Notices

Class of August 2015 Part 4

Old 08-27-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
I'll take a million nights of "blah" over the sh&tstorm I created on Monday night's binge. No thanks, not again.
I couldn't agree more Kittycat...
Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
Joining your class 8/27/2015
Great to see you nmd. I'm on day (2). I was actually thinking about joining the September class as SoberJimmy questioned because he was day (4) and now (5). So, I might do that because I'm a head-case. I've gone in stretches of 60 to 80 days with good runs in between for the past 4 years. It just seems to work for me when starting at the beginning of a month, instead of at the end. I do better surrounded by those that have the same sobriety timeframe.

But thanks for taking me in Class to get me started. And btw, I was like a Ping-Pong yesterday. I'm done, no I'm not, yes I am, not today, yes today.....I bounced my way through the day.

But again, great to see you back nmd.....
Old 08-27-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hope Everyone Is Well

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in. I am on day 11 and wanted to pose a question about sleep. It has been a big problem for me to stay asleep for any decent period of time - i.e. I get to sleep at midnight and wake up at one thirty, then toss and turn the rest of the night. Can anyone share at what point their sleeping improved and they woke up refreshed? I wake up with a hangover feeling from lack of sleep, but it beats the feeling from alcohol. All the best and let's all hang in there. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey neverthought and NMD, stay with us. No need to have one more day 1 ever again. Believe me, September 1 is going to feel like every other day, and your brain will trick you into another reason to delay.
I wish more than ever I hadn't made the mistake I had on Monday night (my latest bender.) Even tho I have lots of sober days behind me, it will take me a while to get past that one physically and mentally / spiritually. So hop on the wagon with us and jump start your sober September!

Middle of day 3 today. Got chipotle for lunch, not the healthiest but it feels good to have a full belly. My meals over the last 3 days have been pretty sparse, first because I was too ill to eat, and then because I was too depressed to have much of an appetite. Ugh I remember Monday laying in bed, wanting to eat but too hungover to keep anything down. Ugh.! Never ever EVER again!!!

Anyone else also quitting cigs? Or other stuff? I am. It is not normally advised to quit both, and I know the alcohol is way more harmful in short term, but I'm ready to be done with both. Quitting smoking will also help me make healthy choices in choosing to exercise, eat better, etc. it's a lifestyle change....
Old 08-27-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Im aboard the wagon on day one. after reading all of your posts for August . I want to jump start September rather than wait . Had a horrible time of it last night with shaking and sweats etc but slowly coming round from that . Main thing I feel is a deep sense of fear and dread . had little picks and pecks at food but too down yet to try a bigger meal . Luckily im on the e-cigs so no stopping that for now .
I have various spells of sobriety ,as long as 2 years so I do have some experience of feeling like crap then wellness the back out etc for but here goes again and it doesn't get easier the older we get .
Old 08-27-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Welcome newcomers. Im on day 3, so please stay very early days people. Thank you class for your kind words after my awful day Tuesday. I think the kindling effect.is real, ugh! I did go see pdoc yesterday who has advised a few weeks off work and meds, I need time off for this, I have realized my relapses are beginning of work week usually but worried about a diagnosis of alcoholism on my health record? Hmmm.

We are all going through ups and downs here, just hanging on to vets advise it gets better. Hope your lil guy is better today JL!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Day 1. I'll post more a little later.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me. I've done some stretches, once 5+ months, but always end up letting the AV back in. I always start out in control and next thing I know I'm drinking daily, and obsessing about what and how much I will drink later. I need to remind myself not only of the health and financial consequences of that lifestyle, but also of the things I often skip out of to stay at home and "relax with my AV". Fall is my favorite season so I'm hoping the weather will help keep my spirits up and my resolve strong. Have a great sober day everyone.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Hey neverthought and NMD, stay with us. No need to have one more day 1 ever again. Believe me, September 1 is going to feel like every other day, and your brain will trick you into another reason to delay.
^^^^^^ This. A million times this. ^^^^^^^

There is no better day than today, no better minute than right now, to make a decision to change your life for the better by removing drinking from it.

There is nothing magical about quitting drinking on the first day of a month or week or year that makes you more likely to stay sober then than now.

I used to pull this stunt all the time--"I'm going to quit on the first of next month" or "Starting on Monday, it's a new week and a new me" or "My New Year's resolution is to never drink again." This was just my addiction talking me into drinking "one more" day. There was always a reason to stop in the future.

My sobriety date is Friday, May 8, 2015. A random day that I fully didn't expect to be my last "day one" ever, but I truly believe and know more and more every day that I never have to take that first drink again no matter what. And as long as I don't take the first, I don't have to worry about the second or third or tenth drink that would almost always follow.

That being said, there's no rule here about not belonging to more than one class at a time. I post actively and consider myself a member of the May 2015, July 2013, and the One Year and Under classes, and I also am very active in the June 2015 thread. So by all means, join this class AND the September class. There's no such thing as too much support in your recovery from addiction.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Yes Kitty I'm on day 235 for cigarettes, day 25 for alcohol. This is a big year for me. They are both really hard addictions. I don't crave a cig at all anymore and every time I see somebody smoking I smile inside. It feels so good. I don't see why both at the same time is not possible, but I can say it must be way more difficult and a shock to your mental and physical lifestyle. I chose to do one at a time myself but I wish you the best! Keep up the good work one day at a time.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks August gang. That all just made too much sense.

I wasn't planning on drinking at all between now and September, but you're all right. What difference does that make. Just don't take that drink.....

Thanks for the support!
Old 08-27-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Really worried about my job. I work 2 but the full time one is the worry. I had to call in and take my youngest to the dr. Posted before about that. Most places I've worked threaten to fire you for being out and this one is no different. This past yr has been a real rollercoaster, but I've drank a fraction of what I was drinking day to day.
The next hour will tell the tale, but employees quit yesterday while I was out and today is just ultra weird at work. I've been here 9 months and am over the probationary period, but this is a "right to work" state, and they just run people off from every non union job around.
My wife called in Monday to her work so I was next in line for family medical emergency-call in. She makes a third more per hr than I do, so her job is far more valuable. If I'm done, I'm done, and have no qualms about telling a job bye, over my kids, but I'm sure that there's been at least one day that I called in because if going to the Dr for withdrawal symptoms or something.
Drinking constantly has costed me jobs in the past, although not directly.
Just fretting and sweating the next hour, something terrible.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Ugh i want a drink so bad tonight
Old 08-27-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wishing everyone a nice relaxing thursday evening
Old 08-27-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Do your best

Elizke try this

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 08-27-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Try and think why you want a drink elizke, think about how you will feel in the morning. Go somewhere quiet, close your eyes and remember your last drinkathon and how you felt when you decided to stop drinking. Don't drink today x
Old 08-27-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Re-Member

elizke -- Think that drink thru to the bitter end. "Play the tape" as some people say here. What happens after one drink? The second drink. What happens after the second drink? The third. What happens after that? Fill in the blanks from your own experience here. I'm sure it doesn't lead anywhere good or you wouldn't be a member of these forums.

You don't have to take that first drink no matter what. The craving/thought/urge will subside with a little time, and the cravings do lessen and even disappear the more sober time we rack up. I promise.

Post in here once a minute if you have to. Let all of us help you. Are you hungry? Eat something. Are you thirsty? (For something besides alcohol, obviously.) Drink something. Are you tired? Take a nap. Take a shower. Take a long walk. Read a book. Sit on your hands. Go to an AA or other recovery meeting. Watch some bad, mindless television. Just don't take that first drink no matter what.

You're in my thoughts and prayers...
Old 08-27-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Checking in , day 11 . Went to museums on my own like an idiot But at least kept myself busy lol
Old 08-27-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hello, funny how just seeing someone you used to drink with is a trigger. Even if you both are totally sober. At least she didn't bring me booze this time. Sober thoughts... sober thoughts.... sober thoughts....

Got the house picked up. Now just going to relax on the couch.... and stay sober.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Worst night yet. Only thing holding me together, is me knowing I gotta wake up early tomorrow.

Who would have known how powerless one can feel over this ****.