Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Part 13

Old 05-05-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Okay, Pelagic. That was hilarious! Thanks for sharing that. I am sitting at my desk laughing. Get through today. Your disappointment will lessen. You can do it. We've got your back. I was thinking of you last night while I was helping my daughter write her last high school English paper (which was due 2 weeks ago). If you had been around, I'd have had you write it!
Old 05-05-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Off to the airport! Talk to you all later!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Would love to hear from clearlyheaded and Ladybug2 and Keets and forabetterlife and anyone else who hasn't checked in yet today. Build those accountability muscles!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ok, that was definitely worth the listen, Pelagic. Made me laugh out loud. Pee-wee definitely has a unique way of telling a story.

I watched the new Pee-wee Herman movie on Netflix this weekend. It was pretty darn good. Definitely recommend it if you're a fan.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I think I misstated the E in SOBER. Expand understanding. Same thing really.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

That video doesn't mean anything to me, I have no idea who this Pee Wee is...

Never mind. I'm done with today's chores, and now I'm taking a well earned rest with the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Man, I am stumped as to how to explain Pee-wee Herman to someone who didn't grow up with him. Maybe you just had to be there.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Casey's right. American boyhood in the late 1940's-60's was the backdrop for Pee Wee.

For what it's worth, I 've never seen a single episode of Grey's Anatomy. I lump all that stuff under the heading of "cadaver shows," and ignore it.

Cadavers/zombies were/are such a craze here in the states. My niece wanted to be a "forensic pathologist." Well, how a big a call is there for that, exactly? Try to talk her out of it. Nothing.

Now she's a chemist formulating house paints. Happy anyway. Ah well. you had to be there.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Grey's is the only doctor show I've ever watched, and I avoid all zombie movies.

I wonder if I can ask you guys a favor... English is not my native language and I'm still learning a lot, so if you see that I write something wrong, would you correct me? Idioms and prepositions are difficult for Norwegians, as they differ a lot from our language, but I'll take anything. I want to improve. As I might have said, I'm trying to write according to American spelling, so please tell me if I use British words/spellings.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Fabela if you hadn't just told me that English was not your native language I would never have known it. I can't say anything about your pronunciation but your writing is excellent!
Old 05-05-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Re-Member

There aren't very many differences between the two nowadays, and I think I've only seen you do it once anyways and we had a conversation about it at the time. I will do so again if I notice you spelling words the British way since you've asked.

But seriously, your English is amazing, occasional British spelling or not.

I found this huge list of 1,800+ words that are spelled differently between the two nationalities, but just looking it over, I'd guess at least 1,775 of those are words that no one in Britain or the US uses even once a year.

UK vs US spelling list
Old 05-05-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Wow, that list was cool! But seriously, I wasn't fishing for compliments or anything, I really want to improve my writing. Still, thank you for saying that, BBG and Casey, I appreciate it.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You're welcome. Now go watch Pee-wee's Big Adventure immediately!
Old 05-05-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I will, when (if) I have survived Saturday's ordeals. Right now I'm too stressed. (Stress is a huge risk factor for me, but I have dealt with this really well. My husband is surprised to see me doing so well, and I think that it is because I have decided to treat myself better. So now I don't sweep through the house like a tornado doing four things at a time, I take a lot of breaks and allow myself to relax more. I think this is the beginning of something good.)
Old 05-05-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'm just teasing. While I love Pee-wee, I don't think it's something that would translate well at all across 30 years time and a few thousand miles. Though I was kinda surprised that his TV show Pee-wee's Playhouse wasn't a thing in Europe in the late 80s/early 90s as well. It's got a very zany quality that I think would have appealed to overseas audiences at the time.

You're probably better off sticking to your Gray's Anatomy and Kimmy Schmidt. I'm about halfway thru the second season of it now. (Kimmy, not Gray.) Still enjoying it but I liked the first season a bit better, I think. But these new episodes still make me laugh, and that's the most important part of watching them.

You will most definitely survive the confirmation. I've never heard of death by confirmation. Sounds like a bad English murder mystery. You've got a good perspective and outlook on it all right now. That's a difference maker.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey LillianGish! Where are you? Haven't heard from you since you bought your chicken wings last evening. Hope all is well and you check in soon!
Old 05-05-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Just so you are aware - I did not eat wings, beets or sardines last night. Am ready for pulled pork sandwich, though.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Pulled pork is so yum! It's quite new here, it didn't get big until a few years ago. But now American restaurants are popping up everywhere. I suppose there are few Norwegian restaurants in the States.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ha! I just had brussels sprouts and pigs feet. Yummy! I bet your husband would love a similar welcome home meal, Bobbieka.

(I actually like brussels sprouts. Nine year old Casey would look at current me in horror.)

I haven't seen a specifically Norwegian restaurant but I have passed by a couple of restaurants billed as "Scandinavian" in Dallas and Austin. I haven't dined at any of them though. We barely have decent Chinese food where I live.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

44 year old Fabela is also looking at you in horror.