Notices

On My Way #4

Old 12-03-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Good stuff, GC.

Enjoy your guests.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

My wife is still away so I had another date night with the woman from Friday. For purposes of clarity, the woman I'm referring to is my daughter. We went for sushi and then came back home to listen to music and chat. Another wild evening at the GonnaChange household; I was in bed by 10:30 and while dear daughter stayed up later it wasn't into the wee hours.

She and I spent a hour at the gym this morning in a small group setting that mainly emphasized stamina and with a smaller focus on strength training. 'Twas a nice change of pace. My only exercise for the balance of the day will be dog walks.

Dinner is still undecided, but it will be something relatively light.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is snorkelling and kayaking. Gym work should start to pay off. Biggest dilemma- whether to wear my burns garment and/or a wet suit.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Thanks SoberLeigh. We had a fine time.

PhoenxJ, enjoy your water activites.

I dined alone last night so I had a leftovers combo. I combined some spinach stuffed pork tenderloin with spicy lentil chili, topped it with mozzarella cheese and baked it.

Dinner tonight is going to be meatloaf made from ground beef and pork with Italian sausage mixed in. I think I'll be making mashed potatoes as the side.

Later this morning I have my regularly scheduled session with my trainer. I'll be back later to give a recap on what took place.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

After a weekend filled with two fine workouts, today's experience was the opposite. I had a really tough time, mainly due to my breathing, but with some added rest completed all the exercises.

3 rounds of:

Renegade rows
Ball slams
Bosu ball push ups with leg thrusts
Jumping jacks
Inverted pushups
Heavy rope fun
Small ball push ups
Planks

As mentioned above, I've already planned dinner, but I may not follow through since I'm not feeling well.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

I went for a 2.5 mile run this morning after meeting a friend for breakfast.

Last night I stuck with my dinner plan since I was feeling better. I'm flying solo tonight and have yet to decide what to make.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I'm flying solo tonight and have yet to decide what to make.
I decided to make sun dried tomato infused pasta and serve it with onions, mushrooms, and garlic cloves sautéed in EVOO. A game time decision will be whether or not I make a salad to go with it.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

No exercise yet with the exception of a dog walk. Tonight I'm going to attend the strength and stamina class I went to last week. My wife and daughter will also attend.

Dinner tonight is going to be potato leek soup. I'll make it this afternoon and then put it in my crock pot to keep warm while we're at the gym. I'm planning on cutting up a garden salad and also serving toasted bialys as the sides. To the extent that we keep going to this Wednesday night class the crock pot is going to see a lot of use, especially in the cool/cold weather months.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

The only downside, for me, of the Wednesday night class is that it's at night. I would much prefer to have it in the rear view mirror earlier in the day. That said, I'll probably go again next week because it's a good workout. We did four rounds of ten exercises. Rest between each exercise was between 5 and 10 seconds, barely enough time to get situated for what came next, and rest between rounds was 30 seconds.

Kb goblet squats
Kb 2 point rows
Push ups
Planks with shoulder touches
Walk outs with a pushup
Touch squats
Burpees
Mountain climbers
Jumping jacks

At the moment I can't remember the missing exercise.

After that we did rounds of jump squats starting at 10 with each round descending by one. Rest between each of those was about 5 seconds.

Today's exercise was a 2.5 mile run. I really have to start increasing the length of them, but it's better than nothing.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled chicken thighs that I'm marinating in a thick yogurt curry-esque sauce. If I get ambitious I'm going to make naan as an accompaniment. Alternatively, I may take the easier route and go with seasoned Basmati rice.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

I have a fund raising luncheon to attend tomorrow morning/afternoon so instead of possibly not getting my workout done I was at the gym in the late afternoon for a short, but very effective workout. The three big compounds were involved and for the first time in a while I went with 3 sets of 5 reps so I was a little conservative with the weights.

Db bench press: 75lbs. each
Bb as* to the ground (ATG) squats: 225 lbs.
Bb deadlifts: 275 lbs.

I was most concerned with the squats because I have a history of tweaking my knee, but all went well and I could have handled more weight with each exercise so while I feel that my conservative decision was correct it was gratifying.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

My exercise for the day is going to be walking to and from the fund raiser once I get into Manhattan.

No dinner plans yet and I have no idea what will be served at the cocktail hour and following luncheon.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Good morning, GC; I hope that you are feeling better (your workouts would suggest so) and that your breathing is better.

Enjoy the fundraiser and your time in Manhattan!
Old 12-09-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Thanks SL. With the exception of last Monday I've been feeling pretty good. Enjoy your weekend!

Today

Obviously, I'm back from my fund raiser and, as expected, my only exercise of the day will be the walking I did in Manhattan getting to and from the event. It was one of the largest luncheons I've been to with over 700 people attending. In addition to me there were some very senior people from national, state, and local law enforcement agencies so security was high. Two perimeters of check points before walking into the facility manned by military clothed people with automatic weapons and lots of dogs. The entire perimeter of the building was thusly guarded and since the back of the building faced a river a couple/few NYPD police boats were in position. I also noticed some guys in suits mulling about the ballroom with ear pieces. IOW I felt very safe.

Dinner, which hasn't been decided yet, is going to be low key as will the night. Hopefully that will put me in a good position to have a solid gym experience tomorrow AM.

Tomorrow night me and my wife will be going to another fund raiser at a local pub to raise money for a nearby no kill animal shelter. Something tells me the security will not be as high as today.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

I got the day started with:

Four rounds of:

Squat holds
Kb 2 point rows
Push ups with knee thrusts
Jump squats
Inverted pushups with shoulder touches

Then 3 rounds of:

Burpees
Mountain climbers
Jumping jacks.

Since dinner is included in tonight's fund raiser I won't be cooking.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

I thought I was being good last night with respect to food and beverage, but unbeknownst to me the food must have been very sodium laden because both me and my wife are a bit bloated today and I managed to gain 3 pounds. Lots of hydration in my future.

I was at the gym for about 45 minutes doing a solo workout.

Stretching
Captain's chair knee raises
Db bench press
Bb bent over row
Db shrugs

Dinner tonight is going to be chicken in a mild curry sauce and, if I get motivated shortly, the naan I threatened to make last week. Yes, the protein portion will be similar to something I made last week, but it was a request by my wife and there's some rationale for it. Our son is coming back from college for his winter break tomorrow and he's not a fan of Indian cuisine so the opportunities to have it will be slim until he goes back to school.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

How well I know that bloated feeling; I can feel it the moment my feet hit the floor in the morning; rings are tight; mouth is dry, etc. - ick.

Dinner sounds fabulous, GC. Enjoy!!!!
Old 12-11-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Exactly SL! Tight rings and being thirsty are two indicators for me also. I'm been pretty good about getting some extra hydration, mainly water, today and will continue until around dinner time.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the naan, as I've never made it before, but the short knead went well and at least from appearances the rest/rise seems to be going fine also.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Exactly SL! Tight rings and being thirsty are two indicators for me also. I'm been pretty good about getting some extra hydration, mainly water, today and will continue until around dinner time.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the naan, as I've never made it before, but the short knead went well and at least from appearances the rest/rise seems to be going fine also.
Naan is so uniquely delicious, especially with various Indian jellies and salsas.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Believe me, I'll write tomorrow about how it turned out. :-)
Old 12-12-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Monday morning fun with my trainer:

2 rounds of the usual warm up:

30 jumping jacks
20 squats
10 pushups

Then 3 rounds of:

Close grip lat pulldowns
Stability ball one arm Kb chest presses
Stability ball Bb skullcrushers
Standing close grip Bb curls
Pushups
Seated rows
Planks
Db bench rows
Ab wheel rollouts

All sets were between 10 and 15 reps and the planks were probably about 90 seconds. I don't know why I never ask.

On to eats:

The reviews by my critics (my wife and daughter) about the naan was that it was great and I need to make it again.

Tonight I'm making a shrimp and avocado dish. The easy out would be to make quesadillas, but I know my daughter won't want carbs at dinner twice in a row and with her carb loving brother coming home tonight she's going to be seeing more of them than when he's at school so I figured I'd give her a break.