Notices

Class of August 2015 Pt 2

Old 08-10-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Hello everyone.

I have been reading this forum for some time, but I wanted to be sober for a week before I posted anything.

I stopped drinking on August 2nd, so I guess that puts me in the class of August 2015. I was a little afraid to stop, because I have read about some nasty withdrawal symptoms, but so far I've only had a few very strange dreams the first couple of nights and some headaches. I know I'm not out of the woods, but it was time to stop. I had stopped for a few months at a time several times before this, but this time I know I need to make it permanent.

I may not post much, but I will be reading, and I know where to come if I need support. Thanks for being here.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad to have you with us.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Hi to everyone and the new people just joining. I just joined a couple days ago. I'm on day three, and managed to make it through the weekend despite temptation.

My daughter had her 6th bday party and that was easier than I thought since no one else was drinking hard. I also spent a lot of time with my kiddos in the pool instead of out of the pool with a drink in my hand. A much better use of my time.

One thing I noticed while not drinking is how little others drink compared to me. I found myself noticing others having one beer, or one glass of wine, and at the end of the party there were a few half bottles of wine left and two six packs -- one with 5 left and one with 4 left(!!).

I found myself thinking "well, this is different, if I were drinking today, most of those would be gone by now and any remaining would be taken care of tonight." It was such a reinforcing moment of how different I drink than everyone else at the party. I also felt embarassed by my prior drinking habits -- at least this bday party Dad was present and engaged!!
Old 08-10-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Hello, just checking in, welcome to the newer folks. Everyday, something seems to remind me I no longer drink, in the way of irritating me. I did make an appointment with an outpatient treatment center. I don't know much about it, but I'll go and talk to them at least.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RustyBanjo View Post

One thing I noticed while not drinking is how little others drink compared to me. I found myself noticing others having one beer, or one glass of wine, and at the end of the party there were a few half bottles of wine left and two six packs -- one with 5 left and one with 4 left(!!).

I found myself thinking "well, this is different, if I were drinking today, most of those would be gone by now and any remaining would be taken care of tonight." It was such a reinforcing moment of how different I drink than everyone else at the party. I also felt embarassed by my prior drinking habits -- at least this bday party Dad was present and engaged!!
Hi Banjo and congrats on 3 days!
It is "sobering" to realize how abnormal our drinking was. I also have noticed alcohol on people's breath for the first time which is horrifying considering how covert I thought my drinking was.
Glad you had such a positive party with your kid.
Jonathan
Old 08-10-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
Hi all, day 10 and seem to have finally gotten past the withdrawal symptoms, apart from very light broken sleep and mad mad dreams . Feeling good overall though and so happy to have made it through hell week, first week is just awful. Glad to see so much positivity and focus in this class.
Peace X
Awesome -- congrats on 10d. So those drams and whatnot last for a while? I've been having crazy dreams the last few nights. I also find my stomach and system turning over and doing weird things. Blech.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Hi all, care if I join this group? I just posted a thread in the newcomers group for first time on here last night. (Jump over if you care to read my story). Yesterday was the first full day not drinking in longer than I remember. I'm on day 2. I'm so committed. I too, have come to the point where there is no joy in it. I just don't know exactly how I'll cope with each and every past trigger and all the events/ social life, etc thing… Oh well. I'm committed and determined. Thanks to all of you for being here. It really helps.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I have noticed the same thing: how much "Light" drinkers actually drink....makes me wonder why they drink at all....oh, that's right, they don't have a problem like we do.....

Originally Posted by RustyBanjo View Post
Hi to everyone and the new people just joining. I just joined a couple days ago. I'm on day three, and managed to make it through the weekend despite temptation.

My daughter had her 6th bday party and that was easier than I thought since no one else was drinking hard. I also spent a lot of time with my kiddos in the pool instead of out of the pool with a drink in my hand. A much better use of my time.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Really encouraging posts, everyone. I'm on day 6 and feeling pretty good. I guess I'm lucky in that my withdrawal symptoms have been minor, just some annoying stomach/chest feelings (which I think are just alcohol cravings) and insomnia. I'm working through it and am so grateful for each day I don't drink.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

I got lucky I only had the shakes day 1 and pretty sure the bit sweaty will pass soon. Vivid dreams probably have a good few more days to go.

I want to keep remembering that sweaty clammy feeling because it is handy proof to AV that the situation was bad enough for there to be some physical withdrawal even if only mild. It is good to have some physical and indisputable evidence that my relationship with alcohol was unhealthy. Harder to trick yourself than just the mental impact.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

I had horrible nightmares last night- not normal, but I drank for 2-3 days, not buckets, but regularly. Don't know how tonight will be. I'm sore from being sick w ear infections. Working out helped some, but nothing feels good right now.
I did it to myself, so oh well
Old 08-10-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Rusty, Denial, vanaprastha and SwimKim

D
Old 08-10-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Wow. Here I was feeling all poo poo, whoa is me,
I decided to (for some reason) , to ask a few ppl if I could pray for them for stuff, problems, whatever. First off, I feel stupid for being down on myself, because there's lots of people hurting something terrible. I don't know I'm helping anyone or not, but if it help folks , it helps me , and maybe it'll help me lay down this addiction I have going on. I don't know.
Up and the rollercoaster !
Old 08-10-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

I need to go chop some wood, or punch a punching bag, or something. Sorry for this, but I've had a frustrating day. Everyone I've dealt with has frustrated me. Trying to remind myself this has to do with no alcohol as much as anything. Ok, deep breaths, ride this out, Rio..,
Old 08-10-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

I am having a horrible day and am doing everything to stop myself from drinking the pain away. Yes, I know it won't help in the long run. I have been taking classes in addiction and my 11 found and read my whole folder. It is full of personal references to drinking and how it has impacted me, info about alcoholism, cravings, my goals, journal, everything. I feel exposed, violated and like he will never think of me the same again. I don't feel strong enough and all my kids do is bring me stress and guilt and exhaustion and I will never be good enough or have their respect. I don't know what to say and live in a state of misery anyway. I also can't stand my husband right now and just told him. He has told my children I have a drinking problem. I took action and feel anger at him. He also said I ruined everything. 3 weeks and I am miserable and hate everything and my mental state is torn apart.
Lilly
Old 08-10-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Really sorry Lilly!
Hang in there and come vent whenever necessary.
Jonathan
Old 08-10-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Lilly,

Stay sober. It's the best thing you can do right now. I heard one guy at a meeting say how he tells his kids everything. Basically, he said since they've seen me bombed so much of my life why not. I'm up front with them and he believes it's made his connection to his children stronger.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Hi Lilly,
I'm sorry you are feeling so down. I think I can relate to how you are feeling. I am a mom of 3 and my kids have seen it all. I have felt the regret, the guilt, the stress, the anger, the overwhelmed feeling of juggling a full time job and a family......it goes on and on. I thought I deserved a drink. After all, I work so hard. ..right???Unfortunately I can't just have 1drink because that turns to ten and all he'll breaks loose. We all know the story.
Your kids love you unconditionally....stay strong, stay sober .
My kids have told me that they don't care what it takes, they just want me to be well and not be drunk. They know right away when I have drank and they get angry and upset.
They will respect you because they want you to be okay...I am thinking of you....
Old 08-10-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for everyone having a rough day

if it helps, you're all absolutely on the right road - it will get better, and it will get easier.

D
Old 08-10-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone, I thought I would post so I can try to be accountable to someone. I am a chronic relapser, actually I don't think it's really a relapse if it's just been days or a few weeks. I am on day 7 today & had plans to attend a Women for Sobriety mtg tonight, but due to frustration at work, decided to sabotage myself & just go home to feel sorry for myself. I did not stop for alcohol thou, which is a good thing!