Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Old 03-02-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by PHRD View Post
And an iron deficiency, and rare platelet disorder and my platelets keep depleting below even normal for my always lot platelets.
Hi PHRD - is the blood condition caused or exacerbated by alcohol? I hope your 2016 quitting effort succeeds! Wish me luck too . . .
Old 03-02-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360startstoday View Post
Good morning everyone! Day 24 and I have a question.

I think too much, always have, a big reason I drank. Over the last few days, but really showed its head last night... EVERYTHING I have done drunk, I'm talking 10-15 years ago even, is coming to my mind. Things I haven't thought about in years. Have any of you done this? The guilty, embarrassed feeling is even there and I don't talk to or see the people I used to hang out with. It's so weird!
I have 360. But I have 25 years of cringe worthy really? moments. I take a lot of deep breaths, remind myself that the past is the past and this is a new chapter of my life. One that I plan on completing sober. I use a few of them as reminders of why I want to live my life sober now. I also think we make things bigger in our heads, at least I think I do. If I take some of these moments apart I remember that the people I was with were stupid drunk too.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
Hi PHRD - is the blood condition caused or exacerbated by alcohol? I hope your 2016 quitting effort succeeds! Wish me luck too . . .
Geeze now I get a call from the school that my 12 year old daughter tried alcohol the other day and told a friend. That's fine - great excuse for me to dump all the alcohol in the house! Well I put my husband's wine and two beers in his garage. There done! I had a huge panic attach because I couldn't post and thought I got kicked out. It was because I changed my email and hadn't verified it. Phew! Breathing, breathing, no stress... Yeah well when I went to my new blood doctor a few months ago I had quit at that time for several weeks. I said no I don't drink. She said "Good because I've seen some really bad cases where alcohol reaks (spk?) havoc on platelets" Alcohol kills platelets and new ones need to be made.... I have less to start with. B12 and two irons a pill now though and I have more energy than I've had in years. Sorry to overpost. Okay I'm back to work.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Add good luck Mel12! I'll be a quiting partner!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

No such thing as over-posting.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Tell your head to be quiet! No need to look backwards with regret. You are strong enough to be making changes in your life - many people never try once - so be proud and start dreaming about what you really want to do in the future. I'm starting to try to to come up with mantras to be ready for AV. One already involves foul language but I'm ready. Bring it on AV. No, no I'm not interested in wasting time in my life on a discussion about this topic brain. Quit it.
I keep telling myself that and think of Good things. I'm not sure if it's an AV thing telling me this is why I drank or if it's my mind saying this is why you stopped. I'm sticking with the latter. This is why I stopped, none of those things will ever happen again!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Hi 360 - on the bright side, brain damage from alcohol may not have progressed very far since the unpleasant recollections indicate long-term memory is intact.

The day I cannot remember anything is when I will really start worrying! I certainly have no intention of letting things get to that point.
I like this bright side! I didn't even consider that.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChrisBen View Post
I have 360. But I have 25 years of cringe worthy really? moments. I take a lot of deep breaths, remind myself that the past is the past and this is a new chapter of my life. One that I plan on completing sober. I use a few of them as reminders of why I want to live my life sober now. I also think we make things bigger in our heads, at least I think I do. If I take some of these moments apart I remember that the people I was with were stupid drunk too.
I do make things bigger in my head, and I doubt anyone else is sitting there thinking about what we did or I did 15 years ago. And you're right, they were all as messed up as I was.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Difficulty sleeping again.
Day 29.
Me too! I was sleeping really well and now I am struggling again
Old 03-02-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
I was wondering if there is any corrolation between quitting drinking and lowered immunity to infections? Anyone else experience this? Is there any info on this? I searched yesterday but came up with nothing.
I have a sore throat and a runny nose this morning, UGH. But hey, I'm not hungover! Slept like a log after taking melatonin for the first time. Your body makes it naturally, so who needs Nytol? Ok, I only ever tried that once [recently] as well. I've never been one to reach for the pill bottle [and never did drugs] -- wish I could have felt the same about the wine bottle!

Have a great day, everyone! March 2, Day 2.

p.s. Thanks for the Campral stories -- I hope not to have side effects! Nausea would not be good.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Day 16 quiting smoking and drinking. Feeling great and the cravings has subsided. Will have to carch up in all the posts sometime just very busy at work and i am trying to get normal family life going again.

Well done to everyone for sticking it out. I need to make some plans for the weekend to keep me properly busy.

Keep up the good work!!!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Hi PHRD, I am betting your intelligence will crush your drinking problem like a sledgehammer hitting an ant.
That would be wonderful, but addiction is a VERY strong force, one that can't easily be rationed with or talked out of, unfortunately. It's taken me a while to figure this out, that's why I'm now getting help. I thought I had enough willpower and intellect to do this fight on my own (I think my husband did too), but I was wrong.

knb, my son is 11. I've been pretty open about it with him, because he is now very aware of when I'm drinking. He used to think I was having a sugar low [type 1 diabetic], but even that I can't hide, because now he checks my CGM [constant glucose monitor] constantly.

PHRD, I'm really sorry to hear that about your daughter. This scares me more than anything! My son has cried, saying he will never touch alcohol, but we all know how that goes. He is 'different' [Aspie], and I think those teens have more tendency to drink to fit in.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Did you see GardenGal where my 12 year old tried alcohol and was feeling sick at school? I just dumped out all the booze and guess what I did which was a huge gigantic step for me? I told my husband that I'm done drinking and that it just keeps causing problems for me! I had kind of said it a couple days ago casually but this time I said it very concretely. DONE
Old 03-02-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Oh you did sorry. My oldest has Aspergers. He's 21 and in college now. All grown up and doing amazing!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Did you see GardenGal where my 12 year old tried alcohol and was feeling sick at school? I just dumped out all the booze and guess what I did which was a huge gigantic step for me? I told my husband that I'm done drinking and that it just keeps causing problems for me! I had kind of said it a couple days ago casually but this time I said it very concretely. DONE
My 12 year old son tried pot. I could've choked him, then I found out his friends MOTHER was buying it for them and actually taught them to smoke. He was doing this while ditching school.... Talk about an eye opener for mom.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

My wife often says she doesn't want our 2 boys at home, to grow up with alcohol in the house.
She's right, I think.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Oh you did sorry. My oldest has Aspergers. He's 21 and in college now. All grown up and doing amazing!
That's good news. My son is a straight A student [3 A+s!], pretty nerdy, but every year he makes more friends. I vet them out pretty well.

Silicon Valley is loaded with Aspie's -- there are plenty of opportunities for them there. I'm quite sure Steve Jobs was, and wasn't his old logo "Think Different"? mm hmm.

JL, your wife makes a good point. I think it's ok for kids to see the occasional glass here and there, but not bottles being downed.

360, what are you going to do regarding this friend? And the mother?? I'd have strong words for her...
  # 218 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
My wife often says she doesn't want our 2 boys at home, to grow up with alcohol in the house.
She's right, I think.
I think she's right too, we have both quit and removed it from the house. The change is amazing and it's barely coming up on a month now... It's really important to me to have them grow up right and in a good environment.
  # 219 (permalink)  

My other older son, step son who is now 21 put use through a nightmare with his alcohol and drug use in high school. And yep, one time he took alcohol from our house and one time he had a big party we allowed and supervised really well but figured out they were putting vodka in water bottles.

I don't think I'm strong enough to raise one more teen while dealing with my own issues. None of them have been easy and this last one is the worst. So great in so many ways. But has been a challenge since she was very little. I've had to homeschool her for several years because she couldn't go to school without my being asked to come get her because she was having issues...
Old 03-02-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Good morning. Day 28 and allergy season is here. Dee thanks for the reminder. I know. I know. It can be hard though.