$&(;, junk iphone
Old 03-02-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Don't go feeling hungover OT.
Go to win !
! Take us with you. Post up how it is. Good th
Old 03-02-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

I'm so mad at this g---d--- phone, I'm about to crap my pants !!!
Old 03-02-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. My AV's telling me that I can have one last night of drinking and then go in for a detox. I know it wouldn't be that straightforward, it would find a way to trip me up again further down the line. I'm going to phone them up tomorrow morning and tell them I'm two weeks sober. I'd rather they give my place to someone who needs it more, but I'll go if they say there is support they can give me after physical withdrawal. I need to remember how awful I felt while I was drinking, and that getting drunk is never as enjoyable as I think it's going to be.

knb - No, I was on a drinking limit at the end of January and the beginning of February. The doctor put me on it while I waited for my detox, I wasn't allowed to quit on my own as I was at risk of having DTs (seizures, etc). It was impossible for me to stick with this limit as it was making me even more ill, and after 3 weeks of being on the detox waiting list I just risked quitting on my own.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

OT, this is total AV logic you're using. You're looking for an excuse to drink, and looking for an excuse to not go in for detox. Quit f*cking making excuses. DON'T DRINK and go into detox tomorrow. It's not rocket science.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360startstoday View Post
Good morning everyone! Day 24 and I have a question. I think too much, always have, a big reason I drank. Over the last few days, but really showed its head last night... EVERYTHING I have done drunk, I'm talking 10-15 years ago even, is coming to my mind. Things I haven't thought about in years. Have any of you done this? The guilty, embarrassed feeling is even there and I don't talk to or see the people I used to hang out with. It's so weird!
I get this too 360. I can get weird flashes of memories that make my face turn red and my body start to feel warm. Good thing is that over time, especially with sober time, they happen less often and I am more forgiving to myself.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

And I agree with whoever said we are the only ones our memories are so bad for.....when I think of stupid stuff my drunk friends have done (most of us have friends that abuse alcohol, don't we? Birds of a feather....) I don't dwell on it whatsoever....I move on. Don't dwell on what you can't change. We have all done the same or similar embarrassing things......
Old 03-02-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

OOTT - You're right, I know you're right. It's glaringly obvious what my AV's up to when I see it written down.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

JL2014 - I feel your frustration! No matter how tempting, don't throw the phone!!! Deep breath in....deep breath out.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
Thanks guys. My AV's telling me that I can have one last night of drinking and then go in for a detox. I know it wouldn't be that straightforward, it would find a way to trip me up again further down the line. I'm going to phone them up tomorrow morning and tell them I'm two weeks sober. I'd rather they give my place to someone who needs it more, but I'll go if they say there is support they can give me after physical withdrawal. I need to remember how awful I felt while I was drinking, and that getting drunk is never as enjoyable as I think it's going to be.

knb - No, I was on a drinking limit at the end of January and the beginning of February. The doctor put me on it while I waited for my detox, I wasn't allowed to quit on my own as I was at risk of having DTs (seizures, etc). It was impossible for me to stick with this limit as it was making me even more ill, and after 3 weeks of being on the detox waiting list I just risked quitting on my own.
Good for you OT.
The more we overcome our AV the stronger we get. So do you suffer from physical withdrawals when you quit?
Old 03-02-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
OT, this is total AV logic you're using. You're looking for an excuse to drink, and looking for an excuse to not go in for detox. Quit f*cking making excuses. DON'T DRINK and go into detox tomorrow. It's not rocket science.
ONTT you are right. It's not rocket science but when that AV calls on you all sense goes out the window. Can only hope you pull through it. I have drunk from the most stupid triggers.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
And I agree with whoever said we are the only ones our memories are so bad for.....when I think of stupid stuff my drunk friends have done (most of us have friends that abuse alcohol, don't we? Birds of a feather....) I don't dwell on it whatsoever....I move on. Don't dwell on what you can't change. We have all done the same or similar embarrassing things......
Absolutely have. Learn , move on and change
Old 03-02-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
JL2014 - I feel your frustration! No matter how tempting, don't throw the phone!!! Deep breath in....deep breath out.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

OOTT - You're right, I know you're right. It's glaringly obvious what my AV's up to when I see it written down.
Just call me Mr. Tough Love!
I know it sounded harsh, but my message was sent with love and respect. BTW, everyone will get their chance to pick on me, I'm sure. I came close to drinking on Friday, and it'll happen again (temptation, I mean.). I'm going to Mexico in August and I don't see how I'll be able to not drink when I'm there.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Today I had a public success that would have been impossible with an alcohol habit. I still cannot believe that "me" and "success" can be in the same sentence. I am trying to process this impossible thing in my mind now. New forces have entered my life that are pulling me further away from drinking. My social-life problem--of having friends that have to be avoided--is starting to solve itself. My new friends are going to be a good influence. Thanks for listening! SR is the best.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
Today I had a public success that would have been impossible with an alcohol habit. I still cannot believe that "me" and "success" can be in the same sentence. I am trying to process this impossible thing in my mind now. New forces have entered my life that are pulling me further away from drinking. My social-life problem--of having friends that have to be avoided--is starting to solve itself. My new friends are going to be a good influence. Thanks for listening! SR is the best.
I get you. Every sober day is a spiritual awakening for me. I feel reborn again. Things are slowly clicking into place.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Good for you OT.
The more we overcome our AV the stronger we get. So do you suffer from physical withdrawals when you quit?
Yes, I was a daily drinker so I'd get physical withdrawal just by going to sleep at night and not drinking for a few hours. I threw up every day and my hands would shake until I'd drank enough, made my job really difficult. When I quit I get tremors, fevers and heart palpitations. Not fun. I'm past the most dangerous stage now luckily, best not return to it.

OOTT - Ha! It's fine, tough love works with me. I chose my sponsor because I told her that I was drinking alone and she replied "that's really sad" (as in pathetic), and I respected her for it.
August is a couple of months away yet, you have plenty of time to figure out a sobriety plan for when you go away.

Mel - I'm so happy for you! Life is so much better without alcohol.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

I got a letter through saying that my assisted detox can start tomorrow if I still want it. I was supposed to wait for that before I quit as it was risky for me to do it alone.
Hi OT - Good to hear your detox came through. That's one train I would jump on as soon as possible! It's a train with a good destination.

I heard alcohol withdrawal can be more dangerous than withdrawal from heroin, and so forth. Yet wherever one turns, someone is holding a drink. That someone used to be me--but not anymore!
Old 03-02-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
I get you. Every sober day is a spiritual awakening for me. I feel reborn again. Things are slowly clicking into place.
Hi KNB - That is a great way to think of it. Each day without drinking really is a success! Each time we say "thanks but no thanks" to someone offering a drink we are a success. Each time we ignore the AV by turning to an activity other than drinking we are a success. You are so right. Thank you for the insight.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Hey guys, having a bit of a struggle tonight. I got a letter through saying that my assisted detox can start tomorrow if I still want it. I was supposed to wait for that before I quit as it was risky for me to do it alone. I was added to the list over a month ago and put on a drinking limit - I tried to stick to the limit for a while but kept overdrinking and underdrinking which caused my withdrawal symptoms to get even worse. It felt like I was dying! I knew I couldn't stick with a limit, with me and alcohol it's either all or nothing. I chose nothing and sat through the withdrawal myself.

The problem is, my AV is telling me that I should get completely blackout drunk tonight seeing as I'll be getting treatment tomorrow. It's an awful thing to think but I am really finding it difficult not to!
Take a deep breath and urge surf. Don't fight the craving, but don't let it get the best of you, it will subside. Remember, a craving won't hurt you.

At his point in your sober journey, this is something you can deal with successfully. I firmly believe that, and you also know it's true.

Urge Surfing: How to Beat Cravings and Relapse with Mindfulness