Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Part 12

Old 05-02-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
Yes, that's what I wanted but my dad said she wouldn't like that.
Okay. On it. Will try and think of something awesome.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Shift was short. I was set to close the restaurant like I suspected I would be but swapped into an earlier cut section with someone who is scrambling to pay their rent on time this new month. Unlike me. Which feels good. I've been so irresponsible with my finances in the past, it is nice when I do the correct adult thing and pay my bills on time or even ahead of time.

LoftyIdeals, I'm sorry you feel like you need to leave us, though I understand the reasoning. We're here anytime you need us. I do hope you continue on the road to recovery that you've laid out lately--the counseling, etc. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. We'll miss your butt rock. Please check in if you ever feel like you can.

Thanks for sharing your cake with us, Purplrks3647! And once again congrats to everyone who has celebrated a milestone yesterday and today.

Glad you checked in, clearlyheaded. That's good you're trying to limit the pain meds but also remember they're prescribed a certain amount for a reason. There's nothing wrong with taking them as long as you're not abusing the doctor's orders. Please keep checking in when you can. Even if it's just a one sentence, "I'm here and sober." We're all pulling for you.

How are you doing tonight, forabetterlife?

rah555, maybe a manicure/pedicure or spa day together with your mom? Any family members that neither of you see often but would like to that you could visit together? Spend all the time you can with her. This'll be my third Mother's Day since my mother died unexpectedly. She had her issues but I still miss her every single day. Congrats on wrapping up day two. Keep on doing the next right thing!

Would love to hear how your day at work went, Missy7.

Good morning, immri! Hope things are going well for you today in the land of drop bears. Give that old Beast a scratch behind the ears for me.

How are you tonight, ManInTheArena?

Congrats on day 9, Mish! Nine has always been my favorite number. You put a bunch of nines in a row and you can write the biggest number in the world. Have a nice day at work!

My internet is being a butthead right now, had to make my phone a hotspot to post this. Drinking some pomegranate juice and soda, an alternate version of my favorite cranberry and soda. Going to watch my other HBO shows from last night--Silicon Valley and Veep. I'm really going to try to start going to bed much earlier. I feel like I waste my day when I go to bed so late and then wake up late. That doesn't really make sense as I'm getting the same # of hours of sleep no matter when I start it, but it's just how I feel.

If you haven't checked in yet today, hope you'll do so soon. No judgment here--you can do this one day at a time just like all of us are.

If you're thinking of drinking, get in here and ask for help. And remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
. We'll miss your butt rock.
Seriously, BEST PHRASE EVER
Old 05-02-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Yeah, I'm quite the poet sometimes, ain't I?
Old 05-02-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

You had me until you said ain't. Lol. You can take the boy out of Texas....
Old 05-02-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Re-Member

This boy has lived in Texas his whole life.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

I bet that drawl is thick.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Embarrassingly so. Even other Texans make fun of it. Sigh.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

My accent is goofy. Not southern, not northern. I'd love to say I was accent less, but I know better.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Embarrassingly so. Even other Texans make fun of it. Sigh.
That's rough. Am sure it's cute. I think immri, Mish and Dee would be fun to listen to. I assume MITA and Applekat sound very east coast. No clue about Fabela, but since she's multilingual, she might have no discernible accent. Our west coast friends are probably closest to no accent. Can't imagine Samantha's - will have to research now.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Oh, and I bet Kayak has strong southern accent, just different than yours.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Speaking of, I don't believe Kayak63sc has checked in today. Where are you, good buddy?

I forgot to mention this earlier but when I was at the grocery store there was the guy standing next to me at the butcher counter who smelled absolutely awful. I don't mean like normal body odor from not bathing. He had that smell like his pores were just oozing out sweat made entirely of vodka or whiskey or something. Just that awful smell our bodies and breath get when we've really gone on a binge the day before. He smelled like my dry cottonmouth felt on those days. It really turned my stomach and my head, made me remember just how awful those days felt. I felt for him, but that was mixed with my being glad I never have to feel that way again. Sorry if this was all too graphic, but it was just a good reminder for me of where I was and where I don't want to be again.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

My accent is odd too. lots of Aussies think I'm British (my family all are, so I guess I picked up bits?) but the UK side of my family definitely think I sound completely Australian. I'm stuck in no mans land! The best accent is a friend of mine from remote central Australia, he has a really strong "G'day mate" cliche Aussie accent, which is rare in my state. Makes us laugh.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Do Americans all have different accents between states? I can definitely hear your Southern accents versus what I guess I just think of as 'general American accent', but you guys can hear the difference between lots of states?
Old 05-02-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Yes. We have very regional accents as well as dialect.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by immri View Post
Do Americans all have different accents between states? I can definitely hear your Southern accents versus what I guess I just think of as 'general American accent', but you guys can hear the difference between lots of states?
Absolutely. I wouldn't say every state has its own specific accent but you could clump them together in groups that would get you to at least like 35 or so very noticeable (to us Americans at least) different accents among the 50 states. Maybe even more. There is a big clump of the midwest states, like where Bobbie is on the edge of, that do kinda sound the same with just some minor regional differences. And of course there are lots of ethnic differences in accents too.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Casey and I, for example, probably sound like we're from 2 different countries.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

How interesting, I never realised there was so much variation but I suppose it's always harder for outsiders to hear those differences.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by immri View Post
How interesting, I never realised there was so much variation but I suppose it's always harder for outsiders to hear those differences.
It can be like night and day, immri. Being from the Northeast I'm sure I sound way different than Bobbie or Casey. My cousin grew up, and still lives, in Texas and it's remarkable how different it is.

When I was checking out colleges many years ago I stayed in DC with a different cousin. Roomies were fascinated by my accent and requested I say certain Northeast phrases that nobody actually says.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

I love hearing about everyone's accents! I can picture them in my head.

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Our west coast friends are probably closest to no accent.
Well....this is a spoof on Southern California accents and how many freeways we have here. It's a little true....there's a bit of surfer in all of us.

Watch The Californians: Stuart Has Cancer From Saturday Night Live - NBC.com

Sorry 'bout the commercial!