Notices

One Year & Over Part 33

Old 12-24-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Re-Member

FBL,
Hope you made the trip fine!
I really had no idea who Carole Bayer Sager was, other than knowing she was a singer, or that she wrote those songs. I missed a lot in the late 70’s and all through the 80s. Not from alcohol but from both active duty and school, as well as my burgeoning Mobile DJ biz to blow off steam on weekends and get paid to party and play my music –LOUD! Then I found this song and was astounded, yes I knew the hit songs, and this one, but missed that these guys got together on it, and didn’t know who she was:

Sassy,
Glad you got a giggle! You’ve missed some of my doggerel catch up posts too. Are you back to normal and the fungus no longer amongus? I’ve never really heard of many fungal infections and then, here in this year, Wolf, then me in our ears and now you!
You too!

Drake!
I’ve snorkeled the East Coast and the Scuba’d the Red Sea for a week but never swam with a whale shark.Wow! Nice pics bud!

RZ!
Half lit! LOL! How’re my old hometown and yours next door doing this winter, now that it is official, the Equinox duly observed and fertility rights completed with the virgins? (or the legal and safer voluntary replacements called wives and Significant Harassments, Significant others, or as in my case, both.)

Wolf,
Yes my friend it is the little things. Your dinner sounds wonderful. It is 2:30 ish here in the PM. You paint well with few words.

IP!
Joyeux Noël
I had no idea and had to look up Festivus for the rest of us. For those wondering what the pole was for etc. it is all here, and actually was a family tradition for one of the show’s writers. Someone actually grew up explaining that!
Click here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus
Festivus was yesterday!
Good one.

Toots!
I’m with you, on Festivus, not the cough. Looks like it takes another wordsmith to get it. I love word play

Mags,
What’s OWT? Glad all yours are nursed back as well as Toots’.

Well, we are cooking for the whole family tomorrow bringing it over to our dad’s (my in law) tomorrow. He was desolate for Thanksgiving and got a bottle and has been drinking on and off since. He is in such bad shape with back pain and losing his ability to do much more than shuffle around. He can either drink alcohol or his docs will write him scrips for the “hard narcotics.” He is at that stage. Pre Hospice or not. Her brother and family are next door on the family property, and they had to borrow from him to pay their electric and truck note. Every family has one that they can’t help because it does no good. So we got a ten pound ham, some pies, and all the fixins for a good ol Southern Christmas. With Greens and Cornbread, but all wanted no turkey. I will have to eat a turkey frozen dinner tonight to get my minimal Turkey fix. We’re looking forward to seeing the Granddaughters and oldest son too.

We feel a little guilty for being solid and easy in our lives. Perhaps that was my drinking wish, to have a problem and be like everyone else, because I’m not everyone else. Christmas is just a little bittersweet for me. There is joy in that feeling too. If you have the holiday blues, or are alone, then by golly just do it. Get off your arse and go to a shelter and serve food, cook, or bring them food. Visit the sick in a hospital. If you can sing and play do that for the sick and needy, they need art and beauty to nourish their inner spirit too. Got two good coats? Go find someone with none. IT's funny how we always get more than we give. I wrote about the feeling that the ones that are gone ahead, or chose to get out of touch, only make me realize I can end the ones still here.

Only At Christmas

It’s only at Christmas that we think of all,
The people and blessings, that make us feel tall.
And the things we believe in, that help us get by,
The babe in the manger, and three wise Magi.

So we smile at our children, as they smile at theirs,
And we cherish the moment let loose of our cares.
It’s a circle completed, that ever goes on,
It includes all our hopes, even after we’re gone.

It even brings out, all our longing for those,
Who have broken that circle, which we’d love to close.
It’s only at Christmas that maybe there’d be,
More hearts that come open, at last to be free.

Each life touched another, and another and then,
Our children had others to start it again,
And we cherish those others, while some walked away,
We’ll all miss their presence, on our Christmas day.

If we truly believe, then our circle is whole,
Even those who are absent, can play their own role.
For we choose to remember, all the best that we are,
Including the memories of those from afar.

©Itchy 1997-2004 All Rights Reserved. Three rights is left.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Itchy, sorry about your FIL.

I never cease to be amazed by all of the talented people we have in Overs. I suspect that longer sobriety enables us to be both more creative and productive, kinder and happier.

There are people, situations, events that used to set my teeth on edge. Now I'm discovering that my empathy muscles are growing stronger.

Peace and joy!
Old 12-24-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening overs

Hi itchy, OWT is anything, sorry for the slang, it comes out in my words occasionally! Lol. A lovely poem , I enjoyed reading it.

Well, it's not long to Christmas Day here, 10.30 pm, I'm sure it already is Christmas Day for many of you. I hope it's a good day for you all with your families and, or friends.

Hi sassy!
Old 12-24-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Itchy your such a good dude you really are I love all your posts your last made me think of this feelgood story

Hair Stylists Spend All Day Giving Free Haircuts To Homeless People. The Results Were Incredible
Old 12-24-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lovely story for the holidays, Wolfie! Now if every single person who was able to do so helped just one homeless person one day per year, imagine the possible results :-)
Old 12-25-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's a lovely story Saskia isn't it the results were incredible

Just waking up my sister neice & nephew are popping up to see me in a few hours
Old 12-25-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas Overs!

and itch, downtown still looks the same, just with a few more security cameras! lol
Old 12-25-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas, Overs!
Old 12-25-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Do your best

As promised from yesterday

Rare Full Cold Moon stuns crowds in the Middle East, Europe and America | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-25-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Merry Merry Overs! Great pics in that article Wolf. A couple of them taken in a suburb near me.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Happy Holiday's, Overs.

Lovin and grateful for this clean and sober lifestyle.

I guess it is more of a Festivas for me; with a nice day of visiting family, friends and recovering drunks in my plans.

Heard from a mia Undie/over yesterday and that was such a nice holiday gift.

Carlos
Old 12-25-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Drake I got some pics yesterday myself thier in my album but my camera isn't great but you can see

Been a awesome christmas were currently watching trainwreck with Amy Shumer

Wishing everyone the best this christmas evening
Old 12-25-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sassy, I agree about talented people in our ranks. But I am not surprised. People tend to go to their bottom before they decide to stop digging and get out of the hole they’ve dug. When I was counseling at LSUS university, I was stunned at the strength of my clients. See their bottoms were way below mine. I would come unglued at half what they put themselves through and endured like it was nothing. I would have died halfway to their bottoms. That not being better or thinking so, but rather glad I didn’t make myself go there.
That was long before I did. Then found myself shaking AND HAVING TO GET A SHOT DOWN ON WAKING TO STOP THE SHAKING. Now I’m amazed I had the strength to come back from the edge. All kinds are in our ranks. Nothing noble or romantic about us, until we put it down.

Mags,
Thnx!

Wolf,
Thnx, and those results from the haircuts for the homeless were terrific, as were the pics of the cold Moon.

Carlos,
That is great news when a friend in sobriety is discovered whole again. Ours was just the FIL at his place and the three granddaughters. Festivus sounds really nice to me now too.

Christmas was understandably strange with mom gone and dad not far behind. We put on a good Christmas dinner and made it good for the family. There was some love in the air today. Sometimes we can’t get enough only to find that’s because we haven’t given it to come back again.
Nite Overs, I hope each had a fulfilling holiday.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

OMG Turkeys are HUGE. Cooking a Boxing Day Turkey for my family and a few friends.... they know I don't cook ... so there are zero expectations.. WISH ME LUCK

Merry Christmas everyone
Old 12-25-2015, 09:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

And to you LSC

D
Old 12-25-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Reading and smiling and hoping it has all been a wonderful Christmas for all of you.
Hope so!

Seriously...the Christmas smilies here are SO cute!

So much love to all of the Overs. ♥
Old 12-26-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

At my in laws later , hope it all goes well.

I agree V, it looks like Christmas is going pretty darn well!
Old 12-26-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Overs
Old 12-26-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

I had a pleasant and yummy Christmas and birthday at the old folks' home. Very relaxing, good food and good company. Murphy was working overtime for me yesterday - the usual phone calls from distant siblings and daughter came in but all calls happened when I was out of my apartment for under 5 minutes. 😱 Oh well, easy enough to call back!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

hope everyone that celebrates had a decent christmas day