Administrator

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part 5

last part here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-20.html

D
Old 03-26-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Hi Samantha! I'm glad you had a successful meeting! You're doing great!

Powerlessness was hard for me until my sponsor asked me a question. She said "when you drink can you predict exactly how the night will end? Can you stop after 1-2 drinks? Can you easily NOT drink for 90 days without even thinking about it?" Of course my answer was "NO" to all of those so I am powerless over alcohol.

I am also powerless AFTER I start drinking alcohol. When I drink I turn my power over to alcohol. Sometimes I drink and get home from the bar safely and sometimes I pass out in the bathroom of the bar and don't remember how I got home. I never really know what the end of the night will be like once I start drinking.

One time I drank so much that I woke up in an emergency room because I fell backwards and hit my head on the concrete sidewalk. I got a bunch of stitches and don't even remember it! Anything could have happened to me that night & I wouldn't have known. I had ZERO power.

I'm sure other people will have input for you. Another way I look at powerlessness is I will SWEAR that I am NEVER gonna drink again and 4 days later I will get a HUGE craving and suddenly forget all the hell that alcohol causes in my life. Even though I really don't "want" to drink, my craving is so strong that I feel like I can't resist! Who has the power in that situation? Not me!

What I had to do was not get caught up on semantics. The only requirement for membership to AA is a desire to stop drinking. If alcohol is causing problems in your life and you can't stop or control how much you drink then that's really all that matters. I get stuck on the wording of some of the things in AA and over-think everything. I try to remember to stop thinking so much because my best thinking gets me drunk! Haha.

Does that make sense? I don't know if it does so here are a few articles:

Powerless Over Alcohol - BreakingTheCycles.com

What Does Powerlessness Mean? | An Addict's Definition

By admitting that they are powerless over alcoholthe individual is saying that they are unable to control their intake. This means that they now accept that they have lost their battle against alcohol and no longer believe that they will ever be able to drink safely. If the individual continues to hold onto the idea that they may be able to drink again normally at a later date it means they have not fully accepted their powerlessness. They may be able to stop drinking, but their ambivalent attitude is likely to leave them susceptible to relapse. It is only by fully accepting powerlessness that the individual can move forward effectively.
Wow, power post Kiki. I couldn't come up with the words.

I read bk four pgs. I don't have much to say. Just tired, but grateful for another sober day. Still, I need to go back maybe early next wk & read your post on breaking the cycle.

My eyes hurt & I haven't made dinner. My hubs became an somewhere along the way. He's enjoying the game. Has ice on his neck, from getting one of those bad overnight sleeping kinks.

Congrats to everyone on staying sober just for today. Anyone struggling, please keep coming back. We are all worth it. Thank you for being here.

I tried to post, but thread was closed. Realized it must be at 500 posts. Glad I copy & paste ..
Old 03-26-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Made it through day 4! Couldn't have done it without you guys! Onward!!! Nite!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome Kiki! Nite!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Day 4 done and dusted Kiki. We knew you could do it.
Day 2 for me. All good. Went driving to a few waterfalls with hubby and kids this morning. Just watching the Dockers get smashed by the Bulldogs....yay AFL is back on.
Have a safe and Happy Easter Sunday everyone.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Just got home from work. Lot of great recovery happening here tonight. Congrats to everyone who had a sober Saturday and welcome back to those of you who are back after drinking. I'm so proud to be a part of this group. Finishing up day 14 right now. Two weeks!

Thanks to each and every one of you for keeping me sober one more day.

Heading to bed. I've got a long day of work tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yay Kiki knew you could do it! So glad you're past that horrid day 4. Really proud of you. I hope you have a nice sleep and wake up feeling good for day 5

Mish - waterfalls ❤️ how lovely. I don't keep up with AFL but oh man everyone else in my life seems to, they're pretty thrilled too! It's nice when there's more things to do/watch. Little things that make life more enjoyable

Casey - glad you checked in, I hope you have a good sleep
Old 03-27-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 5 !!!

Morning all - starting Day 5 wow, randomly couldnt sleep again last night but feeling so much better off out to get some breakfast and visit friends usual bank holiday morning wake up when hangover allowed so all good !!! Have a great day everyone x
Old 03-27-2016, 01:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good morning, class! I'm sooo tired, even though I went to bed early. My twelve-year-old daughter has claimed Hubby's side of the bed when he's away, and she turns into an octopus when she sleeps. Arms and legs everywhere. Oh well.

It's a wonderful day and I feel so happy and proud of myself. Day 12 today, and I am beginning to think that I can do this.

Pelagic, I just hope that I can do it. Can't wait to see the sweater!

Kiki, you're doing so well! Staying off Facebook isn't a big price to pay. And your garden sounds like heaven!

Wishing you a wonderful day, you are family to me now and I am so grateful that you are in my life. <3
Old 03-27-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

7:30am - Happy Easter Everyone!!

Kiki - I am so proud of you!! Congratulations!!! Be sure to do something nice for yourself today. I read all you posts and I know it was a difficult day but you worked your way thru it!! So so proud of youa,,

CaseyW - hope you are getting some well deserved rest after a long day at work and another today. Be sure to take time for yourself,

I had a really bad day yesterday and needless to say I need a good day today. I have so much running thru my mind and that's when the medicine helped. I didn't have to think too much. I cleaned yesterday then went running around like a chicken with my head cutoff. I didn't get home until 9:30pm. Today I am cooking for the family then cleanup just to wake up Monday with no job. I feel like I am just holding on right now.. I almost thought of trying to cancel dinner today but that is not who I am. I think I am expecting too much too soon:-(.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well day three has begun and I am feeling pretty strong....the only challenge will be the wine at dinner tonight at the in-law's, but with my husband and daughter there I will have a lot of support.

Happy Sunday!!
Old 03-27-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday and Happy Easter to those that celebrate it.

Kiki and Janeeb, nice work on getting to day 5. Kiki, way to break the cycle!

For those suffering from lack of sleep - I'm right with you. I struggle with insomnia but I'll take tired and sober every day!!

Hope everyone has a great day. I am starting month 2 today and looking to add some regular exercise and better nutrition to my plan. Nothing huge, but hopefully just get moving in a better direction and give myself some new activities.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Happy Easter!

Kiki... Great job on making it through the dreaded day #4!!

Casey, Yay!! 2 weeks

Mish...waterfalls sound wonderful and relaxing... ahhhh

I'm cooking for the family today and have a ton of chocolate! Hoping the grandkids eat it all before I have to take over!

Congrats to everyone making it through another sober day. Big hugs to all struggling. This disease is a beast but we can do this!!
Old 03-27-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Just got home from work. Lot of great recovery happening here tonight. Congrats to everyone who had a sober Saturday and welcome back to those of you who are back after drinking. I'm so proud to be a part of this group. Finishing up day 14 right now. Two weeks!

Thanks to each and every one of you for keeping me sober one more day.

Heading to bed. I've got a long day of work tomorrow.
Awesome work Casey. 14 days is a huge achievement. Hope you have sweet dreams tonight xxx
Old 03-27-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Happy Easter!!!

Day 2 and looking forward to a nice, sober day with my family. Having my Mom and my husband's family over for dinner later so going to be a busy day. Will check back later tonight
Old 03-27-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
Good morning, class! I'm sooo tired, even though I went to bed early. My twelve-year-old daughter has claimed Hubby's side of the bed when he's away, and she turns into an octopus when she sleeps. Arms and legs everywhere. Oh well.

It's a wonderful day and I feel so happy and proud of myself. Day 12 today, and I am beginning to think that I can do this.

Pelagic, I just hope that I can do it. Can't wait to see the sweater!

Kiki, you're doing so well! Staying off Facebook isn't a big price to pay. And your garden sounds like heaven!

Wishing you a wonderful day, you are family to me now and I am so grateful that you are in my life. <3
Hahhaha Fabela I have bed claiming octopus children too!! Hope you get some rest soon xxx
Old 03-27-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Hahhaha Fabela I have bed claiming octopus children too!! Hope you get some rest soon xxx
They're a rare breed, octopus children.

I feel high. I've never done drugs (except alcohol) and I think this is what high feels like. I'm high on life. No, actually I'm high on ME. I have never believed that I could do something like this, and now I am doing it. Even if I stumble and fall tomorrow, I have learned so many things about myself, things I never thought I had. For the first time I am letting go of the past, and focusing on the present. I'll learn to think of the future eventually, right now the present is all I have and all I need.

(Please, if I'm too cheerful and bubbly you may slap me with a cod, as long as it isn't frozen.... *Norwegian proverb*)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 1. lots to think about....
Old 03-27-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Do you want to talk about it, Chickie?
Old 03-27-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just a quick check in before we head to church & my in laws for Easter. I'm not worried about drinking today. I will be around too many people & I drank in "secret".

Anyway...THANK YOU so much for helping me get through day 4 yesterday and thank you for all you encouraging posts this morning. You guys are truly amazing with huge hearts!

ChickChick-I'm thinking about you & praying too. Hang in there. (((Hug)))