Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 5

Old 12-03-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hey BBf so sorry to hear about the accident, take it real easy

Curly, sorry to hear about Ricky. I love and get super attached to my pets, it's a really hard thing when they pass

Hugs all round
Old 12-03-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Little tip from me that I learnt in rehab. When the big urge is coming on.. go brush your teeth and gargle with the toothpaste or a mouth wash. Don't know why it works for me but it seems to have an effect on the tastebuds that temporarily stops you thinking about how good that glass of wine would taste.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post
You're kidding.... right??? You need chocolate biscuits....they are awesome! ! Keep.up the good work!!!
No!!! I've never had them! We have chocolates "muffins" in the USA but not chocolate "biscuits"!
Old 12-03-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
Little tip from me that I learnt in rehab. When the big urge is coming on.. go brush your teeth and gargle with the toothpaste or a mouth wash. Don't know why it works for me but it seems to have an effect on the tastebuds that temporarily stops you thinking about how good that glass of wine would taste.
REALLY?!? :-) Cool!
Old 12-03-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blondsober View Post
Day 11. Honestly didn't think I would make it this far and will have some challenges next week (high pressure business drinking dinners) but I am really feeling the positive aspects of sobriety much more intensely that previous goes at it. So I think I may stick with November FOR LIFE!!! : )

So I had an important question for y'all:

Now that my system is clean, and I am sleeping pretty well (for the most part), I am finding that my usual coffee drinking (6 cups in the AM and a few in the afternoon) is: 1) making my anxiety spike; 2) disturbing my sleep at night. Of course in the old days the red wine would be my evening anxiety pill and sleeping pill later on.

Since I have this high pressure stuff going on (see above) I can't really deal with it if I am anxious or sleep-deprived. So I am having to substitute water instead of coffee, which makes me a little sleepy in the afternoon. I'm not a tea drinker, that won't make any difference.

Has anyone else experienced this spike in the effect of caffiene?
How do you deal with it?
You know, i hadn't noticed that effect until you mentioned it, but I've been drinking less coffee over the last week. How about that.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
No!!! I've never had them! We have chocolates "muffins" in the USA but not chocolate "biscuits"!
They call them biscuits in the UK, we call them cookies in North America I think they call them cookies in Australia too, let's wait until Dee comes back
Old 12-03-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Blackbird, I’m so sorry to hear of the accident, thank God you are okay! Don’t worry about the truck, your insurance company will take care of everything. Find out where it was towed so that you can go and retrieve your personal belongs from it when you get the chance. Kuddos to you for not turning this into a numb out opportunity, I don’t know if I could have resisted!
Old 12-03-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Did someone mention coffee? I drink around 4 cups in the morning, but I think it is contributing to the afternoon energy crashes. Starting tomorrow, I am tapering down to 2 cups for a week, then 1 cup and see how I feel. The cold turkey caffeine withdrawal headaches are just too intense for me, especially now. Sugar is next to go (so she says after buying 2 pints of B&J Phish Food and 2 packs of Magnum double caramel ice cream bars earlier today). Yikes, I know better than to go to the store when I’m hungry!
Old 12-03-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, doing well today. Spent the day with my Mother had to take her to the hospital for upper GI procedure . I am feeling well. no cravings. energy good . the sweats ore better been drinking lots of water.

I am having lots of trouble sleeping , I am up mostly all night . only sleeping for short times on and off . Well everyone have a good night, tomorrow will be 1 week for me , I am happy about that.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Administrator

Biscuits or 'Bickies' here
Cookies is a term on the rise tho - thank you McDonalds...

D
Old 12-03-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are ok BBF. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse!

Day 11, closing out. Went to counseling for my first visit today and I think it was very positive. The therapist was friendly and receptive. She told me my brain is addicted to a binge/recovery cycle that needs resetting. She said this process will take at least 18 months sobriety before there is any freedom from the addiction. Also that I need to replace the addiction with active recovery. So there you go...good to get an objective opinion from a professional.

It's going to be a long haul but at least I found the sense and the courage to recognize its time to break the cycle for good.

Good sober evening everyone...
Old 12-03-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
Glad to hear you are ok BBF. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse!

Day 11, closing out. Went to counseling for my first visit today and I think it was very positive. The therapist was friendly and receptive. She told me my brain is addicted to a binge/recovery cycle that needs resetting. She said this process will take at least 18 months sobriety before there is any freedom from the addiction. Also that I need to replace the addiction with active recovery. So there you go...good to get an objective opinion from a professional.

It's going to be a long haul but at least I found the sense and the courage to recognize its time to break the cycle for good.

Good sober evening everyone...
Good for you! It's a great step!!!
Old 12-03-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

I have now been sober for six complete days! Sleep still a problem, hopefully I will get into a better routine when I get back to work next week.

Before I decided to sober up I had arranged to go out with an old friend this evening. I sent him a message yesterday saying that I wasn't drinking and that I would drive so we were not constrained with what we could do. We ended up in a nearby pub to play pool, I was not concerned about me wanting to drink, I had the car. It was a great evening! I might have drank a bit too much Coca-Cola but no booze for me!

It's great that my friend didn't even ask me why I wasn't drinking but I think he is clever enough to work it out. It always used to be me who wouldn't partake in ANY activity unless it involved alcohol.

Now if only I can sleep....

Goodnight all and thank you all for your support so far.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

I had another difficult day with anxiety. I'm trying to figure out a way that my husband's midlife crisis/depression won't affect me...I still don't know how to handle it. One of the things I did was to say affirmations quietly in my mind while he was going on a 30 minute rant about life...I don't know if affirmations work, but it did help me to stay moderately calm while he was complaining...

The last 3 days were very difficult with all the stress around the house. But I managed without alcohol The best thing that AV came up with was "Too bad we can't sit in the porch and have a glass of wine at the end of the day like we used to." And I replied: "Well I used to drink coffee all day and then sleep just fine, now I can't do that anymore. So what?"

I'm still struggling with my benzo addiction. I haven't had any extra doses but I can't seem to cut down like I was planning to.

Being able to handle these stressful days without alcohol gives me hope though. Even though the anxiety makes me exhausted, I feel a little stronger, I feel proud that I didn't drink. Does it make sense?
Old 12-03-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post

I could not live without such awesomeness. ... similar to cookies I guess... but yet not.... Google mcvities chocolate digestives! Mmmmm
Old 12-03-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Who names their cookies "digestives"? Lol. I will have to order some. Expand my worldview a bit. Thanks for the share enfinthechange

I guess it's not a cookie.... Hmmm I must explore
Old 12-03-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I had another difficult day with anxiety. I'm trying to figure out a way that my husband's midlife crisis/depression won't affect me...I still don't know how to handle it. One of the things I did was to say affirmations quietly in my mind while he was going on a 30 minute rant about life...I don't know if affirmations work, but it did help me to stay moderately calm while he was complaining...

The last 3 days were very difficult with all the stress around the house. But I managed without alcohol The best thing that AV came up with was "Too bad we can't sit in the porch and have a glass of wine at the end of the day like we used to." And I replied: "Well I used to drink coffee all day and then sleep just fine, now I can't do that anymore. So what?"

I'm still struggling with my benzo addiction. I haven't had any extra doses but I can't seem to cut down like I was planning to.

Being able to handle these stressful days without alcohol gives me hope though. Even though the anxiety makes me exhausted, I feel a little stronger, I feel proud that I didn't drink. Does it make sense?
You should be proud Patricia... and it definitely makes sense. It's hard to start feeling again after we've been pushing it away for so long. You are doing great. Positivity is contagious, hopefully as you start feeling better it will begin to rub off on the husband.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Administrator

The digestive part is the wheaty biscuit underneath I guess LOL

D
Old 12-03-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Administrator

It makes sense to me too Patricia - the more things I faced sober the stronger I felt

D
Old 12-03-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hello Class of November! Day 28 and I am glad I have one more day of work! I work Saturday at the department store but I don't really call that work. I am tired once again so it looks like weekends are going to be my real posting time. I LOVE the weekender threads. There's always such excitement on them. Or is it "in" them? I never know whether to say "on" or "in" when I'm hanging out in the forum...or is it "on" the forum.... LOL Never mind me, I told you the real me as a sober is quite a hoot! I'll ponder over the right verbiage as I prepare for bed. Goodnight all!