Notices

Soberpotamus's Oral Surgery Recovery Support & Journal Part 2

Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

It was my first night of sleep unaided by pain medicine. Going to sleep happened slowly. I kept waking up as I was about to drift off, jerking myself awake, and having dreams of the doctor coming toward me. Kind of frustrating. I think my mind was afraid and trying to protect my jaw. I tried to settle down into my pillows, to feel secure. The only way I can sleep for a while is flat on my back, and elevated 45 degrees or so. So I think I'm afraid I'm going to attempt to roll over on the side of my face. So far, it hasn't happened. It's going into my subconscious that I just cannot shift like that.

I slept very late today, and woke up in my own sweat. Maybe I'm sweating out all the meds.

Woke up pain-free again.

It's amazing how quickly my body is healing now.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
This is the ultimate book by a young man imprisoned in his own body, unable to speak or move, but his brain was functioning normally. Only problem, he couldn't tell or show anyone that he was alive inside.

Martin Pistorius 'Ghost Boy'
Oh, that sounds horrific.

Just having my mouth mostly banded shut, high on meds and having communication issues was enough for me to feel I was in a nightmarish situation. Some of my greatest fears involve being buried alive or shut into small spaces, feeling trapped in any way -- where my brain is working, but I'm unable to do or say anything to get out.

I will look into this book, Anna.

And I must mention that these fears were all there for me when I had to make the call to take my mom off life support, knowing she wasn't brain-dead, she was only sedated. It is a terrible weight to carry.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post

Speaking of eating - I am totally guilty too of chewing and swallowing like crazy. There is something ...illlogically pleasant for me in this. Like my mind resiters that I have an abudnance of foods to process and it is good. I sometimes just force myself to slow down, but it is still work in progress. One of possible reasons I personally hold accountable for this is that I starved when I was a teen, and now somewhere in the background there is always anxiety that there is lack of food and I have to grab it while it is available.
I am guessing this is something that stays with you forever, MB.

I've read books in which the author develops characters who've been affected by hunger or poverty in youth, and this is one detail often used -- the character as an adult eating ravenously, and then perhaps noticing and becoming aware she is doing it, slowing down, reminding herself that she is no longer starving.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, SP)

Good news that you slept without painkillers today, even though your mind's alert system kept gave you some hard time.

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I am guessing this is something that stays with you forever, MB.
I sometimes think so too, but I am a big believer in neuroplasticity) At some point I will re-train my brain that it has nothing to be afraid of now.

Have a good day, SP)
Old 01-20-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post

I sometimes think so too, but I am a big believer in neuroplasticity) At some point I will re-train my brain that it has nothing to be afraid of
Oh, definitely, yeah, I'm a believer too.

I guess I meant it's one of those firmly lodged memories, but nothing that we can't overcome, perhaps by habit change, neuroplasticity, and who knows what else?
Old 01-20-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
It was my first night of sleep unaided by pain medicine. Going to sleep happened slowly. I kept waking up as I was about to drift off, jerking myself awake, and having dreams of the doctor coming toward me. Kind of frustrating. I think my mind was afraid and trying to protect my jaw. I tried to settle down into my pillows, to feel secure. The only way I can sleep for a while is flat on my back, and elevated 45 degrees or so. So I think I'm afraid I'm going to attempt to roll over on the side of my face. So far, it hasn't happened. It's going into my subconscious that I just cannot shift like that.

I slept very late today, and woke up in my own sweat. Maybe I'm sweating out all the meds.

Woke up pain-free again.

It's amazing how quickly my body is healing now.
I am so glad that things are getting better, Potamus!!!!!
Old 01-20-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Thanks, SoberLeigh.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Happy too, for you.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Thank you, Kris.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

So...I took off my two rubber bands! Nothing terrible happened as a result, lol. My jaw didn't fall to the floor.

I waited a little while to get used to the freedom, and then I used my Peridex rinse, and eased the toothbrush in to a few places very gently.

It is so odd how something like this puts into perspective how we take for granted the little things we are able to do for ourselves daily.

I have never felt so desperate to brush my teeth!!

The only thing to compare is that horrible hangover next day yucky mouth feeling before we can get to the sink to brush. And this is worse than that!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Glad the pain is gone. Soon you will fall asleep without worry...
And no more pain meds - woo-hoo!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

It's so nice not to be dependent on the pain meds, yes!
Old 01-20-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad you are starting to heal Soberpotamus, has the bruising started to recede?

Last edited by saoutchik; 01-20-2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Perishing autocorrect
Old 01-20-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

It's hard to see it in this lighting, Sao, so I'm not sure. It was shocking when I looked into the car mirror yesterday in daylight, because I had no clue until then I had yellow-green bruising all over me. So I'm guessing it's probably still there. I can see it on my neck and upper chest. They say swelling goes down dramatically at the two week point. What's super annoying is the fat, swollen, and numb lower lip. If I'm not careful the liquids will run out of my mouth just like I'm a baby. Disgusting really.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Lower jaw surgery causes more swelling than upper jaw surgery.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Yellow and green are pretty good signs with bruising, as I'm sure you know....it means you are healing.

Love and good morning.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Didn't know that!

Xoxo, Venuscat
Old 01-20-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Just checking in! Wow...you're making all sorts of progress yay!
Xo
Old 01-20-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Hi, Brynn.

Thanks for checking on me.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Checking in to see how you are doing, SP. Sounds like it was a good day. And I'm glad you figured out that your jaw wont fall off if you take off the bands to brush your teeth.