Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 03-29-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Hi all, some great posts since I last checked in, went to an AA meeting tonight and it was really good, only a few of us there so got to share and read out of big book- which is good practice for me as I get extreme nerves reading out aloud to large numbers.

Thoughts and prayers are with Keets tonight- hope all has gone well friend.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I’m home alone with the dogs, the girls went to dinner at my mother’s house. A night alone is an invitation to drink for me. BUT, I’m smart in that I planned for them to go tonight while my car is getting fixed, so I have no choice. So I’m sitting here trying to do “me” stuff: my kind of dinner, SR, and reading/watching other recovery things. I know this is the path for me, despite my constant veering off.

Casey, you are so right the cycle of recovery and addiction is vicious and painful in a way I didn’t expect. The highs and lows are brutal. And it’s all my own doing. I do want to be sober, more than I want to drink, 95% of the time. It’s that 5% that I need to either get rid of or just ignore. I don’t know the answer. I feel like I say all the right things and I MEAN them, I really do, but when that 5% hits, I feel like I’m all talk and I tell myself I don’t really need to be sober ALL the time.

As for my username, it’s pretty obvious, I made it years ago because I knew my life would be better without alcohol. The picture is the sun shining through the trees, which in the months after my father’s death last January, I have come to feel that that is my sign from him when he is with me. It would seemingly appear, just at right moments, just when I needed it most. It still happens and I hope it continues for the rest of my life. I know my dad is watching over me, he drank his whole life, but it really wasn’t a major problem until his last few years. I know he doesn’t want that for me.

Good to see so many of you racking up days, keep it going, believe me you don’t want to be starting over again, it’s so defeating. And for those (like me), that slipped, let’s end March sober, we can all stick together, this is really such FANTASTIC group. 
Old 03-29-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

I'm doing great Casey. Thanks for asking!
Old 03-29-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Checking in day 4! Not feeling so well today. I think I may be coming down with something. Things feel weird for me right now. Work is taking over my life. I feel so conflicted. I'm having to travel a lot and am feeling the effects. Traveling is hard on me..its demanding I get tired. I am traveling nearly every week through March. My husband's reaction doesn't help. I'm feeling like my kid is lacking. Basically my life is focused on work and catching up on my rest. Add in a few drinking episodes and working through hangovers. Seems like there should be more to life.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Short night at work. We were slow and over-staffed so I was glad to get out of there. Off until Friday now! Woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Jemma44 View Post
Hi everyone, checking in. I have around a month of sobriety and have been getting headaches pretty much daily, every afternoon/evening. Is this common in early sobriety? How long does it last? I don't remember this happening during my other attempts of sobriety. Maybe I forgot though.

Thanks and have a happy sober day!
Everyone's recovery/withdrawal symptoms are different but headaches are not one that I've personally suffered from this time or previously. Maybe it's withdrawals, maybe it's simply your body reacting to stress, maybe you're missing something nutritionally, heck, if I know. I'm certainly not a doctor--probably wouldn't hurt to get it checked out if it's bothering you.

Congrats on your month-ish of sobriety! That's awesome.

I always liked smaller AA meetings more than the huge ones, 1stepup. Glad you found a good one for you today.

Love the story of your avatar, forabetterlife. You can get through those 5% times that you talk about one minute at a time if necessary. It really is as simple (and as extremely hard) as not taking that first drink sometimes. Ask for help, post in here once a minute for hours on end if that's what it takes. Find other things to do--exercise, shower, sleep, watch lots of bad television, go people watch in the middle of the mall, play fetch with your dogs. Whatever it takes to get through those moments. It's not inevitable that you and me or anyone else here ever take a drink again. Dee and the hundreds/thousands of others active here with lasting sobriety are proof of that. I'm glad you're here with us. You can do this! This really can be your last day one.

Sorry you're feeling under the weather, rah555. You've got a lot on your plate right now with work and travel and your husband. Get some good, quality sobriety time and maybe a solution to those other issues will be more apparent. I know for sure that not drinking sure won't hurt those situations any.

How's everyone else doing out there tonight? Would still love to hear from anyone who hasn't answered my question about usernames and avatars. Been some great responses so far.

Wishing you all a happy and sober Tuesday night/Wednesday morning for our upside down Australians. Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Thanks, Casey. Yes, the key is to do something other than drink and then it will pass. It always does. Do it again and again and again, until the cravings are less frequent. I love your perspective on how it's not inevitable that it continues, that it's a choice, and that there are so many people that are living proof that it can be done.

Hope you feel better soon rah. I know what you mean about having tough things going on and then adding to that the misery of drinking and hangovers. Even the tough stuff is better without alcohol.

Heading to bed soon. This weekend's drinking has left me exhausted, taking longer for my body to heal. I think my body is sick of the back and forth as much as the rest of me.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Hi class! Welcome to everyone new, it does get better, each day has for me anyway. There are rough times in the day but if I don't dwell on it and refocus myself onto something else, just briefly, the cravings have passed.

I've passed my one week mark and looking forward to what each day brings, even if it's totally material.

Hope everyone is having a good and sober day, or night, wherever you live!
Old 03-29-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on starting week two, GoingNowhere!
Old 03-29-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Applekat and Missy and anyone else hitting a milestone today
welcome back to mall those recommitting to recovery

Instead of posting the recovery plan link again, I thought this one might be useful for anyone struggling:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 03-29-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Such good stuff.
I'm going to print it and hang it up.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
Struggling to keep my eyes open... Good night, friends!
Sweet Dreams.

Originally Posted by Jemma44 View Post
Hi everyone, checking in. I have around a month of sobriety and have been getting headaches pretty much daily, every afternoon/evening. Is this common in early sobriety? How long does it last? I don't remember this happening during my other attempts of sobriety. Maybe I forgot though.

Thanks and have a happy sober day!
I'm not as far along as you, but I'm still getting occasional headaches. It takes time for our brains~bodies to heal. I know if I sit in front of the PC too long it aggravates my eyes & then headache. It's spring here & pollen doesn't help. Tho, I do love all the blossoms appearing. I hope you feel better soon!.. If your not,
perhaps a trip to your Dr will help. Congrats on your sobriety.

Congratulations Missy on your 30 days..
Old 03-29-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
Hi class! Welcome to everyone new, it does get better, each day has for me anyway. There are rough times in the day but if I don't dwell on it and refocus myself onto something else, just briefly, the cravings have passed.

I've passed my one week mark and looking forward to what each day brings, even if it's totally material.

Hope everyone is having a good and sober day, or night, wherever you live!

Congratulations on your one week sobriety. My second wk has been better than my first.

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Hi all, some great posts since I last checked in, went to an AA meeting tonight and it was really good, only a few of us there so got to share and read out of big book- which is good practice for me as I get extreme nerves reading out aloud to large numbers.

Thoughts and prayers are with Keets tonight- hope all has gone well friend.

I too found smaller meetings more comfy in the past. Glad its helping you.

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Hello everyone. I’m home alone with the dogs, the girls went to dinner at my mother’s house. A night alone is an invitation to drink for me. BUT, I’m smart in that I planned for them to go tonight while my car is getting fixed, so I have no choice. So I’m sitting here trying to do “me” stuff: my kind of dinner, SR, and reading/watching other recovery things. I know this is the path for me, despite my constant veering off.

Casey, you are so right the cycle of recovery and addiction is vicious and painful in a way I didn’t expect. The highs and lows are brutal. And it’s all my own doing. I do want to be sober, more than I want to drink, 95% of the time. It’s that 5% that I need to either get rid of or just ignore. I don’t know the answer. I feel like I say all the right things and I MEAN them, I really do, but when that 5% hits, I feel like I’m all talk and I tell myself I don’t really need to be sober ALL the time.

As for my username, it’s pretty obvious, I made it years ago because I knew my life would be better without alcohol. The picture is the sun shining through the trees, which in the months after my father’s death last January, I have come to feel that that is my sign from him when he is with me. It would seemingly appear, just at right moments, just when I needed it most. It still happens and I hope it continues for the rest of my life. I know my dad is watching over me, he drank his whole life, but it really wasn’t a major problem until his last few years. I know he doesn’t want that for me.

Good to see so many of you racking up days, keep it going, believe me you don’t want to be starting over again, it’s so defeating. And for those (like me), that slipped, let’s end March sober, we can all stick together, this is really such FANTASTIC group. 
Good planning on having family take your car. I'm sorry you lost your Dad! It's hard! Mines been gone for many years. It was a year this month I lost my Mama. My present to her, myself & family was to join SR on her one year passing. In early days, I found shiny pennies & I believe it's her way of letting me know she's okay. I too believe she's watching over me. I know she's proud of me..It broke her heart when I relapsed after having almost 1.5 yrs. Had been drinking a bit longer then my last recovery.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

I did make it for my walk earlier. You peeps & SR has motivated me. Going to turn on the oven & cook pre-pared stir fry.

I hope after watching DVR "Better Call Saul", I get back here. I need to post on gratitude thread & maybe help someone out side of our class.

Peace to everyone.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
I'm doing great Casey. Thanks for asking!
Good to hear!...

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
Checking in day 4! Not feeling so well today. I think I may be coming down with something. Things feel weird for me right now. Work is taking over my life. I feel so conflicted. I'm having to travel a lot and am feeling the effects. Traveling is hard on me..its demanding I get tired. I am traveling nearly every week through March. My husband's reaction doesn't help. I'm feeling like my kid is lacking. Basically my life is focused on work and catching up on my rest. Add in a few drinking episodes and working through hangovers. Seems like there should be more to life.
I'm sorry your over worked!... Sounds like you may feel not appreciated at home. Can you schedule yourself a massage after work, pedicure (while travelling out of town), a bath with tea or mocktail, watch mindless TV, soothing music, meditate, healthy meals, or indulge in a dessert, a walk in nature (if you enjoy).

Can you possibly take an extra day after landing in your city, book a hotel & sleep. Do something fun if you like. Maybe spend part of a day with your child. Can you come up with some ideas to rejuvenate. A day spent with a GF. Have you tried writing to your hubs, family about how you feel? Explaining your sobriety is priority & that your exhausted. Write a short gratitude list.

I hope you can find something else besides running constantly. That you'll find time to fill up with something that will bring you peace.!.. March is almost over. Maybe request a less hectic work schedule in the near future. Please make a little time for you. Squeeze it in. It's understandable that you feel run down.

Big congratulations on day four. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Immri- I am sorry but let's try again tomorrow?

Hello - I had a really bad day and took a few Percocet. Please don't be upset with me. I just couldn't take it and I gave in to ebverything. I don't want to start over with the withdraws. I was doing so well and I just feel terrible.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Ahhhhhhhh I'm laying in bed and it feels like I'm laying on a cloud. My legs and back are killing me. The only time I sat down all day was when I quickly shoved down dinner. I got all the birthday decorations done FINALLY. I'm surprised my die cutting machine didn't catch on fire, that sucker was worked hard today. Now I just need to assemble a bunch of stuff. I hope he likes it!

Casey my screen name is because I absolutely love and find rain soooo peaceful. I am a much calmer person in the rain but unfortunately we don't get much of it.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kwhite View Post
Immri- I am sorry but let's try again tomorrow?

Hello - I had a really bad day and took a few Percocet. Please don't be upset with me. I just couldn't take it and I gave in to ebverything. I don't want to start over with the withdraws. I was doing so well and I just feel terrible.
Im sorry Kwhite. No body is going to be upset with you. We all understand how difficult addiction is! I'm sorry you had a bad day. Remember how well you were doing & focus on that. Hope you can come up with a new plan. Hope you feel better soon. Tom is a new day. You can start over then if you choose to.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:26 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Thanks Renew - I don't have a plan yet and I don't want to feel like crap again so I am going to try very hard to think of what to do next.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Kwhite, sorry you took those pills, but glad you were honest with us and are still here. No one here is going to be upset with you. We all understand addiction firsthand. I have suggested this before but will do so again--if your husband is going to keep pills around the house, they should be locked up in a box that only he has a key to. No reason to have to live with that temptation right there in the open. Go get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow is a new day. We're here for you.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noones going to be upset kwhite - we understand
We all want the best for you tho - I'm glad you're trying again

D