Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 02-29-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Originally Posted by amyrose View Post
I fall into the same trap on occasion with my mother. I know not to do it, but sadly still keep hoping she will become human....like hitting my head against a wall. Just know you are not alone!
My mother is almost 80 years old. I've spent my lifetime hoping this [plus trying to knock some sense into her], but I've decided that part of my sobriety is to officially give up on her. It's sad, but then maybe I won't need to go to Al-Anon too.

I remember when she wanted to finally tell her own mother off for all of the abuse. Grandma was 96 and on her death bed. I said "is this really the way you want to goodbye? Let it go." I don't think she has.

btw I thought that my g-ma was super sweet! My dad's mother, on the other hand… *shiver*

Originally Posted by PHRD View Post
GardenGal - We can keep each other in check. My daughter is 12 and can also be a be source of stress. I've written out a plan to go get a coffee, french fries or some other treat and go for a drive the next time she is driving me crazy.
That sounds like a great plan!! Let's do that. Ice cream may be my next thing -- and I've avoided sweets for years!
Old 02-29-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Update - survived and even had fun!! Was so worried, but managed to stop the waiter from pouring my wine, even through his protests. And my "friend" gave me a look, asked if I'm still doing "that thing" and then let it go once I was clear that this wasn't over. Today is day 14 and I cannot remember the last time I was sober for 2 weeks straight. So Happy!!!! Next test is a party Saturday, but am going to focus on each day as it comes. Woohoo!!
Congratulations!!!

Yeah, I can relate. I've been to dinner twice with a friend who insists I share her wine bottle, and I say no thanks, which surprises her. I really need to make a list of excuses [err… reasons], because she doesn't yet know that I'm doing "that thing". I haven't even told my best damn friend!
Old 02-29-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
Congratulations!!!

Yeah, I can relate. I've been to dinner twice with a friend who insists I share her wine bottle, and I say no thanks, which surprises her. I really need to make a list of excuses [err… reasons], because she doesn't yet know that I'm doing "that thing". I haven't even told my best damn friend!
I get it. I haven't told my best friend either. He will not be supportive and I don't have to see him yet, so am avoiding the confrontation. I am lucky as I'm using the whole "gave it up for lent" thing now even though I am neither Catholic or a believer in God. Whatever works and keeps me sober!
Old 02-29-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Checking in, day 3. Went to a meeting.

It's a stressful day, my mother is irritating me. I need her to do something. She agreed last night but is giving me the runaround today. First she had to walk, then the pest control guy was coming, then she got a "sudden" invitation to go play cards. What she needs to do will take 10-15 minutes tops. It's freaking unbelievable.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

In line at school waiting to get my 7 yr old. Ugh.
Upset stomach from antibiotics still on and off so I'm miserable.
Thank god I'm not hung over. O-m-g
Old 02-29-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
In line at school waiting to get my 7 yr old. Ugh.
Upset stomach from antibiotics still on and off so I'm miserable.
Thank god I'm not hung over. O-m-g
Yup I'm with you on the antibiotics... tommorow is my last dose I can't wait! Hang in there.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Never had any reaction to any before but this new one I quit after 2 days. It was awful.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberjim View Post
Hey everyone.

It has been an interesting month. My fourth week end in a row. 30 days ago today I made the decision to put this behind me once and for all.

This week end was (my 4th) was easier that the past few week ends. I feel better for sure and am sleeping way better.

The concern I have now is moving forward one day at time and no listening to that AV. I think after 30 days there is danger in thinking that you have made it to 30 days and you do not really have a problem.

OK in my case I know I do.

Thank you everyone for your support.!
This is exactly how I feel, word for word. The only difference is that I'm three days behind soberjim.
I'm worried about becoming complacent and thinking I can have "just one beer." I know if I do, it'll weaken my resolve the next time because I got away with it. I don't want to go back to where I was even a month ago. I never want to be that person again.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GardenGal View Post
Congratulations!!!

I need a list of excuses, and back up excuses to have at the ready:

"No thanks, alcohol interferes with my heart medication."
"No thanks, alcohol interferes with my Prozac."
"No thanks, alcohol interferes with my brain function."
Old 02-29-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jobei View Post
What's up with that? Why is there so much alcohol in your house? There is in my house because it's not my home and I'm getting out of here ASAP!
I believe Old T lives with her parents.

Hey knb is that you in the photo? Youre gorgeous!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Good Morning All

Day 1 for me
Old 02-29-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
This is exactly how I feel, word for word. The only difference is that I'm three days behind soberjim.
I'm worried about becoming complacent and thinking I can have "just one beer." I know if I do, it'll weaken my resolve the next time because I got away with it. I don't want to go back to where I was even a month ago. I never want to be that person again.
This is what my AV is trying to say to me.. I am on day 35. It was quiet from day 21 to day 33. I thought It was getting easier but since Sunday it has been nagging me. Normally a craving comes and goes but I can't shake this one off.

It's telling me that I am fine...to go ahead and have a few glasses of wine. I deserve it ..it wasn't that bad. Unbelievable because it was bad. It was horrific
Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
Good Morning All

Day 1 for me
Hi Cococo. How you feeling?
Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Applekat and ladybug? Where are you?
Old 02-29-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
Checking in, day 3. Went to a meeting.

It's a stressful day, my mother is irritating me. I need her to do something. She agreed last night but is giving me the runaround today. First she had to walk, then the pest control guy was coming, then she got a "sudden" invitation to go play cards. What she needs to do will take 10-15 minutes tops. It's freaking unbelievable.
Take a deep breath bluedog.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

I get it. I haven't told my best friend either. He will not be supportive and I don't have to see him yet, so am avoiding the confrontation. I am lucky as I'm using the whole "gave it up for lent" thing now even though I am neither Catholic or a believer in God. Whatever works and keeps me sober!
I tell people that I have problems with my liver. That shuts them up.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
Good Morning All

Day 1 for me
It's great that you're being accountable and still posting. That's the important thing. It very nearly happened to me on Friday....the glass was literally an inch from my lips.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

It's true. Someone at the table literally wanted me to smell her Coors Light. Yeah, I'll get right on that...
Old 02-29-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone. Feeling a bit sad today. I have a cold and had to miss my recovery group. Just generally feel run down, plus I made the mistake of looking at my jewelry with the idea of selling some of it. Most of it is from my parents, who are both gone, and some from my ex, so it just made me feel horrible.

Guess selling it will have to wait.

But in better news, whenever I was sick before and had no responsibilities on a certain day, I would be drinking by now.

Day 6.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Day 9 here. Stay sober on this Monday everyone.! *hugs*