Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Old 03-02-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

I'm getting an early night guys, cravings really tire me out. I'll catch you all in the morning. Goodnight!
Old 03-02-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
Yes, I was a daily drinker so I'd get physical withdrawal just by going to sleep at night and not drinking for a few hours. I threw up every day and my hands would shake until I'd drank enough, made my job really difficult. When I quit I get tremors, fevers and heart palpitations. Not fun. I'm past the most dangerous stage now luckily, best not return to it.

OOTT - Ha! It's fine, tough love works with me. I chose my sponsor because I told her that I was drinking alone and she replied "that's really sad" (as in pathetic), and I respected her for it.
August is a couple of months away yet, you have plenty of time to figure out a sobriety plan for when you go away.

Mel - I'm so happy for you! Life is so much better without alcohol.
I am very lucky when it comes to withdrawals. I don't suffer from anything physical besides not sleeping well. Night OT. Well done for not drinking
Old 03-02-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
Hi KNB - That is a great way to think of it. Each day without drinking really is a success! Each time we say "thanks but no thanks" to someone offering a drink we are a success. Each time we ignore the AV by turning to an activity other than drinking we are a success. You are so right. Thank you for the insight.
Mel don't you just love waking up sober the next day? When you have forgotten for a split second that you didn't drink last night...HUGE success. It feels like new years day every morning :-))
Old 03-02-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Hey class,

Well, Ive survived that bout with pharyngitis. It was really rough going for many days. Starting to turn the page, I hope. Wanted to check in, and let u all know I havent deserted class, or given up on my recovery at all. Still working for total sobriety here.

See a few have moved over into March, but still posting in our class. Thats awesome. You can never have too much support, or friends in recovery.

Knb, you are absolutely stunning! I will never share my photo, cause my hot days are way over. Thanks for sharing your pic. So proud of you for getting thru tht rough patch the other day. Go girl. .

Cute, well, you are cute as always. What else can I say?

During my sickness, I have been reading now and again, but still not up to par on everyone. Besides the sickness, my home front has been very stressful, as usual.

Im also experiencing some other health issues. For one,I do believe I may have cell phone elbow, maybe. I do all my online stuff off my phone, and I spend way too much time doing so. Need to try a handsfree device, maybe.

So just wanted to let you all know Im still around. Still not 100 percent yet, but feeling better with each passing day. And very proud of my class.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
OT, this is total AV logic you're using. You're looking for an excuse to drink, and looking for an excuse to not go in for detox. Quit f*cking making excuses. DON'T DRINK and go into detox tomorrow. It's not rocket science.
I support this post. OT, you've done so well, stick to it!! Why not stay sober, yet still go for detox? Worst they can do is send you home with a chuckle, and you might actually make their day [and you're own!] as the best patient ever.

Appt with my doc was way, WAY better than expected. She is SO awesome [young-ish mom of multiple young kids, so she's always on maternity leave! LOL]. She wants to see me again next week. I cried a bit with her nurse when I started to admit, then I balled when I fully admitted all to the doc. I got hugs all around, and told that they are SUPER proud of me. I promptly got an EKG, and all sorts of other tests and appts are set up. They were quite surprised, as I expected. Being secretive is the cornerstone to alcoholism, right?

Then I went to my 3rd AA meeting, which was about step 5. I swore I wouldn't talk there for a long while, but I spilled the beans about my doc appt, saying I've just admitted to another human being, and now it's even on my official medical record. HEAVY SIGH.

It's a funny group. Someone was talking about a guy in AA admitting he'd 'done' a sheep while drunk, and the priest in AA replied that he'd done the whole flock. I was warmly welcomed by many at the end.

Laughter IS perhaps the best medicine.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
I got hugs all around, and told they are SUPER proud of me. I promptly got an EKG, and all sorts of other tests and appts are set up.
That is such good news and a relief to hear of your wonderful doctor and staff. Everything is working out!
Old 03-02-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Mel don't you just love waking up sober the next day? When you have forgotten for a split second that you didn't drink last night...HUGE success. It feels like new years day every morning :-))
Yes, I love waking up sober the next day. I love not having to exert supreme willpower to fake it through another day.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Bad news of the day: my pharmacy can't get the Campral, and it could be days. WHAT?! I told them *tons* of people in our [hillbilly] town are probably on it -- how hard can it be? [grrr] I'm going to call other pharmacies.

I know it's probably a crutch, but mentally I feel like I really need to start on it, today!
Old 03-02-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
Besides the sickness, my home front has been very stressful, as usual.
Glad to hear your check-in, Maximus. Sounds like a break in the clouds is due. Looking forward to your next update.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Max glad to hear from you !
I don't know if it's cause I'm outdoors all day or what. I can't shake this sore throat/cough/drainage thing. Keeps coming back.
Going home to gargle the applecider vinegar. Actually still haven't done that yet. Drama and foggy DTs kept me forgetting things last week.
I'd like to think my mental faculties will return one day.
My old dream of getting a college degree feels moot at age 44, but it's there still lurking beneath the kids, jobs, wife's emotional health worries.
I used to get online, start to sign up, even for a diploma mill, and start drinking again and forget about it. Wow. That's sad to admit that !! There it is though. Now it really is more plausible to invest in my children I think. I don't know. So much has changed with the drinking damage I think I've done.
Ok enough depressing stuff
Old 03-02-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Thanks so much JL, and many congrats to you on your days!

Yeah, this stuff is going around. And with kids, its much worse. As much as I love my gkids, well, they have been known to be hot beds of germs and such. Plus the weather changes here, havent helped at all . I made it thru by braggs acv, raw garlic, otc meds, and alot of rest. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
No such thing as over-posting.
Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
That would be wonderful, but addiction is a VERY strong force, one that can't easily be rationed with or talked out of, unfortunately.
Which is why its best not to engage it at all. Let it throw a tantrum and tire itself out )

I'm glad you're thinking clearly OT. You've come a long way from a few weeks ago when you were really ill. Don't listen to that AV

good to see you Max

congrats mel - and congrats to everyone who's celebrating a milestone today
D
Old 03-02-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by 360startstoday View Post
Good morning everyone! Day 24 and I have a question.

I think too much, always have, a big reason I drank. Over the last few days, but really showed its head last night... EVERYTHING I have done drunk, I'm talking 10-15 years ago even, is coming to my mind. Things I haven't thought about in years. Have any of you done this? The guilty, embarrassed feeling is even there and I don't talk to or see the people I used to hang out with. It's so weird!
I had to be pretty brutal about that.

I had to accept the past was gone, done and dusted and there was nothing I could do about that, not matter how much I wanted to change things.

There's an enormous amount we can do with a new day tho. I tried to focus on that. I tried to make my actions serve as a kind of living amends for what had gone before.

Focusing on each new day helped me to move on from where I used to be to where I wanted to be

I'm sorry for whatever happened Sadie.
Hope you can sort out your your sleeping issues too OOTT and knb.
Glad you're feeling a little better PHRD.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter tho,and sorry to hear of other parent's problems with kids too....

D
Old 03-02-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Thanks Mel, and all of my class.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Woo hoo! A sober success!!! I was invited to a HH after work and I almost just passed because I didn't want to cave. But I decided I could handle going and ordering a Coke...and I did! I had a good time too. I definitely envied the beers the others were drinking, and I don't plan to do this very often. But it was nice to feel able to socialize without the alcohol - and that I had fun without it!!!! I said a little something about plans I had later (not necessary, I know...) but not one person said a thing about or questioned me on why I wasn't drinking booze. Not one thing!!

Tonight I am going to see a band, I don't expect to get any comments tonight either. I am confident after the HH success that tonight will be easy. It feels SO good to stick to the commitment I've made to sobriety. Good for me to remember next time I'm feeling weak....
Old 03-02-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

I want a drink so bad. I tried doing some step work today, pulled out my gratitude list, exercised, went and bought a few groceries. I seem to just be wasting every day. I miss my kids so terribly. I want to be back at my farm. I feel like I'm drowning in sadness. I'm broke with no job. I just feel like giving up. Blaaaah.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Oh dear God, there's something wrong with the Campral supply in the USA. I now have to call all around to see if any pharmacy has some on the shelves, but in the worst case, I'd have to switch to Naltrexone?? Which from what I've read, I don't want to do [seems you have to actually drink to have an effect?]. If any of you know of some good threads about this, please post while I spend the rest of the day on the phone [?].

Clearly alcoholism is a HUGE problem in this country, if the supply doesn't meet the demand. Oy.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
I want a drink so bad. I tried doing some step work today, pulled out my gratitude list, exercised, went and bought a few groceries. I seem to just be wasting every day. I miss my kids so terribly. I want to be back at my farm. I feel like I'm drowning in sadness. I'm broke with no job. I just feel like giving up. Blaaaah.
Will alcohol help you get back to the farm? Or get a job? It will just hurt you unfortunately
Old 03-02-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Good news!! It's a cyst and nothing worse. Thank the maker!! I appreciate all your support... I was really scared. I must admit as soon as I found out I thought about a drink to celebrate, partially because I got such an adrenaline rush I was way up. I thought about what that drink would do to me and also about you guys... no thanks, not today. I'm going to be sober for me. For that scared person inside of me, I'm not going to hurt him anymore. Thank you for all your kind words they mean so much to me. I hope everyone is hanging tough today, 8 days for me and I don't think I could have done it without you guys...