Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 2

Old 11-20-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Administrator

a big shout out to those having a rough time right now

This is a great link for cravings - http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

I really recommend you keep practicing the urge surfing too - it's skill that needs to be learned so we get a little better at it over time

step back from the urge to drink - what does it feel like? how big is it? what kinds of things make it bigger? fear panic anger? accept that you're feeling those feelings., but also accept you don't need to act on them

what makes it smaller? how long does it take to go away on it own?
picture yourself surfing through it - not becoming part of it but moving through it unscathed - feel it receding in the distance, growing smaller and smaller..feel the relief...

with a clear mind, then you can ask yourself...what other ways could you deal with your feelings or your problems tonight without drinking?

D
Old 11-20-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm hanging in there. Had coffee and some cookies. I'm a school teacher so spent half hour just hanging out with my students. They're so sweet and fun and innocent that it cheered me up. The events starts in like an hour that I'm supposed to attend. It's a wedding celebration for some friends at work and I feel terrible for missing out. But I'm going to just run out. Debating whether to tell truth if I get asked by the groom. He's my close friend and I want to be honest instead of evading. We'll see. Getting my dogs and then going home to read. I'm just going to push it out of my mind bc I know I'll be happy in the morning that I stayed sober. Thanks for support
Old 11-20-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Hang in there everyone! Ugh, just walked past the liquor store next door to where I'm getting a mani/pedi to get a coffee and my AV wanted me to stop to get some booze for the coffee. I got a chocolate donut instead.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Kiki, way to make it through that craving! That is how you build sober muscles

It helps me to remember HALT when the AV gets loud: Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. I can always attribute the craving to at least one of those feelings. Kiki, sounds like you had the "Hungry" feeling.

Stay strong, everyone. Remember why you are here. Think of how you will feel tomorrow if you drink today.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Thank you for the link Dee. I know everyone is different but just to read that your friend's cravings lessened immensely after two weeks helped. I am having craving on top of craving right now....and it's getting close to wine-o-clock on a Friday and well, this really super sucks.

I think I am going to leave work early, go home and cuddle my dog and watch some TV, maybe nap. I am not sure I trust myself to sit here another hour and half and still make the decision to not stop and get that wine after work....UGH...
Old 11-20-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Ok, going to event. Feeling strong. Armed with water bottle and knowing I can duck out if it gets to be too much
Old 11-20-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

......for anyone struggling with Friday night:

I can report in from Saturday morning....a beautiful sunny Saturday morning without a hangover or a drink on the go is a gift. Don't miss out by caving tonite......
Old 11-20-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strangeangel View Post
Kiki, I'm so with you. I'm fighting back tears at work right now. I want to crawl into a hole and die right now. My husband is not supportive bc he's too busy and I'm just a mess. I'm having those same thoughts. And urge is even stronger now bc husbands being s jerk. Seriously thinking of having that drink at happy hour. But I know that won't help. I feel alone and scared and so mad that I can't just be normal
Kiki and Strange. Please hang in there! I was really struggling yesterday and you two helped me, and today is going much better. One day at a time!!!!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Made it through. Stayed for 30 and left. I think I'm gonna make it today. Phew!!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
......for anyone struggling with Friday night:

I can report in from Saturday morning....a beautiful sunny Saturday morning without a hangover or a drink on the go is a gift. Don't miss out by caving tonite......
ThanksCanguy!
Keep strong strange angel !!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Today is 6. Went to the grocery store and found it extremely hard not to buy any wine but I made it. Every time I turned the corner there's alcohol but I breezed by. Now I'm sitting at home watching it snow on my world... plan to have hot cocoa for the kids and hot tea for myself. I'm going to enjoy waking up hangover free tomorrow.

Kiki keep going! Nothing changes if nothing changes. In the end we alone are our strongest advocates.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Great to see everyone putting up a good fight tonight!

Home from a mani/pedi and kicked my AV out by indulging in caffeine and chocolate, it really worked, I have no cravings as a result.

I have noticed that on the days I have caffeine late in the day I truly don't get the urge to drink. This could be the killer of my cravings!

What is everyone else doing to get through the cravings?
Old 11-20-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Well, any fantasy that may have remained where I thought I didn't have a problem with alcohol has officially been blown out of the water. This day officially sucks. Wow. Craving on top of craving on top of craving. My head hurts, my legs ache, my heart is pounding, I feel shaky. I think I will go watch and episode of Days of our Lives...surely someone's life there will be worse than mine.....
Old 11-20-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Hang in there pams.....it will get better if you can stick with it.
Hang around here too.....
Old 11-20-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Checking in again. Well it looks like I'm gonna make it. Just got the kids and their friends carryout food so I didn't have to cook. Day 5 almost complete! Thanks for all you're help! I truly could not have done it alone!

DEE: I am definitely gonna keep practicing urge surfing! I found this YouTube link that helped me today. Thank you!!!
http://youtu.be/__0dNKJV0zo

STRANGEANGEL: I am sooooo happy you made it! Thank God!

HEALTHYGOALS: I literally laughed out loud when you said you settled for a chocolate donut. Not sure why I thought that was so funny. Lol. And you're right...we ARE fighters! For my ongoing major craving today...I stuffed myself with a GIANT lunch after doing some urge surfing and I didn't have another craving after today!

SWIMKIM: I liked your comment about "building my sober muscles!"

PAMS: I had a rough day too!!! I feel like I was in one of 3 states for most of the day. 1. Craving a drink 2. Anxiety & panic 3. Fear of another craving coming soon! Hang in there! Let's up wake up without a hangover tomorrow. I think it was good that you left work early. Days of our Lives sounds like a good choice! Haha

CANGUY & KEEPNITREAL thanks for your continued support!!!

BLACKBIRD: 6 days is great! How are your cravings? Are they getting better at this point?

Hope everyone is staying strong! I feel soooo much stronger than I did earlier!
Old 11-20-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Kiki was tempted at the store but I like the way sober is feeling. :-) shakes are diminished today
Old 11-20-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

at dance class.. Song that teacher choreographed was to "stop being a ********", (pardon French) very appropriate for today. Feeling much better.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Well it looks like we all had a successful Friday! That's so amazing that we have managed to get through the first night of the weekend and all get to wake up fresh Saturday morning with no hangover!!!!! What is everybody up to tomorrow? I'm going to study up on urge surfing. I want to be able to use it. I got pretty lucky today and didn't have ant cravings to speak of, which is way better then yesterday!!!!! It's amazing how things can change in a day isn't it? I know it can swing back the other way tomorrow, but right now I'm just grateful for a pretty easy sober Friday!!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

I saw a new doctor today, a Naturopathic Doctor. She was amazing! So compassionate and understanding. I already took one of the supplements (passion flower) and I was skeptical at first...but after an hour I started to feel so relaxed with no drowsiness, no groggy effects.

I ordered the rest of the supplements, and crossing my fingers that they won't get delayed at the border. And I'm going to go back on the healthy diet wagon starting tomorrow, even if I have to force myself to eat. Now I understand that I actually need all those nutrients to heal my brain and nervous system, so I think it's a good motivation to eat

So all this stuff made me pretty broke (insurance doesn't pay for naturopathic medicine ) But better than spending all that money at the liquor store...

I feel much better right now...I have hope

Have a great sober evening guys!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
Kiki was tempted at the store but I like the way sober is feeling. :-) shakes are diminished today
That's great! I bet the longer we are sober the more we will WANT to stay sober because we will start to realize how miserable & sick we really were when we were drinking that poison!

Let's keep walking! No turning back!!! Stay strong!