Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 03-30-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sorry it was a rough day, samantha14. Drinking will only make it worse, of course.

I'd turn down the party. Put your recovery first. Doesn't sound like slight disapproval from your boss will put your job in any immediate jeopardy. Leave the drinking party to the drinkers. You're not one of them anymore.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Hi all, quick post to say meeting went well- ex wasn't there, met up with sponsor beforehand and got home safe and sound tonight. Off to bed now as I'm up at 6am tomorrow and am out all day so apologies in advance for my absence, hope to post when I get in at night time.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Thanks Casey. I'm not planning on going tomorrow. It would only lead to disaster. Thanks for the support.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad the meeting went well, 1stepup. Good luck tomorrow and thanks for checking in!
Old 03-30-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Hello class! Here's my check in for today. Day 31. It was a pretty good day. Spring break for kids still. Any of the stay at home parents on this thread can relate to how much we probably both love school vacations and are exhausted by them. With the new baby to add this year, I'm not sure how I will make it through the summer break. Haha! But truthfully I found myself fantasizing about a glass of crisp white wine. I am going to have to work on this every minute of every day.

And I am not sure how I am just saying no to the AV this go around. I still have so many thoughts and cravings but not even giving them an inch. Hope it stays that way!

I have to pull out my recovery related book list to give myself a dose of "scare" again soon.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Day 4 for me,So many times I have tried I have to get it this time.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR and to the Class of March 2016, Kayak63sc.Congratulations on choosing a better way of life in recovery. Hope you'll become an active participant here. This is a great group.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Welcome, Kayak. Good job on day 4.

Applekat, I did some research on stay at home moms and alcoholism. It seems this is truly an issue. I wonder if I had known this 15 years ago, I might have been more aware of my behavior?
Old 03-30-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Checking in!
Casey, my username is just a variation of my name and I like the number 4. I don't have an avatar. My parents are normal drinkers, they literally have one or two like once a week. I've seen them have more than that (like 3 or 4 drinks) one time each. My brother is a recovering alcoholic with 7 yrs sobriety. Thanks for all your encouragement and support. You are amazing!

Kiki, I'm definitely at stage 2. And reading your list of what happens when you drink is pretty much my life, only I have managed to quit smoking and have no craving for that whatsoever. (Pregnancy cured my craving??) I was so sick in early pregnancy that I have never felt the urge again and my baby is 11 months old. I've also lost several friends to alcoholism at very young ages--heat stroke, drowning, car accidents, organ failure.

Surrender, my drinking pattern is similar to yours. I make it about a month and then I relapse terribly. I will go on a 3-7 day binge then. Then another month of sobriety and the cycle continues.

I'm at about a month of sobriety now and am breaking the cycle

Welcome to all the newcomers!

Have a happy sober day all!
Old 03-30-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
I enjoyed the answers I got to my question yesterday about your usernames/avatars, so thought I'd ask another question today: Did you grow up around alcohol or drinkers? How did that affect you as a child?
I forgot to answer about my username & Avatar. I love cats! KiKi is short for Kitty Kitty. My avatar is a cat. Pretty boring. Ha.

No one in my family is an alcoholic except (((maybe))) my grandma. She drank heavily for several years & I saw her drunk many times as a child (from what I remember) but she stopped when she got in her late 70's and now can drink occasionally. She's in her 90's. It's a big mystery about her alcoholism but 2 out of 4 of her grandchildren (me & my cousin) are alcoholics....and my mother and her sister (my grandmas 2 kids) are pretty screwed up in other ways. My aunt over-eats & smokes & is very obese. My mom is just.....crazy.....!

Lots of family secrets on my grandmas side of the family....LOTS!!! I gave up trying to figure it out.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
My parents did not and still do not drink. Strict Pentecostal. My friend's parents drank a lot though, and it seemed so cool. We started stealing their alcohol around 14. She is still a heavy drinker and the two of us don't talk right now. I was still sneaking drinks with her 6 months ago! My brothers do not drink at all and my sister drinks very rarely. So my parents were on to something - I just missed it.
Hmmmm....very interesting... ;-)
Old 03-30-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Phew, made it through day three. I'm starting to feel a bit better and spent most of afternoon adding manure and rototilling garden. Going to go to bed early. A thousand times during day I'd catch myself worrying about the mess I've made of my life but keep replacing those thoughts with : Patience, patience- if you stay sober, life will get better. Once I gain a bit of self respect and confidence. Reading the comments is a good way to end the day. Thanks everyone
Old 03-30-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on another day sober, Gardengirl80! Gardening sounds like a great tool to have in your recovery plan.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

I come from a long line of alcoholics on both sides of my family. My dad has been sober since 1983. My mom's dad was sober for over 30 years when he died in 2014. Almost all of my aunts and uncles could be described as alcoholics and/or addicts. My mom abused prescription pills from my early teenage years until the day she passed away. My dad met my absolutely wonderful step-mom at an AA group in 1990. (She's not an alcoholic but was running the Alateen program there for children of alcoholics as she grew up in a house filled with recovery as well.) But all that being said, I really don't remember alcohol being around at all as a child. My dad sobered up when I was eight. He's never really told me any of his drinking war stories, just the bare outline that it was bad and he's glad he sobered up. But I don't remember him drinking at all. There are some childhood photos of me sitting on his lap while he has a can of Coors in his hand. Lots of memories of the wreckage that my mom's addiction and mental issues caused because most of them happened when I was 13-15 years old. She never drank--in fact she hated alcohol because of her memories of her own dad's drinking during her childhood--but she was a very smart woman who spent her life working in pharmacies and doctor's offices so she knew how to con the system into getting her whatever prescriptions she wanted. I spent a lot of time around AA clubhouses as a child because of my dad and granddad so have heard all the recovery phrases and cliches for almost my whole life. Sometimes I thought every single item in our house had been decorated with the phrase "one day at a time" or the serenity prayer. I actually didn't take my first drink myself until I was 24 years old because I had always heard that alcoholism is genetic and I didn't want to go down that road. But once I did finally start drinking, I would say I was drinking alcoholically within six months if not sooner. It was an instant feeling of "this is what I've been missing my whole life." I've known I needed to stop drinking since summer 2002. I would guess that growing up around so many recovering alcoholics made me a little more aware of my situation than normal but it also may have made sobering up a little harder as I've found I just can't fully commit to the program of AA and that's how most of my relatives sobered up.
Wow, that's a very interesting story about your family Casey. Since AA worked so well for your family, do you think you might dive in at some point? I bet you could really help a lot of people! :-)
Old 03-30-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renew12 View Post
to new members of our class. Anyone back to day one, glad your here. We only have today. Kiki, I relate to your list. It captures the different categories of powerlessness, unmanageability in our lives. I have similar lists. How alcohol affected my health, (i.e. physical, mental, spiritual), my relationships, my finances, legal, etc. It's helpful to get it on paper. My alcoholism turned to drinking at home alone later. It's progressive. I ended up drinking even more, until the day I had reverse tolerance. It always gets worse imo. I'm so happy your making healthier decisions, recognizing your triggers, using tools to overcome. You have a good plan for when that old AV is having a tantrum Casey, Thank you so much for all your support to everyone! I for one need to hear the same messages over & over. My brain needs daily reinforcement. Everyone here you . Please check in. Casey & others are correct, we are stronger together. I'm off to try & find Dee's links on plans & tips. Unless, one of you young whippersnappers can find them first. They are excellent.
Hi Renew, did you binge drink/drink at bars etc at one point & then it progressed to drinking at home? Just curious.

And...What does "imo" mean and what is reverse tolerance?

Good to hear from you! :-)
Old 03-30-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

You tell it, KiKi! Alcohol is poison for us. Period.
Haha I told it & it finally shut up! ;-)
Old 03-30-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Wow, that's a very interesting story about your family Casey. Since AA worked so well for your family, do you think you might dive in at some point? I bet you could really help a lot of people! :-)
I don't know. It's always an option, I guess, but there are some things about AA that I really don't agree with. Not going to go into them here as I don't think it's appropriate as there are people here who are benefiting from the program. There are also tons of things I love about the program as well and I've tried to incorporate them into my recovery today--the most obvious being step 12 and helping another alcoholic in need being the best way for me to stay sober today. That basic tenet is how Bill W. met Dr. Bob in the first place, and I think it's absolutely amazing how much power there is in the simple act of one alcoholic helping another and thus keeping them both sober.

If I felt like my recovery was on the line right now, first thing I'd do is post in here and next thing I'd do is get to an AA meeting and ask someone for some face to face help. So it's always an option. But I would have trouble fully committing to the program there at this time so it's not a regular part of my recovery as of right now.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samantha14 View Post
Hi everyone, Today was a brutal day for me. I got to work at 4:45am and I am just leaving now. I am tired and cranky and I want a drink. Work is a trigger for me (but how do you avoid it) - it feels like everyone comes to me with their problems and issues and it's exhausting. Every day I have at least one person in my office crying. Today it was two. Also as a side note - my boss sent out an "end of first quarter" party invite for tomorrow afternoon - drinks (of course) and appetizers. Whenever anyone declines you can just tell she disapproves. Feels like a tough and stressful day all around. I will catch up on all I missed later
Wow! What a day Samantha! How are you doing now?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Sorry it was a rough day, samantha14. Drinking will only make it worse, of course. I'd turn down the party. Put your recovery first. Doesn't sound like slight disapproval from your boss will put your job in any immediate jeopardy. Leave the drinking party to the drinkers. You're not one of them anymore.
I agree with Casey!!! ^^^
Old 03-30-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samantha14 View Post
Thanks Casey. I'm not planning on going tomorrow. It would only lead to disaster. Thanks for the support.
Sorry, I'm reading the posts in order. My computer won't let me log on to SR anymore for some reason so I have to use my iphone.

So glad you aren't gonna drink Samantha! You would regret it. You're doing great!