Notices

One Year & Over Part 33

Old 12-27-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

OK here Itchy ~ I have a few things on my mind, and I do grumpy pants at this time of year.
Kind of ironic really, because I'm only moody during the festive season.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Re-Member

V Kitten,
You share that with lots of folks. Especially singles who feel like friends inviting them are only being charitable. We used to sponsor our single Airmen and women on holidays. We found our holidays aren't fun unless we have family and friends over. Sorry you feel grumpy, hope you feel better soon.

I went down the dark street and I doubt they are going to get the power fixed anytime soon. at least five high power poles in a row with the major lines on them were blown over and look like the power lines are all that is keeping them from falling all the way to the ground.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
LSC,
How’d your turkey turn out? (The one in the oven, not any attendee)

V,
All good?

Mags,
Still at in laws? YW! Up in Alaska most coastal resorts have free flash freezers and commercial vacuum sealer machines. That is where I learned. BTW we had a bowl of Salmon filets in the frig in our RV we were goiung to have the next day, and when we took the foild off the bowl saw tiny worms coming out of the flesh that were yellow. Here is a video showing what we saw: Parasitic Worms in Salmon - Bing video
For folks that gross out, it is surprising to find that frozen fish is actually better than fresh. But again before anyone freaks, there are similar parasites in all our meats, not just pork. And the same holds true for them too, frozen or cooked the parasites are destroyed.
Excerpt: “During commercial freezing fish is frozen solid at a temperature of -35°F and stored at this temperature or below for a minimum of 15 hours to kill parasites. Most home freezers have temperatures at 0°F to 10°F and may not be cold enough to kill parasites because it can take up to 7 days at -4°F or below to kill parasites, especially in large fish. Good handling practices on-board fishing vessels and in processing plants can minimize nematode infestation. Many seafood processors inspect seafood fillets of species likely to contain parasites. This process called candling involves examining fish fillets over lights. Candling detects surface parasites. Unfortunately, they cannot always see parasites embedded deep in thick fillets or in dark tissue. Candling is also useful for revealing pinbones in fillets that are intended to be boneless.
Fish is also safe to eat after it is cooked to an internal temperature of 145°F for 15 seconds. Normal cooking procedures generally exceed this temperature. If a thermometer is not available to check the internal temperature of the thickest portion of the fish, the fish should be cooked until it loses its translucency and flakes easily with a fork.
If a parasite is present in a fish, you have several options:
• Remove the parasite, examine the fish for others and cook the fish. Thorough cooking kills all parasites
• Notify the store where you bought the fish so that the store can carefully inspect remaining fish.
• Depending on the return policy of the particular store, you may wish to return or exchange the unused portion.”

Parasites | Seafood Health Facts

Hello Wolf!
Cocooning today? Sounds great! Hope your fur kid isn’t ill. He’ll perk up with attention often?

Sassy,
Glad yours came out great too! I just sent this out to my friends who shared emails with me:

I am a Seenager. (Senior teenager)

I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later.

I don't have to go to school or work.

I get an allowance every month.

I have my own pad.

I don't have a curfew.

I have a driver's license and my own car.

I have ID that gets me into bars and the wine store. I like the wine store best.

The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant, they aren’t scared of anything, they have been blessed to live this long... why be scared?

And I don't have acne.

Life is Good! Also, you will feel much more intelligent after reading this, if you are a Seenager.

Brains of older people are slow because they know so much. People do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe.

This also makes you hard of hearing as it puts pressure on your inner ear.

Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full, so too, do humans take longer to access information when their brains are full.

Researchers say this slowing down process is not the same as cognitive decline. The human brain works slower in old age, said Dr. Michael Ramscar, but only because we have stored more information over time. The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.

Also, older people often go to another room to get something and when they get there, they stand there wondering what they came for. It is NOT a memory problem; it is nature's way of making older people do more exercise.

SO THERE!!

I have more friends I should send this to, but right now I can't remember their names. So, please forward this to your friends; they may be my friends, too.
and finally...

I forgot to send it last week!

Merry Christmas

Happy 2016

RZ,
Hope yours was great! Ours was more than decent! I’ve been forgetting to take my expectations off others and just love them for who, and what, they are.
Raw fish is an acquired taste granted. I love raw Conch, Clams, and Oysters too.

FBL,
Sorry you have to deal with that. Your family sounds great bud. We and our loved ones all come with expiration dates. It is heartbreaking and I don’t know any family that hasn’t had to deal with it. Hope your weekend went well!

IP,
I had to look up boxing day. We don’t do that in the US. We do keep small gifts or ten dollar bills to give to our mail folks and other delivery regulars. So with all that caffeine you feel un-squirrely? IT is nice to hear you are settling in and no longer think you are settling for.

Hi Petals!
I’m with Mesa, boxing day sounds pretty entrenched over and there!

Mesa, Cute!

Toots,
You dealing with elders with memory issues too? Walking coma? Yikes! Sounds like you were too pooped to pop! Glad you are on the mend and remembering today!

Drake!
Noooo, just here for my SH’s elderly parent/s. Mine gone a decade ago plus. I’m from Stamford CT for my teen years, pretty much all over the world for the rest. I was stationed here for my first tour in the AF, and my wife’s dad was also career AF and she lived all over too like me from birth - 7 and 18 - current. I also use the expression cool beans a lot for fantastic.

Our power went out and this is the first time since we got the new house and installed the 25kw to replace the 15 that would stall when the A/C kicked on. Not good here in the Southern US. The old One was also Propane powered, so we had a tank that cost a bunch to keep filled. This one is connected to our city NG (Natural Gas.) NG has much less energy per cubic foot of gas than propane. So I had to get a much larger one to be sure I could have A/C and sold the unsightly 200 gallon tank. The genset kicked on perfectly and the power company said the power would be restored by six. It went out at 3PM. We have major storms moving in. Over Christmas Eve tornados ripped through other Southern states right next to us, and on Christmas day. Today it is our turn as they predict golf ball sized hail and 70 mph winds with a possible 5-6” of rain!!! I’m glad the generator works and runs everything fine. It is 75° ( 23.88C) and humid, so A/C a must. Have a safe Sunday and rest of this year!

There is no return on investment with a whole house generator with automatic switchover. However the gas has never gone out when the power has. So we don't have lost frozen food or other things, folks use as justification for them. However, it is like having an expensive watch or a diamond ring or a separate freezer. When it is dark and our generator comes on, the TV stays on, our UPS' Uninterruptible Power Supplies under our computers and entertainment devices keep them running fine for the 15 seconds it takes for the genset to decide it is a power outage not a fluctuation and take over with the automatic switch. They run several minutes if the generator failed allowing us time to save and shut down the computers. The UPS also protects from surges and lightening strikes.
If this is too long just skip it. Sorry!
Itchy i seriously enjoyed reading that very informative I didn't know that but I do freeze our fish at -24°c in our freezer

And as for walking into rooms & completely forgetting why I'm guilty of that sometimes lol its always when you get bk to the other room that you remember again annoying lol

Awesome post Itchy
Old 12-27-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi overs

Thanks for the info, itchy. I remember peeling a satsuma once and it was moving and when I looked closely there were orange maggots in it! It took me a long time to eat them again and I always check for them now and any piercings on the skin.

We're back from visiting though there is another trip tomorrow again to in laws to see more visiting family. Though my back was hurting the other day, being sat for nearly 5 hours, I won't do that again! I did move about though, in kitchen for grub and coffee.

It's now bank holiday Monday , 1.15 am. Night, night all.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Oh my, Itchy! I'm trying to type while rolling on the floor laughing
Seenagers, indeed :-). Now I've got excuses for just about everything.

Oh yes, and now in addition to the fungus amungus, I also have a rotten cold. I had forgotten that is one of the reasons I hate the holidays - I always seem to get sick.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Mags ~ Eeeewwwwww!!! Thank God I don't eat satsumas or even know what they are (no, don't tell me). You should see my face...I may not eat for a week. In fact, this may be the best thing to happen to my diet in well, forever.

Hope the power lines are fixed ASAP Itchy, although it sounds like a big job.

Feel better Sass and toots. s
Old 12-27-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Magsie

Haha, sorry V, they wasn't nice at the time! You know what's worse than seeing a maggot in your orange! Half a maggott .

Hope you're feeling better soon sassy and toots!

I'm definitely looking forward to becoming a seenager!
Old 12-28-2015, 01:10 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags ... though half a maggot or any maggot for that matter is way too much for me, ick!

Yes, if I had known I would have tried for seenager-hood sooner
Old 12-28-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Overs
Old 12-28-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Looks like our first winter storm of the season today. Rain/sleet/snow, etc. I'm hoping it's just cold enough to be all snow where I'm at. Speaking of snow, got a call from my brother out in South Dakota, he hit some black ice the other morning and ended up wrecking his car. Luckily, there were no other cars around and he walked away with just some minor bumps and bruises. However, his car is totaled.

I'm only working half-days this week. I'm still a little giddy after talking to Carole Bayer Sager last week. It's not too often that a big-time artist calls us, however it does happen occasionally. Most of them are very polite. In fact, I only had one instance where an artist was upset with us supposedly publishing an incorrect birth date, which we actually had correct. Said artist was trying to shave a few years off her real age. It's actually a fairly common practice, especially in show biz, but harder to pull off in the current information age.

Have a great Monday, gang!
Old 12-28-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

A little snow and sleet here, not as bad as they said. Eastern MO is inundated with rain and floods. I did not get to see the kids yesterday due to the weather, but daughter will probably come here on Tuesday.

HRH Olive has a nasty cough still. Had it all weekend. May need to see vet this week.

All from here!

Old 12-28-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

loved the "Seenager" itch
Old 12-28-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I hope Olive is OK Drake.

And so glad your brother is alright FBL.

Love to everyone.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Do your best

Feeling a bit stuffed after dinner had a lovely day with Mrs sw she ordered some books by Elizabeth hayne, Maya Angelou & Karl pilkington and I ordered some stuff, got some wicked deals at the meat market today & were chilling watching made in chelsea : )
Old 12-28-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Itchy, I'm a seenager too.

Had to go to the vet to pick up Timmy's ashes today. I miss that cat but know he's with mom now and they are both happy.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Well I did it. I finally told my husband and partner of over 20 years that I want a trial separation. The conversation could have gone better but I got emotional. If this is want I want why am I so sad?
The kids are both at sleep overs tonight which is WHY I had to have the conversation today.
After the conversation we continued doing stuff needed to prepare for a camping trip I am taking the girls on in the New Year. Then I went and had a lay down. When I came out he was gone. He has not taken his phone. I guess he has gone for a walk or gone to the club and doesn't want me to ring him to pick him up... so the next chapter begins
Old 12-29-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs.

I'm pleased you got it in the open LSC, hope all goes as well as can do.

((Least)) it's so sad when lose our furry friends , but knowing the years of happiness we shared with them gives us good memories.

Close call for your brother, Fbl, black ice is so dangerous. I'm pleased he's ok.

Drake, I hope olive gets well soon!

Wolfie, I just watched the three part Agatha Christie series on bbc one last three nights, it was good! Hubby guessed who did it tho! (Smarty pants) hehe. We're gonna be getting your recipes through the week from your bargains at the meat market, I'm hoping!

Hi V, sassy, toots, feeling good, itchy, Dee, zippy, Inpar Carlos and all overs.

Quite some floods in uk, York was hit bad, it's getting nearer but we won't be bothered with it unless Scunthorpe is flooded out as we're on a hill. Devastating for the families who's houses have been flooded, some several times.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:11 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi LSC

I think it's perfectly normal and reasonable to feel sad - 20 years is a long time and you've raised a family together....

But you've been working to this for a long time and if you know in heart it's what you want/need, I hope the sadness will diminish for you

D
Old 12-29-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi my friends, just popping in to say a quick hello, and to wish you all the best for 2016.

LSC...that was a brave decision but one I know you have been considering for some time. Sadness is quite understandable. I wish you the very best in negotiating the next few months and keep the faith that you are doing what's right for you.

Well guys I'm 9+ months sober now, and looking forward to re-joining you all in March.

Love to you all my friends and all the best for the New Year ❤️ Xxx
Old 12-29-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too Jeni - here's to a great 2016

D