Notices

Class of September 2015

Old 09-10-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Really bummed today...back to Day 1. I have homework to do, but no ambition. Gotta get out of this funk.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Hi, Insaneheart: Just a quick note of encouragement. I know how tough it is to feel like you are "starting over," but I think there are lessons every time.

I'm sure it feels tough too that there is homework to do. Any chance it can wait and you can just rest today and recharge?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Wish I could, but I have class today. I have 8 hours of the day to go before I can put it to rest. Then no class for three days, so I can take some time to rest tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Be sure to be good to yourself today, InsaneHeart. Lots of water and, if you have cravings, sugar. (Ice cream is definitely an elixir).

Today is going to be a tough one for me too: my partner is out this evening until late, and that is usually when I like to drink (I'm a solo drinker). Let's promise to check in with one another this evening, okay?

Sending you healing thoughts....
Old 09-10-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InsaneHeart View Post
Wish I could, but I have class today. I have 8 hours of the day to go before I can put it to rest. Then no class for three days, so I can take some time to rest tomorrow.
Xoxo
What are you studying? I had homework before class today too, I wasn't hungover, just up late working- I was almost hungover though , very near,y bought wine.
We can do it
Old 09-10-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

matilda - I am usually a solo drinker too, hubby works nights, so I know how you feel.

Jsbodhi - Healthcare business services - basically everything behind the scenes in medical care. It'd be pretty hypocritical for me to still be a drunk.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Good Morning Everyone. I have a cardiac stress test this morning and am grateful I will not be hungover to do it. LOL. Day 4 here. Wishing all strength and courage through another sober day.
I just want to let you all know that I do not have a heart problem. In fact, the medical staff informed that I was in superb physical condition for my age. (I'll be 66 in a couple of weeks). I was so relieved, I felt like having a beer to celebrate. Geez - crazy thinking or what. LOL
Old 09-10-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

It's crazy how many things "deserve a drink". Celebrating, Being depressed. When you're an alcoholic, everything is a reason to drink.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Day 4 drawing to a close. Hope I'll be looking back on this next year with happy (rather than blurry) memories. Good luck to all. This place is really helping me
Old 09-10-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InsaneHeart View Post
It's crazy how many things "deserve a drink". Celebrating, Being depressed. When you're an alcoholic, everything is a reason to drink.
It is crazy! That is how I ended up back to square one, celebrating after a cancer scare. Man, this alcohol business isn't for sissies.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 12. Went to the gym for the first time in weeks today, felt really good to do some strength training. I could never seem to get to the gym when hung over, so maybe some of the alcohol weight will come off. I was drinking about 1000 calories in booze a day, I am trying not to replace those calories with food.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Just heard a great metaphor at an AA meeting that I thought I'd share here. Topic of the meeting was the power of choice--more specifically how that relates to taking that first drink and attempts to moderate our drinking.

An older gentleman named Arnold who has been sober since 1987 said if he steps in front of a locomotive that has 19 box cars behind it, he doesn't blame the 19 box cars for his injuries. It was the locomotive and his decision to step in front of it. In much the same way, it's that decision to take that first drink that is the real problem, not the two or three or ten drinks that are sure to follow for us alcoholics.

Wishing you all the best today! Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

Checking in: Day 2
Old 09-10-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Joining in after previously being on the July group. August was a disaster, and it's time to rejoin the support network.

Today's Day 3. I have to trust I'll do better this time around.

I look forward to hearing you stories/successes and sharing mine.

KeepingOn
Old 09-10-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
It is crazy! That is how I ended up back to square one, celebrating after a cancer scare. Man, this alcohol business isn't for sissies.
I pissed away three+ months sober last June because "I had a headache" and my AV convinced me that alcohol would help.

Looking back at all of my attempts to quit since then and the toll that alcohol has taken on my body and relationships, I really wish that I didn't listen.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I am going to jump on here ... I am nearing the end of day 2 - I had great intentions and plans for quitting this year which never lasted more than a day or two (although twice I got to two weeks, and had three days, four days a few times). But lately I have really gotten out of control, drinking morning noon night, leaving work in the afternoon to watch the matches (football matches broadcast here at 2:45 in the afternoon due to time difference from England / continent) and then stumbling back into the office and closing my door, probably reeking to high heaven ... then leaving work and stopping for more at the pub, and then buying some tall boys at the station before the ride home ... Can't believe it when I write it out. But I am stopping this now, and here's to our last time quitting.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

I have had one of those days when a bottle of wine would have been how I cope. I took my car to be serviced then get the mot so I can tax it. The garage flew it through the service when the mechanic was driving it to the mot centre someone drove into the back of it 😈
Old 09-10-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Welcome thanos x
Old 09-10-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Hi all - spent almost the whole day in bed with horrid allergies - but still better then in bed with a bottle! Got up, took dog for walk. Just happy to be able to come here.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
My friend who is very clever and who has very good taste suggested 'american horror story' and ' true detective' so I'm going to download
I love American Horror Story. I'm waiting for Freakshow to come out on Netflix. Creepy but I love creepy. I've heard True Detective is good too but haven't watched it. I think that's HBO...not sure that will stream on Netflix but I haven't checked.