View Single Post
Old 12-24-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

FBL,
Hope you made the trip fine!
I really had no idea who Carole Bayer Sager was, other than knowing she was a singer, or that she wrote those songs. I missed a lot in the late 70’s and all through the 80s. Not from alcohol but from both active duty and school, as well as my burgeoning Mobile DJ biz to blow off steam on weekends and get paid to party and play my music –LOUD! Then I found this song and was astounded, yes I knew the hit songs, and this one, but missed that these guys got together on it, and didn’t know who she was:

Sassy,
Glad you got a giggle! You’ve missed some of my doggerel catch up posts too. Are you back to normal and the fungus no longer amongus? I’ve never really heard of many fungal infections and then, here in this year, Wolf, then me in our ears and now you!
You too!

Drake!
I’ve snorkeled the East Coast and the Scuba’d the Red Sea for a week but never swam with a whale shark.Wow! Nice pics bud!

RZ!
Half lit! LOL! How’re my old hometown and yours next door doing this winter, now that it is official, the Equinox duly observed and fertility rights completed with the virgins? (or the legal and safer voluntary replacements called wives and Significant Harassments, Significant others, or as in my case, both.)

Wolf,
Yes my friend it is the little things. Your dinner sounds wonderful. It is 2:30 ish here in the PM. You paint well with few words.

IP!
Joyeux Noël
I had no idea and had to look up Festivus for the rest of us. For those wondering what the pole was for etc. it is all here, and actually was a family tradition for one of the show’s writers. Someone actually grew up explaining that!
Click here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus
Festivus was yesterday!
Good one.

Toots!
I’m with you, on Festivus, not the cough. Looks like it takes another wordsmith to get it. I love word play

Mags,
What’s OWT? Glad all yours are nursed back as well as Toots’.

Well, we are cooking for the whole family tomorrow bringing it over to our dad’s (my in law) tomorrow. He was desolate for Thanksgiving and got a bottle and has been drinking on and off since. He is in such bad shape with back pain and losing his ability to do much more than shuffle around. He can either drink alcohol or his docs will write him scrips for the “hard narcotics.” He is at that stage. Pre Hospice or not. Her brother and family are next door on the family property, and they had to borrow from him to pay their electric and truck note. Every family has one that they can’t help because it does no good. So we got a ten pound ham, some pies, and all the fixins for a good ol Southern Christmas. With Greens and Cornbread, but all wanted no turkey. I will have to eat a turkey frozen dinner tonight to get my minimal Turkey fix. We’re looking forward to seeing the Granddaughters and oldest son too.

We feel a little guilty for being solid and easy in our lives. Perhaps that was my drinking wish, to have a problem and be like everyone else, because I’m not everyone else. Christmas is just a little bittersweet for me. There is joy in that feeling too. If you have the holiday blues, or are alone, then by golly just do it. Get off your arse and go to a shelter and serve food, cook, or bring them food. Visit the sick in a hospital. If you can sing and play do that for the sick and needy, they need art and beauty to nourish their inner spirit too. Got two good coats? Go find someone with none. IT's funny how we always get more than we give. I wrote about the feeling that the ones that are gone ahead, or chose to get out of touch, only make me realize I can end the ones still here.

Only At Christmas

It’s only at Christmas that we think of all,
The people and blessings, that make us feel tall.
And the things we believe in, that help us get by,
The babe in the manger, and three wise Magi.

So we smile at our children, as they smile at theirs,
And we cherish the moment let loose of our cares.
It’s a circle completed, that ever goes on,
It includes all our hopes, even after we’re gone.

It even brings out, all our longing for those,
Who have broken that circle, which we’d love to close.
It’s only at Christmas that maybe there’d be,
More hearts that come open, at last to be free.

Each life touched another, and another and then,
Our children had others to start it again,
And we cherish those others, while some walked away,
We’ll all miss their presence, on our Christmas day.

If we truly believe, then our circle is whole,
Even those who are absent, can play their own role.
For we choose to remember, all the best that we are,
Including the memories of those from afar.

©Itchy 1997-2004 All Rights Reserved. Three rights is left.