Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 03-30-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beerbgone View Post
I'm in the process of making me a "think through the drink" list just like you have. I think that's a great idea. Now I just have to make myself do it when my AV acts up!
Awesome!!! Since it worked for me yesterday when I had a craving I feel safer today if another huge craving comes along because I know I can read it again. :-)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

"No such thing as "only" a week sober, KiKi. A week is amazing! So glad you're back on the right track. I'm sure we can all identify with that detailed list of the consequences of taking that first drink. Thanks for sharing that wonderful tool! And I was definitely firmly well into the second stage with one toe dipped into stage 3 as described in your link."

Thanks Casey!!! Your posts are so nice. Thank you for taking so much time and caring about all of us. It's so nice. :-)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joe1987 View Post
Beautiful post Casey, Day 2 for me here and reading your post has just reinstated why I'm here! Thank you for helping me not drink today
Great job Joe!!! :-)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Awesome!!! Since it worked for me yesterday when I had a craving I feel safer today if another huge craving comes along because I know I can read it again. :-)
^^^^ Actions and thoughts like this are exactly what Dee is talking about when he talks about the importance of having a plan in recovery. Great job, KiKi.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I enjoyed the answers I got to my question yesterday about your usernames/avatars, so thought I'd ask another question today:

Did you grow up around alcohol or drinkers? How did that affect you as a child?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Shut up AV!
Old 03-30-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

My parents did not and still do not drink. Strict Pentecostal. My friend's parents drank a lot though, and it seemed so cool. We started stealing their alcohol around 14. She is still a heavy drinker and the two of us don't talk right now. I was still sneaking drinks with her 6 months ago!

My brothers do not drink at all and my sister drinks very rarely. So my parents were on to something - I just missed it.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

What time zone are you in Kiki?
Old 03-30-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post

I come from a long line of alcoholics on both sides of my family. My dad has been sober since 1983. My mom's dad was sober for over 30 years when he died in 2014. Almost all of my aunts and uncles could be described as alcoholics and/or addicts. My mom abused prescription pills from my early teenage years until the day she passed away. My dad met my absolutely wonderful step-mom at an AA group in 1990. (She's not an alcoholic but was running the Alateen program there for children of alcoholics as she grew up in a house filled with recovery as well.)

But all that being said, I really don't remember alcohol being around at all as a child. My dad sobered up when I was eight. He's never really told me any of his drinking war stories, just the bare outline that it was bad and he's glad he sobered up. But I don't remember him drinking at all. There are some childhood photos of me sitting on his lap while he has a can of Coors in his hand.

Lots of memories of the wreckage that my mom's addiction and mental issues caused because most of them happened when I was 13-15 years old. She never drank--in fact she hated alcohol because of her memories of her own dad's drinking during her childhood--but she was a very smart woman who spent her life working in pharmacies and doctor's offices so she knew how to con the system into getting her whatever prescriptions she wanted.

I spent a lot of time around AA clubhouses as a child because of my dad and granddad so have heard all the recovery phrases and cliches for almost my whole life. Sometimes I thought every single item in our house had been decorated with the phrase "one day at a time" or the serenity prayer.

I actually didn't take my first drink myself until I was 24 years old because I had always heard that alcoholism is genetic and I didn't want to go down that road. But once I did finally start drinking, I would say I was drinking alcoholically within six months if not sooner. It was an instant feeling of "this is what I've been missing my whole life."

I've known I needed to stop drinking since summer 2002. I would guess that growing up around so many recovering alcoholics made me a little more aware of my situation than normal but it also may have made sobering up a little harder as I've found I just can't fully commit to the program of AA and that's how most of my relatives sobered up.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

to new members of our class. Anyone back to day one, glad your here. We only have today.

Kiki,

I relate to your list. It captures the different categories of powerlessness, unmanageability in our lives. I have similar lists. How alcohol affected my health, (i.e. physical, mental, spiritual), my relationships, my finances, legal, etc. It's helpful to get it on paper.

My alcoholism turned to drinking at home alone later. It's progressive. I ended up drinking even more, until the day I had reverse tolerance. It always gets worse imo. I'm so happy your making healthier decisions, recognizing your triggers, using tools to overcome. You have a good plan for when that old AV is having a tantrum

Casey,

Thank you so much for all your support to everyone! I for one need to hear the same messages over & over. My brain needs daily reinforcement.

Everyone here you . Please check in. Casey & others are correct, we are stronger together.

I'm off to try & find Dee's links on plans & tips. Unless, one of you young whippersnappers can find them first. They are excellent.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Shut up AV!
You tell it, KiKi! Alcohol is poison for us. Period.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Renew12 View Post

I'm off to try & find Dee's links on plans & tips. Unless, one of you young whippersnappers can find them first. They are excellent.
I'm not young or a whippersnapper but here ya go:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

I was also definitely suffering from reverse tolerance the last few years. I wasn't able to drink near as much as I used to but it was affecting me just as badly or worse than ever.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Of course I had the same feeling last year and did stop doing what was working and that didn't end well at all. Have to remember that too. The fellowship here was the difference for me last year and it is again now. I need to always keep that in mind.
Me too Casey.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

I'm not young or a whippersnapper but here ya go:

Lol.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Can we keep this as a signature or continue to bump the link?

I was also definitely suffering from reverse tolerance the last few years. I wasn't able to drink near as much as I used to but it was affecting me just as badly or worse than ever.
Me too. It's scary. I hate alcohol!... Yet, I do understand that non-alkies have a different relationship to alcohol. I'm not going to let it continue robbing me of my life....
Old 03-30-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

I enjoyed the answers I got to my question yesterday about your usernames/avatars, so thought I'd ask another question today:

My Dad drank a little. My parents were divorced when I was 2-3 yrs old. I didn't see him much. My Mom drank very little, took a few pills. She had a food addiction, was at times quite emotionally & physically abusive. So was Dad. My Mom's Dad was an alkie. Heard stories on Dad's side of alcoholism. I've read it can skip a generation, also some European decents may have the gene. I spent time growing up with my Mom's parents & yes I saw them drink. Mainly Grandpa. He was angry a lot. My other grandparents didn't drink or smoke. They were of strong faith in God. Not that, it always matters.

I drank alcoholically the first time as a young teen. I believe I was suffering depression & anxiety from young childhood. Alcohol gave me that euphoric feeling & escape I desired. However, it stopped producing most pleasant effects long ago.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

AV getting quieter......
Old 03-30-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Today's Thought was about "pure relationships" I don't relate too much to this message. I did in part understand this. We may, "discover ourselves through our relationships with others". Along with the love, grace I receive through God.

Hope everyone's day brings some peace!....

Old 03-30-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

No reason, really. You were screaming at your AV and I was going to get you in conversation. Looks like Casey did a good job of that. I like his way better. lol
Old 03-30-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

AV getting quieter......
Don't believe the lies!!!
Old 03-30-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Today was a brutal day for me. I got to work at 4:45am and I am just leaving now. I am tired and cranky and I want a drink. Work is a trigger for me (but how do you avoid it) - it feels like everyone comes to me with their problems and issues and it's exhausting. Every day I have at least one person in my office crying. Today it was two.

Also as a side note - my boss sent out an "end of first quarter" party invite for tomorrow afternoon - drinks (of course) and appetizers. Whenever anyone declines you can just tell she disapproves.

Feels like a tough and stressful day all around.

I will catch up on all I missed later