Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Part 13

Old 05-05-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Good evening class! I'm typing with TWO thumbs tonight! I am getting more use out of my slinged side now that some of the pain is subsiding. Had PT today. At this point it's all passive movement so that things don't get too stiff. It's challenging to concentrate on letting your muscles stay completely relaxed while someone maneuvers your entire arm. Today my arm was extended 90 degrees to my side and then over my head to touch a pillow I was laying on. It takes about 40 minutes to get my arm to safely move into those two positions. Love my PT team already. They are really good.

High school me was a bit of a social misfit. I mostly hung out with the alternative crowd. Was a good A/B student, played French horn from 6th to 12th grade. Marching band and symphonic band. I was also on the swim team my junior and senior years. My coach was mad I hadn't joined as a freshman. In two short seasons I placed in the top six in the big city meet in two events. He was sure if he had me for 4 years I could have made All City (top six in 4 events. I loved being a part of the swim team. It taught me a lot about perseverance and determination.

Good to see you back Lofty. Hope you and the Mrs. make headway with counseling. It's a good sign you are both willing to try.

Fablea - I wish I could smell your house! I bet it smells amazing. Good luck with all of the festivities and company.

Applekat - enjoy your vacation! Hope you have smooth travels.

Jemma - I've heard good things about topi max for migraines. Good luck!

Bobbie - have a happy reunion with hubs!!

Sorry I'm not responding to everyone. I'm on my phone and it's hard to keep everyone straight without having a Word doc open on my computer and respond as I read
Old 05-05-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Re-Member

My granddad was an Eagle Scout (and a low bottom alcoholic, who died with 30+ years of sobriety while helping hundreds if not thousands of other drunks during those years) and his mother was pretty much my third parent. I spent all my summers with her my whole life and moved in with her for good when I was 15, until her death at the age of 98 when I was 32. She wanted so badly for me to be a boy scout too so I tried. I only made it a couple of years. It just wasn't my thing. Last straw was a camping trip with a new troop to the Sweetwater, Texas, Rattlesnake Roundup. We were expected to take the just-dead corpses of thousands of newly slaughtered rattlesnakes and skin them so that they could sell the skin and meat both. Nope. That wasn't going to happen for this guy. Rattlesnakes are poisonous. I don't care if they're dead. I'm not touching them. That was my last Boy Scout outing.

Oh! But funny story--in 4th grade, my family moved to Arlington, Texas, for one year--huge suburb between Dallas and Fort Worth, home of the Texas Rangers baseball team and now the Dallas Cowboys. Anyways, my new Cub Scout troop there needed to raise some money. Our den leader decided the best way for us to do that was for us 8 and 9 year old Cub Scouts to man the beer booth at the Grand Prairie Flea Market every weekend. My dad was less than a year sober at that point--he put the kibosh on my participation in that activity very quickly.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Clearlyheaded -- You type better with two thumbs on a phone than I do with ten fingers on a full keyboard. Glad you like your PT team and even more happy that you checked in. Keep on keeping on! You're doing great!
Old 05-05-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

I'm hittin' the hay folks. All of the Big Bang segments are over so I'll watch Forensic Files until I fall asleep. Have a great evening!
Old 05-05-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Oh, I want to clarify my post from last night. This isn't the longest sober stretch I've ever had. I often forget about my sober time when I was pregnant and had 10 sober months because it was almost 10 years ago. Don't know why, but that was bugging me. There, now I feel better!
Old 05-05-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Cinco de Mayo greetings from the border. This town is partying, but I am home safe and sound. Checking in for the night.

I had a good day today. Grateful for sobriety and the peace in my life that goes with it.

I will be reading a lot here this weekend to catch up. Tonight...I sleep.

Love to you all,
Lillian
Old 05-05-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks for the clarification, clearlyheaded, and glad to see you check in, LillianGish.

Going to pick out a TV show to watch until midnight and then try to crash. We'll see if I do better waking up early tomorrow than I did today. Thanks to each and every one of you for keeping me sober one more day. I can't do this alone.

If you're struggling tonight, get in here or on the Newcomers forum and ask for help. And remember you don't have to take that first drink tonight no matter what!
Old 05-05-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by immri View Post
Why are you trying use American English spelling instead of British Fabela? Just curious, I'd have thought British would be more common there.
We were encouraged to choose a spelling at the University and I chose American. And then I guess I just stuck to it.

Just stopped by to say hello. Have loads to do today, so I won't be here much. Wish you all a wonderful Friday!
Old 05-05-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll stick with British

D
Old 05-06-2016, 03:23 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Good morning! One week today! It should be a relatively normal day at work and maybe...just maybe I will be able to sneak out around noon (fingers crossed!)
I have been feeling okay this go around but less enthusiastic...if that makes any sense. Weird.
Well off to work I go. Wishing a happy and sober Friday to all!!
Old 05-06-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Good morning! It's the start of day 6 for me. I'm on a business trip. In meetings all day then flying home on a 7 pm flight. I won't get home until after 9. I don't foresee any temptations today. I was glad I opted not to have a margarita yesterday. The weekend is coming up. I want to make it through. I feel different this time around. I am planning ahead..non-alcohol related activities. Strawberry festival with live music Saturday evening, chores Saturday morning, and will need to visit my parents Sunday.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:49 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Good morning! Nice to have you typing with 2 thumbs, ClearlyHeaded. Rehabbing from surgery is a pain - are you on any pain meds? I was on some a few years back after a little surgery. Those things are very good and very tricky/addictive. After 3 days I counted how many pills I had left. I had actually taken twice as many as I thought. I stopped right then an relied on Advil.

Each day is an adventure in Soberland. Nearly took a few gulps of my wife's drink on the way to bed last night. It was just sitting there on the end table as I headed up to bad. A little voice in my head said "you might sleep a little better if you have just a bit to drink". Right now, I'm so glad I just kept walking up to bed. What a stupid thing that would have been to do.

Have an awesome Friday everyone!
Old 05-06-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Happy day 70 MITA!
Old 05-06-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Administrator

yes congrats again MITA

D
Old 05-06-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'll stick with British

D
As an American, I won't take exception to this statement, but I also won't tell Trump, lest he decide to build a wall around Australia, because, ya know, oceans are just not enough...
Old 05-06-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Glad you can stereotype again, clearlyheaded! Get it? I am with MITA on the pain meds. I was on an opiate for years, and for the year of my knee replacement, about the max dose. I think it did permanent damage to my brain. I dont seem to have the capacity for academic learning I had prior to that. In fact, I didnt know I was addicted until my doc gave me my first cortisone shot which relieved the pain by the next day. I didnt take any vicodin that day and went into serious withdrawal. Lesson learned. Glad you passed by the leftver drink, and glad to be able to say congrats on 70!

I can imagine May 5th is an active day in your neck of the woods, Lillian. I've worked there before, and grew up in La Habra. I still miss Cali, but couldn't afford it there now.

I like your tray, Casey. I like stuff like that as well. In fact this is yard sale weekend and my wife tried to put out the Van Gogh prints I bought at the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam twenty years ago. Nice try. I will admit the frames are outdated, but the prints have special meaning. Sunflower and Irises. Also got Starry Night.

Its a beautiful Friday here. I took a half day to help my son move out of his dorm and am loosening up in the hot tub now as I write. Thinking of pitching a tent as my accommodation tonight, and coming back tomorrow. No kayaks for this trip, though.

Speaking of kayak, how are you? I am going to follow your example with my son this summer and look forward to a summer of bonding. We have beginner models so rapids will be out, but floating and camping is not! Any advice for destinations in Kentucky, Indiana, or Ohio is welcome. I used to live on the mighty James, but never kayaked, only canoed.

Day 10, and I will echo Lillians sentiment of joy and serenity. Regardless of our surroundings, we can live our inner peace, only achieved through mindful sobriety.

Hope all have a great day or night!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Good morning, guys! Hope everyone is doing well. Things are great here. Husband is only home 2 days, so I probably won't be around much, but will be checking in.

Casey - that tray is cool. My kitchen is old Coca-Cola memorabilia. Not the new trendy stuff. I have trays from the 1940's that are authenticated, old advertising, stuff like that. Dehydrated water? Add to a gallon of water? I'm confused as to the purpose of that one. Cheeseburger in a can sounds like dog food, but it probably could be useful in a dip of some sort.

Lofty- you are sounding very good. Hope things are smoothing out on the home front. Your home is probably going to get chaotic with your twins home. Do you get to talk to your oldest son often?

Fabela, Good Afternoon. It's funny you asked for help with your American spelling. You are better than most I know - and like BBG said - if we didn't know you weren't from here - we wouldn't know.

Rah, Samantha, BBG, MITA - Good Morning.

Mish, Immri, Dee - Good Evening.

The rest of you - GET UP! Enjoy this beautiful day with me!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It's day 55 for me. In a row! Including nights and weekends.

I'm up reasonably early this morning. I can't decide if I slept good last night or not. I definitely see a nap in my future today.

Work tonight. Friday shifts are long and busy but usually worth it monetarily. I don't really have any other plans for the day. Besides that probable nap.

Hope your trip is off to a smooth start, Applekat. Enjoy your vacation and don't forget to check in when you can!

Is your son still returning from Florida today, Bobbieka? I have a couple of old Coca Cola trays from the 40s/50s. Perhaps I'll take a picture of all my collection soon.

How's lil' Ladybuglet today, Ladybug2? How's normal-sized Ladybug2?

Hope you check in soon and that things are going better today, Surrender2win. I hopped into bed last night and while my mind was winding down I all of a sudden remembered your stressed-out post of yesterday morning. Felt bad for not inquiring of you again throughout the day.

Hope your busy weekend goes well, Fabela. Don't forget to have some fun. I know you've got a lot to do as the host, but don't forget this is a joyous occasion for you too!

Good luck getting out of work early, samantha14. Maybe the lack of enthusiasm is just because you've been busy with ordinary life stuff?

Fantastic job on day 6 and on planning ahead for your weekend, rah555. Have a safe trip home this evening!

Yikes! Glad you didn't take those drinks, ManInTheArena. Sounds like that urge snuck right up on you. Good job thinking it thru! And congrats on day 70! While today is the most important day of all for any of us, it's nice always having you in the lead, clearing the trail for the rest of us.

Going to the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam would be one of my dream trips, clearlyheaded. Hope your garage sale goes well!

Things got awfully quiet down under while the rest of us were asleep, Bat-immri and Mish. Hope all is well with you!

Would love to hear from anyone who hasn't checked in yet today. Get in here! Build those accountability muscles.

Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what. Ask for help as soon as you need it. Help others whenever you can.

Wishing everyone a safe and sober Friday/Australian Saturday!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Congrats to Casey on 55 days!

Congrats to all who made it through cinco de mayo without a drink!

I just finished a great hike. It's a beautiful morning here. Planning a day at the beach or park with my BFF and our kids.

No headache today!

Life is good.

The ex is looking for a place I think everything will be ok

Have a great sober day everyone!

Xoxox
Old 05-06-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad your day and weekend are off to a good start, Jemma. And really glad the ex is on his way out. Keep on doing the next right thing!