Notices

One Year & Over Part 33

Old 12-26-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Got back late last night from my whirlwind trip...was going to head back this morning, but wanted to beat some bad weather. Christmas Eve was spent opening gifts and reminiscing. Christmas Day I took Mom to church and then over to my brother's house for a big meal. Mom had trouble with her X-mas cards this year, so we'll have to plan to help her with them next year. We can see the dementia creeping in and it's heartbreaking, but we are hopeful that her faculties will remain intact for awhile longer. My only nephew announced his engagement...second go-around for him in the marriage department, hopefully she's the one.

Have a great Saturday, gang!
Old 12-26-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I am all messed up. Spending time in church Thursday which would equate to Sunday. Yesterday felt like a Saturday, I was mostly off , but had to deal with a couple problems as usual. We have trash pick up usually on Friday, but they delayed till today, so now I think it is Friday. Got that?? Neither do I.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Do your best

Saturday here
Old 12-26-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Drake, now you've got me thoroughly confused
Old 12-26-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Happy Boxing Day everyone.
I had a good Christmas Day, got some nice presents and ate a lot of really good food! It still continues......it's chilly here, and been raining a lot.
I'm going book shopping today, going to try to find M Train by Patti Smith and Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert.
I'm actually starting to look forward to getting back.....home!? I guess. It's turned from a temporary stop to somewhere I'm actually thinking about sticking around.
I feel good, all in all. Happy. Usually seeing my family makes me feel all squirelly but I feel strong in myself this time.
My dad got a new cappuccino maker for Christmas so I've been going hard on the espressos.

Enjoy the day Overs.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening & Goodnight Overs
Old 12-26-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Bro and I had a good belated Christmas dinner at a nice café downtown. I brought home two little pieces of salmon and red potato for the dogs. They know I always share my food. (if it's safe for them to eat, that is)

Now it's raining, but I don't mind cause I already walked the dogs twice.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey all! Glad it went well for all except poor confuzzled Drake. Everything will get back to schedule as soon as 2016 rolls past.

We are waiting for the son and grandaughters to stop by to see the new house setup somewhat except for all the landscaping which will have to wait for the monsoon season to end next year.

Least! Hey glad to hear you had a nice time with brother. Salmon is a doggie delicacy. When we were in Alaska catching more salmon than we could eat our now departed Bogart "The Wonder Dog" and I would share fresh roe from the Reds and Silvers we cleaned. And both of us liked it raw, smoked, fried, any way we could eat it. My SH only liked it cooked or smoked with heat, not LOX or Nova Scotia style smoked salmon which is to die for. (But she likes Bluefin Sashimi??)I love that she never takes any of the four ounce packets we get. I love it on saltines with a dollop of cream cheese. YUM!

BTW, don't eat raw fish that is not processed correctly. Processed you ask, you thought it was raw? It is but read this article before you do. I considered the ROE safe but the fish flesh we froze in the flash freezers that were at all the Alaska ports and river fishing spots. Is Sushi Safe to Eat?

Now you know why Sushi costs more than just raw fish. It is processed too, and at more expense than just cooking.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Boxing day is nearly over here.
I've eaten too much sugar I've got a headache but hey at least I won't have a hangover in the morning. X
Old 12-26-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Old 12-26-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Enjoying the holidays and time spent with family and friends. A day at home today, Sunday.

Like the pic, mesaman.

I know what you mean about the days being confusing, drake! I'm working it out every morning but then again, I often wake up and have to work out what day it is! Hehe. Hubby asks me every day so I'm not alone in the confusions!

Thanks for the info itchy, I didn't realise that sushi is processed. Then again if it's in the supermarket in containers, I should imagine it's had something done to it.

Have a good Sunday overs.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:09 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Drake it's Frimonthursaturday. I think!

MesaMan, love the pic!

Well, all that extracting the urine out of Mr T bit me on the butt big time, I spent Christmas Day in a walking coma. Apparently I did good things with the dinner and everyone was happy. Wished I could remember more of it. Beginning to feel better now, though still coughing. Did nothing yesterday it was foul weather here wet and windy all day. ( Molly and I went out in the morning but our 'run' was more of a miserable totter )

Love the pics Wolfie!

FBL my sis in law had her mom for Christmas and she is beginning to show signs of dementia too. It may be the last holiday they get with her before she forgets them all.

I hope the Turkey cooked before Boxing Day LSC!

Hugs all xx
Old 12-27-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello all
Old 12-27-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Hey all! Glad it went well for all except poor confuzzled Drake. Everything will get back to schedule as soon as 2016 rolls past.
I know only one other person who uses "confuzzled" and she is from Shreveport... must be a Louisiana thing! At least I am not confuzzled because I am rip drunk! I think I know what day it is now, finally. The confusion of holidays plus a bit of residual jet lag do not make it easy.

Most fish sold for sushi has actually been frozen or are processed in such as way to control any potential contamination. I have never gotten sick from sushi, even made at home.... other places/foods yes.

Nasty wet weather here, at lest no storms or snow... yet. Off to see the kids a couple hours from here. Daughter is in from Denver for the weekend and son is in from St Louis at their mom's. I waited to today to avoid their aunt (mom's sister) who is nuts and mean.

Anyway, have a good one Overs!
Old 12-27-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

We had more rain yesterday and we get a slight break today with the good ol' rain/sleet/snow mix heading in for tomorrow. Looks like winter may finally be arriving this coming week.

Time to go for my extended Sunday morning walk.

Have a great Sunday, overs!

PS: All this talk of sushi puts me in mind of The Tubes:

Old 12-27-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

eeeeeeeeewe, raw fish!
Old 12-27-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
eeeeeeeeewe, raw fish!
Totally agree, RZ! I tried a bite once and won't describe the results. I suspect I'm allergic.

FBL, now I understand why you have musical ideas for every occasion :-)

Sorry you've been feeling poorly, Toots.

And I haven't forgotten the rest of you but brain doesn't get out of neutral until later in the day (if then).
Old 12-27-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Do your best

Me & Mrs Sw are making chicken savory pancakes after we finish watching the good dinosaur
Old 12-27-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening Overs I think my dog is depressed he seems down in the dumps going to play some of his favorite games to cheer him up
Old 12-27-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Re-Member

LSC,
How’d your turkey turn out? (The one in the oven, not any attendee)

V,
All good?

Mags,
Still at in laws? YW! Up in Alaska most coastal resorts have free flash freezers and commercial vacuum sealer machines. That is where I learned. BTW we had a bowl of Salmon filets in the frig in our RV we were goiung to have the next day, and when we took the foild off the bowl saw tiny worms coming out of the flesh that were yellow. Here is a video showing what we saw: Parasitic Worms in Salmon - Bing video
For folks that gross out, it is surprising to find that frozen fish is actually better than fresh. But again before anyone freaks, there are similar parasites in all our meats, not just pork. And the same holds true for them too, frozen or cooked the parasites are destroyed.
Excerpt: “During commercial freezing fish is frozen solid at a temperature of -35°F and stored at this temperature or below for a minimum of 15 hours to kill parasites. Most home freezers have temperatures at 0°F to 10°F and may not be cold enough to kill parasites because it can take up to 7 days at -4°F or below to kill parasites, especially in large fish. Good handling practices on-board fishing vessels and in processing plants can minimize nematode infestation. Many seafood processors inspect seafood fillets of species likely to contain parasites. This process called candling involves examining fish fillets over lights. Candling detects surface parasites. Unfortunately, they cannot always see parasites embedded deep in thick fillets or in dark tissue. Candling is also useful for revealing pinbones in fillets that are intended to be boneless.
Fish is also safe to eat after it is cooked to an internal temperature of 145°F for 15 seconds. Normal cooking procedures generally exceed this temperature. If a thermometer is not available to check the internal temperature of the thickest portion of the fish, the fish should be cooked until it loses its translucency and flakes easily with a fork.
If a parasite is present in a fish, you have several options:
• Remove the parasite, examine the fish for others and cook the fish. Thorough cooking kills all parasites
• Notify the store where you bought the fish so that the store can carefully inspect remaining fish.
• Depending on the return policy of the particular store, you may wish to return or exchange the unused portion.”

Parasites | Seafood Health Facts

Hello Wolf!
Cocooning today? Sounds great! Hope your fur kid isn’t ill. He’ll perk up with attention often?

Sassy,
Glad yours came out great too! I just sent this out to my friends who shared emails with me:

I am a Seenager. (Senior teenager)

I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later.

I don't have to go to school or work.

I get an allowance every month.

I have my own pad.

I don't have a curfew.

I have a driver's license and my own car.

I have ID that gets me into bars and the wine store. I like the wine store best.

The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant, they aren’t scared of anything, they have been blessed to live this long... why be scared?

And I don't have acne.

Life is Good! Also, you will feel much more intelligent after reading this, if you are a Seenager.

Brains of older people are slow because they know so much. People do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe.

This also makes you hard of hearing as it puts pressure on your inner ear.

Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full, so too, do humans take longer to access information when their brains are full.

Researchers say this slowing down process is not the same as cognitive decline. The human brain works slower in old age, said Dr. Michael Ramscar, but only because we have stored more information over time. The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.

Also, older people often go to another room to get something and when they get there, they stand there wondering what they came for. It is NOT a memory problem; it is nature's way of making older people do more exercise.

SO THERE!!

I have more friends I should send this to, but right now I can't remember their names. So, please forward this to your friends; they may be my friends, too.
and finally...

I forgot to send it last week!

Merry Christmas

Happy 2016

RZ,
Hope yours was great! Ours was more than decent! I’ve been forgetting to take my expectations off others and just love them for who, and what, they are.
Raw fish is an acquired taste granted. I love raw Conch, Clams, and Oysters too.

FBL,
Sorry you have to deal with that. Your family sounds great bud. We and our loved ones all come with expiration dates. It is heartbreaking and I don’t know any family that hasn’t had to deal with it. Hope your weekend went well!

IP,
I had to look up boxing day. We don’t do that in the US. We do keep small gifts or ten dollar bills to give to our mail folks and other delivery regulars. So with all that caffeine you feel un-squirrely? IT is nice to hear you are settling in and no longer think you are settling for.

Hi Petals!
I’m with Mesa, boxing day sounds pretty entrenched over and there!

Mesa, Cute!

Toots,
You dealing with elders with memory issues too? Walking coma? Yikes! Sounds like you were too pooped to pop! Glad you are on the mend and remembering today!

Drake!
Noooo, just here for my SH’s elderly parent/s. Mine gone a decade ago plus. I’m from Stamford CT for my teen years, pretty much all over the world for the rest. I was stationed here for my first tour in the AF, and my wife’s dad was also career AF and she lived all over too like me from birth - 7 and 18 - current. I also use the expression cool beans a lot for fantastic.

Our power went out and this is the first time since we got the new house and installed the 25kw to replace the 15 that would stall when the A/C kicked on. Not good here in the Southern US. The old One was also Propane powered, so we had a tank that cost a bunch to keep filled. This one is connected to our city NG (Natural Gas.) NG has much less energy per cubic foot of gas than propane. So I had to get a much larger one to be sure I could have A/C and sold the unsightly 200 gallon tank. The genset kicked on perfectly and the power company said the power would be restored by six. It went out at 3PM. We have major storms moving in. Over Christmas Eve tornados ripped through other Southern states right next to us, and on Christmas day. Today it is our turn as they predict golf ball sized hail and 70 mph winds with a possible 5-6” of rain!!! I’m glad the generator works and runs everything fine. It is 75° ( 23.88C) and humid, so A/C a must. Have a safe Sunday and rest of this year!

There is no return on investment with a whole house generator with automatic switchover. However the gas has never gone out when the power has. So we don't have lost frozen food or other things, folks use as justification for them. However, it is like having an expensive watch or a diamond ring or a separate freezer. When it is dark and our generator comes on, the TV stays on, our UPS' Uninterruptible Power Supplies under our computers and entertainment devices keep them running fine for the 15 seconds it takes for the genset to decide it is a power outage not a fluctuation and take over with the automatic switch. They run several minutes if the generator failed allowing us time to save and shut down the computers. The UPS also protects from surges and lightening strikes.
If this is too long just skip it. Sorry!