http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2015-a-21.html

D
Old 08-08-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Woot woot, go August!
Old 08-08-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Goodnight everybody. Gonna' lay down and watch tv. Probably will fall asleep. I'm
yawning. LOL. What a difference from 4 days ago!!!
Old 08-08-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here's to another 24!
Old 08-08-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi all
Went to a different time of my new AA meeting today, 11:30 rather than 6:30 am.
I overslept.
I felt some apprehension that I would be meeting new people and I still don't know the ropes on my first group. Walked in and found that my closest neighbor in my rural area was the chair! I've known him and his family for some time and had no idea. It was not awkward in the slightest and I am wrapping up the day feeling a bit less certain of what I know/don't know about my fellow humans and finding comfort therein. For me, the meetings are becoming very important and it comes as a huge surprise.
A strong Sunday to each of you
Jonathan
Old 08-08-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I have been really melancholy and haven't been posting, nor had the time to read much. I'm sorry. But I wanted to get on here to document that tomorrow I will be one full week sober again, and I got through a wedding tonight without drinking. I was surprised at myself, pleasantly. I almost think I would have had more fun if I had been able to drink, but who knows if that's true. At least I danced and had fun with family. I got waters for the drunk people, too, which made me feel good.

I hope you are all doing well. I will be reading over everything to catch up.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm really glad to be back here. Its really refreshing and it all jusr feels like everything is really going to be ok when I log on. Yesterday before I drank I was extremely depressed; not sure what I was going to do with my life and had absolutely no idea. It was the scariest feeling. But thanks to SR I know now!

I mentioned in a post about writing notes to myself; little reminders that I don't gave to drink today, remember HALT... Etc. and posting them in visible areas around the house but I became blind to them. So another trick I'm going to try is writing messages on my phones alarm clock. I can time them to come all day long as often as I'd like. The thing about me is that I don't crave alcohol everyday, but the cravings hit really hard when they arrive and I pretty much forget that I can't drink and I should not drink so these reminders are really crucial. Thanks class... I'm looking forward to hanging out!
Old 08-08-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sadie: good luck with opening up to your therapist. I hope you find comfort in it. I've often had trouble opening up to my therapist as well. It's like even in therapy people don't want to be judged or seen as totally out of control.

Went to dinner with family tonight and everyone drank except for me. I was feeling super proud and then I stopped at the store on my way home. The beer section about brought me to my knees. So far so good, but the doubt is still hanging around.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

MerryRecluse--- Don't give in! You'll be so proud tomorrow.

We all struggle, we all suffer but we can be strong together.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is definitely going to take some getting used to. My mind is all over the place, it's been kind of a hectic day here.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi all! Having an easy evening for a change. It's about time. Had some friends over this afternoon for some swim time. They brought a bottle of wine which the three of them shared, and then drank lemonade with me for the rest of the day; wasn't that nice? Even my husband is still steering clear of the beer right now.

One thing I have noticed that is different for me this time around is that, even though I have my share of cravings, I don't really want a drink. I know that sounds odd, but in the past I would have obsessed over drinking all the time, and this time I feel like putting a drink to my lips would just be a huge disappointment to me. I don't feel like there's any joy left in it, and I know that the positve things happening to me health-wise are worth holding on to.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Retread1959 View Post

One thing I have noticed that is different for me this time around is that, even though I have my share of cravings, I don't really want a drink. I know that sounds odd, but in the past I would have obsessed over drinking all the time, and this time I feel like putting a drink to my lips would just be a huge disappointment to me. I don't feel like there's any joy left in it, and I know that the positve things happening to me health-wise are worth holding on to.
Hi Retread
I gotta where you are regarding the "no joy in it" several weeks in during June. Strangely I drank soon after feeling that feeling to test my hypothesis... It turned out to be a joyless but familiar feeling and lasted a couple days . I rallied and then repeated the experiment in late July.
Why do we forget? There is truly no joy in it!
Keep that feeling, hang on to it and move past the struggle. I'm back at it but really and really don't want to test myself that way again but it takes resolve that I really hope I have.
Thanks for your post.
Jonathan
Old 08-08-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry for the typos.... In bed and on a small phone. No drinking involved ��
Old 08-08-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Morning class

It's lovely waking up and reading all your post and know I'm not going through this alone.

I enjoyed such a nice day yesterday with the children, it was nice for me not to be rushed waited to pour my first drink, I even took them to the cinema last night

I set my alarm to wake before the house this morning and I have already peeled the potatoes and have the meat in the oven - this is a big thing for me, I never cook Sunday lunch (always to sick and hung over) and on my last binge my family lived on sandwiches and takeaways for two weeks.

I'll check in throughout the day and see how everyone is getting on.

Take Care All xXx
Old 08-09-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 3

Morning All, this is my 3rd day sober, went to a family party yesterday and it was so tough not to revert to old habits. Felt very quiet and withdrawn. Felt angry as well. I didn't drink just lots of coffee and water. Head feels so messed up today though. Its almost like I don't know where I start and the booze stops, such a part of who I was.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a nice relaxing sunday everyone congrats to all on personal milestones
Old 08-09-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I haven't been around for a few days, but wanted to stop and say hello and check out some of what people are saying. I'm doing pretty well. Work is hectic but I'm consciously simplifying everything that I can, even in just little ways. One of my coworkers tried to lambaste me the other day in front of the boss for example, and I took a second to breathe, and kept my cool. I knew I had done nothing wrong, moreover, everything right. Didn't take the bait. That was the kind of thing that would send me to the bar. It was, in fact, the kind of thing that sent me to the bar the last time I drank, on July 31, a night which I ended up remembering in brief flashes, with holes like Swiss cheese.

I don't want things to be so difficult anymore, and it seems that it doesn't have to be. On its surface, these things aren't the booze; I'm not drunk at work, not drunk when something makes me angry, it has nothing to do with drinking at all. But I sense that drinking has everything to do with how I perceive it. I want to run away so bad and booze does that, so I take these minor things I have absolutely no control over, and label them as a reason to drink.

First, it's not a reason to drink. The reason I dri (a) nk is to escape. Probably many other things too, that I don't know how to say yet.

Second, they really don't matter. My coworker is a jerk. I already knew that. So what? There are jerks everywhere. It's none of my business if he wants to show everyone, including the boss, that he's a jerk.

All of these stories I've been telling myself... they're all based on false pretense.

So anyway, I'd had this thread going about "what am I going to do differently" because the first few days, while I was getting these things, I was kind of edgy and sensitive and thinking "I DON'T KNOW!!!" but what I'm doing is this:

1) not drinking
2) setting boundaries
3) checking myself when I start to overthink (like the scenario I described above)
4) coming to this website even if I don't say a lot
5) checking myself when I start to worry (see #3)
6) keeping a running list of things I see that I am grateful for (tonight the sunset was gorgeous)

I read an entire book almost without pausing today. Sarah Hepola's "Blackout: Remembering the things I Drank To Forget". It really resonated with me. Has anyone here read it?

Hope you are all well.

xo -B
Old 08-09-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

Bexxed, I have not read that book but it sounds like my life! I may want yo get it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Merry recluse and white turtle and I graham...glad to see you posting and happy to see you survived your social events. That's initially hard to do..great!!!
Welcome back soberella, glad you are here!!!
Another beautiful, sunny day here on Long Island. My grass is dry and dead but I'm sober and I'll take it! Maybe off to the beach???
Enjoy the day . Fight off that AV and stay strong and sober xo
Old 08-09-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 6

Good morning gang. Another great nights sleep last night. I'm sittin' here sippin' coffee feeling pretty good.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Welcome Soberella and others! Bexxed, that is a great list. MerryRecluse, don't give in! I'm not even going near the wine part of the store right now! I have such a busy day and am feeling completely overwhelmed. Last year I was drinking for most of the activities I have for today but not going to do it!!!! No way. I will stay strong and know its ruff in the beginning but emotions will even out!!
Lilly