Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 22

Old 04-20-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

A quick check-in as I am on my way out the door to go to the Y.

London, my friend, where are you?

I agree with Determined - time for a check-in from all!
Old 04-20-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Checking in xx
Old 04-21-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Good morning gang, happy Thursday!

Presentation was awesome! Felt great to be on my game. I don't miss the anxiety and drama of two years ago, that's for sure.

Hope everyone is doing ok, do check in and give a howdy if you can.

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval." Mark twain

Smile!
Old 04-21-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Relentless Forward Progress!
Old 04-22-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Happy Friday team!

Long week, happy to reach the end. Had a business trip scheduled for next week postponed! Yay! Little things...

I hope everyone is doing well and you have a wonderful day. Make it so.

Off to the gym and then to work, much love to all.

"Life is the sum of what you focus on." Winfred Gallagher
Old 04-22-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Just a quick Hello as I am off to the Y, then to Boston to meet old friends.

London, Choobie, Grateful, Dry and others,.....I would love to hear how you are all doing.

Let's keep on keeping on!
Old 04-23-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hey guys!!

Just checking in and all is well. I have been super busy at work again - many many hours being put in.

I have given myself a little talking to. I haven't been near a drink at all but the thought has crossed my mind - pure and simple due to not putting recovery work in and keeping my mind focussed. I have been here before and been a little cocky about things and it has not ended well. The worst is over at work so I will be checking in again. I need to get back to AA as I haven't been for a couple of weeks. I am keeping my counselling going though.

Not going to beat myself up for the above - just want to get some recovery balance back

How are you all doing? Good I hope. Definitely keeping on keeping on
Old 04-23-2016, 02:18 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you're getting things in hand London

D
Old 04-23-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday!

Great to hear from you London, glad that you were able to hold your ground. I think it's normal for those thoughts to come, I too have wobbled a bit, getting stuck in romanticizing about the party days. You are doing the right thing though man, getting back into your recovery work. We have so much time being sober now, it is way too easy to forget why we are here. Sending a big virtual hug your way man. Glad you are safe and strong.

Let's all take a minute to reflect on how far we have come and appreciate the health and peace of mind we now have. Attitude of gratitude.

"Change your thoughts and you change your world." Norman Vincent Peale
Old 04-23-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Greetings!

So good to hear from you London. I agree with Determined, that is something we will all go through.

I am continuing to read the April, 2016 thread. I don't know what made me start reading it, I have never read any thread from a class that started after ours. I find that reading their struggles really helps me remember why it is necessary to stay on track. I still pm a few of the members for encouragement. Our old friend Maximus is part of the class. I am happy that she is still trying, and I hope all the other members we started with have somehow found sobriety.

As my mother said, "Your health is your wealth."

Let's keep on keeping on!
Old 04-24-2016, 12:23 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hey guys

Happy Sunday

Thanks so much for the mentions. I'm feeling much better already. Yesterday I got to an AA meeting and talked about it and I have been reading on here too, the April 16 thread especially has reminded me of the really tough early days.

I think you are both absolutely right Scooter and Determined that some thinking that everything is fine and romanticising the old days etc is part of this recovery. Glad I am not alone and you helped me smash those thoughts

Cold day in the UK today but I am heading out to spectate at the London Marathon 😀

Have a lovely day all
Old 04-24-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Greetings,

I agree that the April 16 thread is an eye-opener - We do not want to be back at the beginning.

I am going to meet neighbors to walk the beach, then going to Newport, RI.

Let's keep on keeping on.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Happy sober Sunday!

Great work London, really happy you are feeling better and that you shared. What did your aa friends have to say about it? I am curious as I get these thoughts, a lot recently, and I spend too much time in battle with it. It can sometimes change an otherwise great mood for a little bit.

I think we are far enough away from the memories, but still facing that forever word. Someone said, can't remember who, that we need to stay focused on our new life and don't just try and make the old life work without alcohol. I find that I sometimes miss places and people and imagine trying to go there sober. It doesn't work in the mind, and causes frustration and sometimes longing.

I do notice what the drinking crowd does a lot more now. Objectively, it is a lot of sitting around. But alcohol gives them the illusion that they are being festive or a sport fan. But they are sitting on their ass drinking a carcinogen. When not buzzed, their mood is tired and a bit boorish. They are the ones not exercising, not laughing and, if they have kids, they are the sideline sitters and phone readers.

We don't want to be like that, that's why we are here. Yet, we still find it quite surprising that alcohol temptation still happens, I know I hoped it would go away by this point. I am trying to be aware of my thinking when those moments arrive. Often I can trace the responsible thoughts, boredom, nostalgia, missing the chaos. Then I try with all my might to summon the attitude of gratitude and realize that these little moments of self reflection followed by an action of change on my part make me stronger. I am happy about it the next morning every time, and I know you all share this sentiment too.

I guess we thought the temptation would go away, but now that we know it won't, we have to be loaded and ready to shoot it down when we see it flying overhead.

It takes enormous strength to take this thing all the way guys. We need to all give ourselves more credit and crane that neck really high and proud. We are not spectators in life, we are fully aware and responsible for all of our happiness. We are the doers, the runners, the parents, the workers, the friends, the scholars, the achievers, the smilers and the winners. The lines on our faces are from laughing and not from the last call for drinks the night before.

Have a freakin wonderful day - fully present and eagerly alive.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi all.
Determined great post, you said what I feel mouth of the time.
London glad you are well and looking after yourself, well done on sharing. Did you manage to get a glimpse of the marathon? Last year you caught it at canary wharf if I remember?

I will apologise for my lack of posting, I do care and I do read. I am not in a good place mentally and am quite isolatory at the moment, so please excuse my brief posts but I have nothing else inside to give right now. I am at my lowest ebb for a few reasons I will not burden you with. Life is hard and bleak.

Please know that you are keeping me strong, each day is a ghost save. xxx

Love xxx
Old 04-24-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

((pink)) if you need a place to vent, and to find support I can't think of a better place than here?

D
Old 04-24-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Pink so great to hear from you, I am truly saddened to see that you are in a low spot. I don't know why you are down, but I am certain that you will rise above my friend. Please reach out, we can help, even if you just need to vent ok? Much love your way and a big hug!
Old 04-24-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi guys, just checking in. Had a weird day, I am building a giant BBQ, so I needed a welding guy, and he wanted beer in return, well, first time inside a liquor store in nearly 2 yrs. It was nostalgic, and I felt odd, like when I fly back home every couple yrs, a place oh too familiar, yet kind of getting further into memory. As I approached the front door I started thinking about how I would feel going in, curious more than worried, and then I started thinking about how much BS walking into these places has caused me over the yrs, I smiled knowing I am better off now, and walked thru the doors. I then was immediately hit with "holy ****" I am not sure if I could afford to drink anymore even if I wanted to. I told the owner that I remember from before that I had stopped drinking, and this was for a friend, and she smiled, probably knowing she hadn't seen this regular in quite sometime. It was an interesting experience, and I was glad to get one of the last firsts out of the way. all the best guys! dry
Old 04-25-2016, 12:00 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hey guys

Happy Monday! I hope everyone is good

Pink, I had a great day thank you. I was at Canary Wharf again and had a huge breakfast and then 4 hours watching. I am sorry you are feeling low. It is a safe place to vent and get it off your chest here. Sending you love and best wishes

Determined - thanks for that amazing post. AA was interesting and the guys said up and downs are natural and just keep working on recovery stuff. It's easy to drop things one by one and lose your defences I guess. I feel much much better after a fun and alcohol free weekend too.

Wishing all of you a lovely Monday
Old 04-25-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Happy Monday!

Great post dry! I bet you felt remarkable going back in that place as a completely different guy. Well done man.

Glad you had a good weekend London, back on track baby!

Well rested, guilt free and ready for the week. Have a wonderful day gang!

"Mans main task in life is to give birth to himself." Erich Fromm
Old 04-25-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hey Team! Strong, introspective messages.

With the ups and downs of this journey, and life's journey- let's keep in mind that we are all in a better place than 2014.

Let's stay strong.