestyle is not due to any money tree in the backyard, but hard work and sacrifice by their two parents. They both understand the work ethic involved, what it takes to overcome employment adversity, and why it's so important to be fiscally prudent. Anyone who reads here, which I know is not many, knows that we don't live a pauper lifestyle, but we've always lived below our means and because of principal sometimes do things that will have no meaningful monetary impact on our life, but feels like the right thing to do. One arching principle is, "Waste Nothing" and we do our best not to.

One of our "quirks" is that when the dish detergent bottle gets essentially used up we fill it with water and get another day or two out of it. What does that save? I have no idea, but over the course of a year possibly less than 25 cents. It doesn't matter, it's the principle; there's still a viable resource in there. This past weekend my daughter's boyfriend, who comes from a family with very little discretionary income, was here and saw this and they had the following conversation:

He: Why do you do that? You guys are really rich* and can afford to buy as much dish soap as you need.

She: This isn't about money. We don't like to waste anything.

Gotta love my little girl.

*Everything's relative.

Okay, I'm getting too wordy and far astray from the original of this post, which was just that it was enjoyable seeing all the families on the first day of school.

No segue, so I'll just throw out that I ran a few miles after breakfast at a decent for me pace.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Ugh! So I just reread my previous post and was appalled by the grammatical errors. Usually my posts here are short so there's not much opportunity for such things, but on something longer like the above I really should proof read before sending.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to be a proofreader - I'd make a lot of money out of myself these days

D
Old 09-07-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I used to be a proofreader - I'd make a lot of money out of myself these days

D
And based on my next to last post you'd be making a lot of money out of me.

I spent about 45 minutes at the gym and had a solid traditional workout. I'm hoping to run tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

I was unexpectedly up very late last night, but I wanted to run this morning and knowing that the heat index was going to be about 105F/41C I got my arse out earlier than I would have normally preferred. I may be dragging a bit today, but my exercise objective for the day is complete and that's a trade off I can comfortably live with.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

I'm taking a rest day today so nothing more than some stretching and foam rolling. Tomorrow AM will see me at the gym.

I have a book club meeting tonight and still have 20 pages left to read. Guess what I'll be doing shortly.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

After a good book club meeting, a not too late night, and an early gym session I'm ready to tackle some chores around the house.

We have a birthday party to attend tonight.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

We had a great time at the party last night; we got to spend time with some people we haven't seen in a while and my wife got to spend time with her best friend who she rarely sees. By the time we got home and I walked the dog it was around midnight and I was at the gym this morning for a solid, but not great workout. I'll be there tomorrow AM to workout with my trainer.

Dinner tonight is going to be something using the eggplant tomato sauce I'm making as I type.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Lots of shoulder work with my trainer this morning with some core stuff thrown in for fun.

Dinner tonight is going to be salmon burgers with oven fries and a salad.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Got a nice run done this morning. A little bit farther than the past few at a comparable pace.

Dinner tonight is a Pakistani inspired spicy yogurt concoction using a recipe from Steven Raichlen's The Barbecue Bible. The sides are going to be a tomato-cucumber raita and jasmine rice.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

A cut and paste from the recipe thread that went wrong. The first sentence of the second paragraph above should have mentioned that chicken thighs were going to be marinating in the concoction.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

I had a solid workout at the gym yesterday and around noon will be going for a run.

Nutrition and hydration have been on point.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

My run is done. Four miles at a 9:19 pace.

Dinner tonight is going to be leftovers and then my wife and I are going to see a friend play guitar at a local bar. Should be fun and fortunately not a late night.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

We were home by 10:30 last night, so not too bad, but I stayed up to watch the NFL game that was played so I didn't hit the hay as early as I would have liked. That didn't stop me from getting to the gym this morning for a good workout.

I'm not sure about dinner tonight; I'm leaning toward making a light fare combo of my homemade turkey breast, homemade bacon, homemade hummus, with basil and tomato from our garden. Although I have time I don't have the initiative to bake the bread and instead will drive to a bread bakery in town and buy a loaf of French bread. The side will be garlic roasted chick peas that are leftover from my wife's book club meeting earlier this week.

Unless something changes we're staying home tonight; there will likely be some reading and music involved with an early end to the day so we can be at the gym before 9 AM refreshed and ready to bring it!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Confirmed: dinner and evening activities will be as previously described.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

After dinner last night I went on a 4 mile walk with my wife and dog.

My wife and I were at the gym at 9 this morning. Lots of deadlifts, squats of various types, and direct core work. We'll be doing some walking this afternoon around town and an arts and crafts fair in a local park.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled rib eye steaks with sides of sautéed onions and mushrooms as well as creamed spinach.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Sounds like a very nice day ahead, GC. An arts and crafts fair in a park sounds a great place to spend some $$.

Enjoy.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Sounds like a very nice day ahead, GC. An arts and crafts fair in a park sounds a great place to spend some $$.

Enjoy.
We had a very nice day of it. One of our objectives was to find presents for some friends and relatives who will shortly be having birthdays, but somehow our only purchase was gloves for my wife. :-)

This Morning At The Gym

Two rounds of:

Jumping jacks
Lateral lunges
Walkouts

Five rounds of:

TRX squat rows
Kettle bell Russian twists
Kettle bell swings
Weighted step ups
Duffel bag rows

Very minimal rest between sets. The whole routine took one hour. If the rain holds off I'll be walking for a while with my wife and dog.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Yesterday after the gym between a couple of dog walks I got about 5 miles done.

Monday fun with my trainer.

Three circuits of:

Bb bench presses
Chin ups
Push ups
Bb standing overhead presses
Bb curls
Incline push ups
Bent over Db rows

At the end my arms were literally shaking and I had trouble lifting my arms to change my shirt in the locker room. Not that I normally lift on Tuesdays, but guess who will not be moving iron tomorrow?

Dinner last night was one of those "I think this will work combos". In my slow cooker I put the leftover eggplant tomato sauce, added the leftover creamed spinach, added some chicken broth for volume, and threw in a couple of chicken leg quarters for four hours. I then defatted the sauce, reduced it, and thickened it and served it with the chicken and orzo. Dinner tonight is going to be cod topped with crab meat and the side will be a salad.