Notices

Class of December 2015 Pt 6

Old 05-13-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

I don't really know where to start ladies. Wishing Buddha a happy birthday seems as good a place as any, and I really did like the quote MissP. Thanks.

Fantastic news about your successes on the Athletics field Leasha, and more so on your sustained sobriety, without which none of us would succeed at anything in the long run. It was great to see your avatar pop up. Good luck in the Boston and keep us posted.

On the one hand there is you and MissP, Dragon Racing and running marathons, and then there's sleepie and I, either cocooned in our rooms or doing psychological head miles.

And you know what? I once would have felt a little envious about the terrific things you are both doing, but I don't now, I'm happy for you both, and happy for myself that I have been given the opportunity to have a shot at resolving some of the psychological, emotional garbage that I have been carrying, and which has kept me drunk for decades. I want you to be happy too sleepie.

I don't want that for myself anymore and sobriety has given me that choice, and that's enough in itself. Emotional and psychological wellbeing, what more could I want?

I feel sure, as you already know sleepie that you don't have to forgive to let go. I think you eluded to that in your post. I certainly can't forgive some of the outrages sustained in my life, but to not let them go would be to still give them power.

That's all my is-ness stuff was about, and it's what Ned was about too, I believe. This is it sleeps let's give it a good run for our money. I'm not getting sober for nothing.

I want to thank you MissP and sleepie for your patience and understanding. It's been a tumultuous journey. Sobriety works in mysterious ways.

I forgot to tell you. I bought a denim jacket at the op shop made from hemp. Even the buttons have got the word HEMP imprinted. Only cost me $4 and it is EXCELLENT. Had to beat my neighbour friend off with a stick she wanted it so bad. Gave her some sox instead.

Have a great weekend, and glad you have got yourself a break MissP. Enjoy.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Hi Leasha, congrats on reaping some good things from sobriety. I bet your heart really thanks you too with all the running!

I got a couple emails about Buddha's birthday from the temple I used to meditate at.

Earlier today I found a quite nice little bike and rather inexpensive considering it was new. It turns out it is Australian, it is basically a bargain bike by a company named Reid. I wonder if it'll last if I were to get it. I don't mind a cheaper bike as long as it is safe. I was hit by a car once 5 years ago, and then almost hit a year or 2 ago by 2 cars racing on a busy road. The near miss was actually quite frightening. I have been considering giving it up... just read a really horrifying tale of a man who was intentionally hit and dragged on his bike with the intention of doing so? By some gang members here. I would love to get outta this city, it's far too cold and violent for me.

Been daydreaming of New Orleans. How I love it there. Could see growing old there. Just cannot handle heat much. But all it's eccentricity is a perfect match for this gal.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Get the bike, sleepie. Get in the saddle again, it'll be fun! You wrote before about how much you liked to ride - it will be great for you to do that again.

I did something different today - you would be so proud of me. I went to an art class - a life drawing class. A friend won the class at a charity auction and invited me. Sleepie, I hope you give the art a go again soon. I tapped into the never used creative side of me and I had a ball.

After that everyone relaxed by having a drink (a few people were drinking wine during the class). I hung around a bit and then said my goodbyes. That but I didn't need. Now I'm heading home to watch the football. Hope everyone is doing fine.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

How about a picture MissP? Would love to see it.

Unfortunately there's nothing happening in my sketchbook. It's gone.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

I wish I took a picture sleepie! I was embarrassed to pull out my phone and take a picture of my own drawing although my friend did - I'll ask him to send it to me. I'd never used charcoal before and it was an interesting experience. I used to draw with pencil as a kid.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Yes please share!
Old 05-14-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Tomorrow I will be attending the Annual Juanita Neilsen Memorial Lecture, the 15th of its kind.

Juanita Neilsen was the publisher of NOW, a newspaper distributed in Kings Cross during the 1970's.

She opposed high rise development in the Cross and the destruction of old Victorian houses that used line it's streets. She published these views in NOW, and was kidnapped and murdered by thugs in the pay of big developers. No one has ever been charged with her murder.

The guest speaker will be Maha Abdo a Muslim woman speaking on Muslim women owning their own narrative without fear of being different. I am very much looking forward.

Now I'll just go smoke my denim jacket and pop a few HEMP buttons. Goodness me. Kidding, as if you didn't know, ha ha

Last edited by Steely; 05-14-2016 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-14-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hi all - hubby came home so lots of family time = little time to post. All is going well otherwise. Have been looking into my Myers Briggs type and some things are falling into place in regards to natural tendencies and so now have some more specific ideas for self care. More later gators!
Old 05-14-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Hi everyone --

I just wanted to drop in an introduce myself. I think I've posted in this group once a few months back, but I have relied mainly on posting in the newcomers forum. My getting sober date is December 27, 2015. I'm 139 days in. Things are much better than they were 139 days ago, but the challenges are there. My brain has been begging me for a drink these days, but I'm not giving in. I recognize my AV. I did think it'd be a good idea to post in here, however, and connect with those who are at the same time, respectively. Thanks for all of your posts. I do garner strength from them.

Mike
Old 05-14-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi everyone and welcome R and H

D
Old 05-14-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee
Old 05-14-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Enjoy the lecture, Steely, it should be insightful.

Jenses, I am a bit of a Myer-Briggs freak - I mean fan. I like that it is based on the work of Carl Jung, who was far more ground breaking that Freud. I've had my type tested professionally via work a few times through the years and consistently come out an INTJ. It has helped me make sense of why I am the way I am. I'm highly, highly introverted, and quite extreme in a couple of the other functions.

Rattle & Hum, welcome! I get it - even though sometimes I don't say much here, just knowing this specific place is here on SR, where I can always drop by and post something, helps a lot.

I have a yoga class this morning - I've switched the classes to 8.30 am on a Sunday which, frankly, is great because that way I get to go to a 10.15 am Bodypump class at my gym and then by midday I am fully sorted. Even if I just putz around the rest of the day, it's nice to have a productive morning.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Myers-Briggs has always fascinated me. The first time I took it, I scored an INFP. Since then, I've pretty consistently scored as an INFJ (more judgmental with age? ).

Thanks for the welcome
Old 05-16-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Hope everyone's well.

Mike, my sister and her husband are INFJs, and they're two of my favourite, most-loved people in the world. Of course I love all my family, but we three happen to do a lot of stuff together, like going on holidays and out for dinner together, running road races and silly crazy stuff you do with people who know you through and through. They're both extremely pragmatic but very sincere and caring people. I never feel like the third wheel when I've with them, as I sometimes do with other couples.

Now, I'm going to be straight up here. I'm in a funny headspace at the moment. I skipped the gym today and came directly home from work, which since I've been sober has been a rare occurrence for me. I've got stuff going on in my head and I'm processing it. It's been churning for about 2 weeks now and I'm not sure where it's going to come out.

It has something to do with the weekend I stopped drinking. There's a thread in the Alcoholism forum asking about the last drink you've had and I keep writing my story there and then changing my mind and deleting it. Done that about 3 times now. Might finally do it tonight or the next couple of days.

It's complicated. It has to do with the fella I broke up with the last weekend I drank. I told myself I'd stay away from him for 6 months, but I made it to five. Staying away from alcohol is one thing, staying away from the one you love is another. But, that's a whole other story - I'm not even sure I should put it all out here, but I'll put out this much for now. I didn't really want to, but I have the strong feeling it's going to be part of my recovery.

Well, for a change of topic, here's a picture of the charcoal drawing I did at the art class.

I kind of like it. Hope sleepie appreciates it too!

Steely... how was the lecture ...?
Old 05-16-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

So as not to be rude, need to let people know that I have decided to stop posting on this thread and will (just) pursue an active role in reading and posting where I feel the need.

I believe this to be normal a progression, or maybe it has something to do with my "personality?"

The lecture is not be be held until next week but the edit button had timed-out so could not correct. Works out better for me actually, as have a lot to do re my brother, etc.

I thought your charcoal drawing was very good MissP, you have talent.

Ride high in the saddle sleepie, and stay upright. I understand the fear as a cyclist on busy roads. Stick your bum in the centre of the road and hold the line. They'll take you out just for a laugh.

I wish everyone the very, very best on their journey.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Thanks Steely. You've been a great friend on this thread. Please, please drop in whenever you want or feel the need to. There's always going to be a spot in the Dec 2015 thread for you.

I very much hope I haven't done or omitted to do something that concerned you - that would upset me if that were the case and I sincerely apologise if it is.

But you must look after yourself and do what's right for you.

You'll be missed!
Old 05-17-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

I hope I didn't crowd the place too much by joining the convo.

Very cool artwork, Missperfumado. Drawing was a pretty big part of my life before my drinking days. Writing, too. Maybe some of that will come back. Keep at it
Old 05-17-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure whats going on steely but you know the drill - always welcome

No worries R&H

D
Old 05-17-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

R&H, no way you're crowding things here on the contrary, it's great to have you here!

Ah, yesterday I had to leave work early to meet a lady from the removalist company who is going to give me a quote for packing and moving my stuff 4000 miles to Melbourne. It's not my first rodeo. This will be my 5th interstate or international move in 13 years. But I've always moved on, never gone back. This time I'm going home. When the removalist lady was talking to me about filling out the customs forms etc., I had an overwhelming urge to cry and had to focus hard to stop tears from springing to my eyes. I'm not sure where the emotion was coming from. I keep thinking how for years I was not ready to go home, how I was always restless and looking for something new, and now I'm ready because there's nothing to look for "out there". I'm finding it "in here".

Two nights ago I was too bummed out emotionally to do any exercise, but last night I went for a run in the evening outside. I don't do that often enough - I normally run on a treadmill in the gym. But it was lovely being outside in the coolness. My mind is clearer now about what to do, and it has to be to stay on the path and carry on with my new life. Some baggage is best left behind when you return from your travels!

Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Best of luck on your move, Miss P! I've never moved far from my hometown in Northern VA, so it's hard for me to imagine moving away -- especially that far away -- for a long stretch of time then moving back. I do have some regrets over not seeing the world a little more when I was in my 20s. I definitely didn't have it in me to move and explore new horizons while drinking. I just stood still while life moved on around me. Well, sat still more like it. I remember wanting to move to Colorado after college, but I found a barstool instead and pretty much stayed put