Old 08-09-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope feel better soon Venus
I am fine

D
Old 08-09-2015, 01:38 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

I feel much better. Just a sore throat now.
Glad you are fine Dee.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Glad you are both feeling better Venus and Dee.

Been up since 5:30, but puppy stayed dry. Then, a puddle after breakfast, lol. I knew he needed to go, but he sometimes forgets which door in his urgency. As I rush up to grab his leash to guide him, I suspect he gets nervous and runs away, searching for the next door. So, he knows, just not yet familiar enough to get it right consistently. I do think he is learning on the biting too, at least with me.

I feel a bit sad, though. My son seems depressed about the new puppy. The nipping scares him, so he interacts very little, and in weird ways that encourage the dog to chase or nip. He just is not comfortable in his own home right now. I hope he grows to be happy about it once Hux gets a bit more settled and matures. If needed, I will get a trainer in for some personal help with son. I have a recommendation from a friend who has a wonderful and sweet dog who started out nipping and chasing her twin daughters.

The weather has been glorious here this weekend. Nice for simply being out in the yard, taking walks, etc...

Daughter begins driver education tomorrow! One week intensive class. Yikes. Both kids need to go to the same place at 8am all week. Son has basketball camp. At least I will be up and ready by that time.

Hope everyone has/had a good Sunday. Hope your walking went ok, V.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure your son will grow more comfortable with the dog Phoebe - and vice versa

D
Old 08-09-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Yes, Dee. He needs to learn some flexibility, too. He can get negative, and pessimistic, and there are good life lessons in all of this. Funny, I was not a nervous mother. Well, I had my moments, but really, never doubted my ability to care for children properly. I think it is funny that the dog thing seems more challenging to me.

Okay, was back to add some cute puppy pictures. Finally got them onto photobucket.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Those are great pics phoebe! Dogs can be so expressive.

Hux may be a bit young yet to be still for a good brushing, but as he settles down, that may be a good way for your son to bond with him. I would sit and brush my collie for long stretches of time....but of course collies need regular brushing.

I agree about letting our kids work through things sometimes for the life-lessons learned. In retrospect I think I over did it sometimes by fixing ,if I could, every little problem they encountered. It's fairly easy to do that when they're little, but may leave them more ill prepared later on when daddy (or mama) can't fix everything.

I don't like to be this late starting my day, but that nine hous of sleep did the trick.

Great to have you pop in mystified and to see you back again Dee.

I don't know much about cars either V. Glad your next couple days work will be easier.

Gym time.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Yes, sorry for your car troubles, V. I feel very helpless with such things. I hope it's fine.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

It will be phoebe...it's getting fixed and serviced.

Hux is gorgeous...and I'm sure that your son will learn to love him once they grow into each other a little more. I know it's not easy right now, but you are doing a great job love!

CANNOT believe you slept in Mark...wow...

Have a great Sunday guys...onto Monday for me...nite.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Good morning, Octsobers.

You guys are fabulous.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Glad your feeling better V!!! Strep throat is no joke. I used to get that all the time when I was a kid. Wasn't until I had my tonsils and adenoids out that things got better.

Careful with that car. I guess it doesn't get cold enough out there. Anti-freeze is used usually instead of water. Also helps regulate temperature better instead of water.

One meeting a week is all I can handle at the moment. And that was a big stretch for me. I consider it a major accomplishment. Never thought I'd be in those rooms. Was always a last resort for me.

Another beautiful day here. Not much on the agenda. One of my wife's friends may stop by in a bit to see the baby for the first time. That's about it. I should get out there and cut some grass I guess!
Old 08-09-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Hmm....so apart from the corrosion thing, the coolant keeps the car running cooler? Makes sense...I don't have enough in there right now and it does seem to be running a little warmer...hmm...you have no idea how many mechanics I have asked about this...dang hard to get a straight answer. They can fix it on Wednesday. It will cost enough, so they can put the right amount of coolant in. And I will check it regularly after that.

Enjoy your day Arbor...and of course I understand that one meeting is all you can fit in right now. And you have us the other 6 days.

We are fabulous Leigh, and you are on of us!
Old 08-09-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Yeah it's important to have a 50/50 mix whether in a hot or cold environment. Your getting it dealt with Wednesday, so good!
Old 08-09-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

My dad must be wanting to kick me from the other side about now...how could the daughter of a car guy be so dumb about cars? OK...I am learning. Better late than never I guess.

Not-so-little V is waiting...time for us to go cuddle in the bed. Nite, again.

I love you guys!!! ♥♥♥
Old 08-09-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Those puppy eyes are too cute! Phoebe, Your stories brought back memories of rushing my lab-mix puppy outside as he was mid-stream. Lol What a mess! But it does get better and is so very worth it. My big boy, now 14 years old with a grey muzzle, has been by my side through it all. Hux will learn. Hang in there!

Mark and Arbor's father stories are hitting home as well... My father is an amazingly loving, respectful, successful, brilliant man. He's my mentor, my confidant, my favorite date, and my best friend. It hurts me to see him struggle at 65. And I struggle with guilt, feeling like I condoned drinking by doing it so openly around him for so long. Without talking directly about my changes, he has noticed and even wrote me a sweet card saying that he was proud of me. (I quit during a time of family crisis last October because I knew they needed me to be a support.) I'm hoping that my brother's success and my success will in some small way encourage him to continue trying. I just want him to be truly happy and stay healthy. I'm sure that's what he thinks when he looks at me, too.

And atta boy, Mark! My dad had a look that'd he give any boys that came by the house growing up...eyebrows down with a slight smirk. They knew he knew, ya know? Lol

Yesterday's garage sale in 103 heat did me in. I was in bed by 8, totally skipped a get together with friends. And that probably saved me because a cold one sounded like a great idea to the AV. I had too much lasagna and garlic bread instead. And I woke up at 5 am ready to tackle the world again. WIN! Sober mornings never get old.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Hey gang,

I didn't know you had a dog Conquest. Is he making it pretty good for an older dog? Also, I didn't know your dad struggled a bit with drinking. Both my maternal grandparents drank. My paternal grandmother did not (never knew my dad's dad). It's funny though that alcohol was never openly served at family gatherings as I grew up but I was aware that several of the grownups had glasses stashed in various corners. When I was in college and home for holidays etc., I always visited my mom's folks and we'd sit there and catch up on things over vodka and grapefruit juice mix. My last grandparent and my dad passed in 2009 and with that any cocktail hour type drinking ended. My mom took over hosting of family stuff and they don't serve drinks or drink much at all.

Arbor, I think a meeting or so a week is great. I'm not saying more would be bad, it's just that I get the demands of a family, especially a young family like yours. That's why years ago I started the early morning workout thing...that way I remain available in the evenings. I can just imagine how my spouse would react to me getting in from work every day and then spinning right around to leave again with baths, dinner, etc. for little ones. Not to mention trying to have some quality time with them during the week.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

My dog is getting along ok. He's had two knee surgeries, so he gets a little creaky at times. And I'm watching my bros dog until Tuesday, a two year old lab-mix, that is running circles around him. My old man dog is super annoyed. I can almost hear him saying, "Stop running in the house, kid! Quit leaving your toys all over the place, ya whipper snapper! "

And yep. This struggle is on my dad's side of the family, but very well-hidden. (Which explains my own behaviors) Not at all on my mom's. My mom won't touch the stuff and hates when my dad drinks, always has.

Tried going out and about, but I'm sticking to the air-conditioned indoors today.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Yeah I don't think they have any 5am AA meetings around here Mark. LOL! I'd get up earlier, but I need all the sleep I can get now. 6am is my norm...

Never been a gym guy. Except for when I played football in high school. My job keeps me fit and is one of the main reasons why I do what I do. I need to be hands on physically active daily. I am not a desk job person.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Well Conquest, I creak a bit too.

It's only in retrospect that I see all the hidden and some not so hidden alcohol related stuff in my family (many alcoholics on both sides I've come to find out).

If my job kept me physically active I wouldn't do the gym stuff so much. I just know me and I have to do it. I do like the physical benefits, but it's more for my emotional wellbeing. I pace like a caged animal if I miss too many workouts! I'm just a guy that needs to work up a good sweat on an almost daily basis. Helps me stay focused on my real job.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  
love is the answer

I wonder if I said this to myself often enough that I'd become motivated to actually DO it????
Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
I'm just a [person] that needs to work up a good sweat on an almost daily basis. Helps me stay focused.....