Notices

Class of August 2015 Part 4

Old 08-31-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Thank you too...this site is awesome!
Old 08-31-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Morning class!

Day 6 and busy getting my daughter ready for her first day of kindergarten. She has afternoon kindergarten so won't catch the bus until noon - just hoping she gets on without a lot of tears (mostly from me ). So glad I will be clearheaded and present for this milestone. Will post more later. Have a great day all!
Old 08-31-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Good morning! I am running late for work, can't believe I overslept and am not even drinking. Must be the pain meds.

Doing pretty well here on day 5. The days are piling up and I'm not too worried about alcohol this time around because I know that if I touch alcohol right now it will be poison to me. So there, that's settled. Did have some cravings yesterday but just did my best to ignore them.

I am working two days this week and then taking vacation. I need it desperately after all the crap I've been through lately. What am I going to do with my time off? Sleep.

Enjoy your day everyone, and don't drink.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

JL... Last week I had almost same sitch, woke up after blackout and have really never felt so self hating and completely over the edge mentally as I did for about 3 days. It's now a week later and I feel different... No cravings and the idea that alcohol can calm me or make me feel good for even a minute has shattered. It's a lie, it will kill us. I wish you peace and sending much love while you detox. We are here for you.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Sadie 1 , well said " the idea that alcohol can calm me or make me feel good for even a minute has shattered. It's a lie, it will kill us[/I]

day 5 for me

Bless
Old 08-31-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Yes JL, me too, been there, just last week. Don't beat yourself too much other than to allow this to be your wake up call that you need to be sober. You can do this just like we are all doing. It may be hard and not without some bumps but you deserve a sober life.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Hi Gang. I haven't posted in a while but I've been here everyday. Since this is the last day of August I thought I would rehash some of my experiences so far.

Since my first day I haven't been bothered by my AV. Those who remember my posts on that day know what a terrible, terrible time I had.

That first day I couldn't do anything but pace the floor (stagger actually, bouncing off walls) and drink water. For 23 hours!!! Several times during that day I almost caved and went and got a six pack just so I would feel better. Thank goodness I didn't because we all know where that would have led to.

The next few days got even worse. I started seeing things that weren't there and hearing sounds that didn't exist. Inanimate objects moved. Not flying across the room but just slightly back and forth. The first 72 hours I only slept 8.

In retrospect I think I really was close to death!!!

I stuck with SR everyday and I'm extremely thankful to you all for your support. You've gotten me through those bad days and now at day 27 I feel great. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I know I've still got a long way to go. I can't get complacent. The alcohol demon is in me and I have to be vigilant for the rest of my life.

It's my honest belief that if I ever give in to alcohol again I won't survive the next withdrawal without hospitalization.

Thanks again to all you good people on SR.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Hi beerbgone. I always see you liking posts, but never see you post yourself, so welcome back in that sense. Hope you continue to post more.

Sorry to hear you had such horrible withdrawals and a bad detox.

Don't answer if you don't want to, but if you don't mind me asking, did you have any prescription drugs in your body while you were going through detox? Benzos, SSRIs, anything? Only reason I'm asking, and I could be totally mistaken, is that after reading so many stories on SR, it seems that the people with the worst withdrawals are those on meds as well as detoxing from alcohol.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
JL... Last week I had almost same sitch, woke up after blackout and have really never felt so self hating and completely over the edge mentally as I did for about 3 days. It's now a week later and I feel different... No cravings and the idea that alcohol can calm me or make me feel good for even a minute has shattered. It's a lie, it will kill us. I wish you peace and sending much love while you detox. We are here for you.
Well put!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

I think alcohol keeps me so fragmented mentally, like I'll think of something productive or have a good idea then poof. Can't remember it. I hate that.
I really need to write stuff down
Old 08-31-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

I have the same thing JL. 10,000 thoughts running through my mind every minute, some good, some bad, but doesn't matter, because I can't remember any of them. Hmm....
Old 08-31-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hoping everyone is having a nice start to the week
Old 08-31-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Hey class. If I don't drink today (and I won't) I will have 30 days. The weird dreams are gone, the headaches are (mostly) gone, and my self-respect is back.

Thanks everyone in the class, and everyone who stopped by with support. Thanks to the chairs of the Tuesday and Friday chat meetings, and everyone who shared in those meetings. Thanks SR for motivating me to finally admit I needed to stop and stay stopped.

See you all in the new forum when we move, and hope to see some of you at the meetings if you're not already there.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
I think alcohol keeps me so fragmented mentally, like I'll think of something productive or have a good idea then poof. Can't remember it. I hate that.
I really need to write stuff down
Stay strong JL. I've been where you are, and I know how much it sucks. But your attitude will improve in a few days.

If you aren't aware of this book, I recommend Kick the Drink . . . Easily, by Jason Vale. It explains how almost all our ideas about alcohol are illusions and misconceptions. It has really help change my attitude about drinking, to the point that right now, I have little to no desire to drink.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Welcome to 8/31/2015 everyone. And congratulations to everyone who is sober today.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Bad news ?? Did I fail ?? ..... Had NON alcoholic beer while out and about with a friend . Feel guilty about it but I should I feel guilty or should I let it go, it was Bavaria 0.0% . So did I fail here ? Have any of you fooled yourselves like this ?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
Don't answer if you don't want to, but if you don't mind me asking, did you have any prescription drugs in your body while you were going through detox?
Heart meds. None of the stuff you mentioned.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Originally Posted by Gjess View Post
Bad news ?? Did I fail ?? ..... Had NON alcoholic beer while out and about with a friend . Feel guilty about it but I should I feel guilty or should I let it go, it was Bavaria 0.0% . So did I fail here ? Have any of you fooled yourselves like this ?
I don't think this is considered a fail, but might be dangerous in early days.

Personally I don't like the taste of beer enough to drink non-alcoholic beer. I only drank beer to get drunk. There are many other non-alcoholic beverages I like much more.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

I personally love the taste of beer , if I drank beer it's because it's delicious to me lol but I was a wine drinker mostly .
Old 08-31-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'm checking in quick before work. It's the last day of August! August 1 was my first sober day, and I'm happy that I'm here on the last day, too. Look forward to continuing to connect with all of you awesome people as time goes on.

I've considered looking for a non-alcoholic beer for a second, and I'm not leaving out the possibility if I'm REALLY craving the TASTE and ONLY THE TASTE of beer, but I've played the tape and not wanted it. When I could no longer have even a shred of gluten, I tried gluten free beer and it was GROSS. (I was a beer snob). (and this was while I was still drinking, to be clear, lol) I doubt very much there is a gluten free non-alcoholic beer out there (HAHAHAHAHA) so it's probably off the table anyway, but really, the sparkling water is fine. But I don't think it's a fail. Only you know. I'd say that it could be a slippery slope depending on where you are at and how you feel, so be careful. I had a kombucha last week. It has 0.005% alcohol in it. I did not consider that a drink. I did not nor have I ever drank kombucha for the minuscule alcohol content it happens to have because it contains a small amount of a fermented product. It does not get me or anyone buzzed, and it is not an alcoholic drink. We are all different though.

xo-B