Old 08-07-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm feeling fine today but taking it easy Phoebe
I'll be back tomorrow

D
Old 08-07-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're doing well, Dee. Big hugs your way. Rest up!

One of my favorite songs was playing and I thought of us all here. Just wanted to share:

I'm Not Who I Was by Brandon Heath

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R3SjCuSkaNs
Old 08-08-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Thanks Conquest, was not familiar with Brandon Heath! Feel better Dee and Venuscat- and I'm off to the races, LOL!
Old 08-08-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Glad you are feeling better, Dee.

Have a great day, BD! Enjoy your time with your daughter.

Dealing with house training failure here, lol. Not sure if I did not hear puppy, as I did go for the earplugs last night, since hubby was having several beers. Knew that meant snoring and I have been so tired. Crate towels soaked! I think puppy was telling me! After he ate, he was pulling and tugging and kind if crazy about it. So, got that all cleaned, laundry going, cleaned crate with odor neutralizer, etc... Dog has been out to pee, but still ran to dining room and peed on that rug. Small chase ensued, lol, and I stuck him outside so I could clean that up. I am sure it would have made a great comedy scene in a show or movie. Very glad I was not dealing with all that and a hangover!

I need a new plan. Some baby gates, to restrict the area when I let him out and about, and will pull up the one rug in the family room in that area. Then, just solid floors to deal with, wood.

People say a couple of weeks usually do the job. But I feel like we regress every other day! Yesterday was a stressful day for pup, so the routine was not at all the same. Out and about in the car, to vet, and daughter has friends over. All good for temperament, but not good for keeping a routine.

I am sure I will have the AV calling today. Will have to be vigilant. Try to catch a nap later.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Have fun BD ~ and thank you.
Good luck phoebe love; I'm sure it will get easier.

Neighbours are partying, I'm very sick, and I'm going to bed.
I have to work tomorrow, no idea how.

Love and goodnight. ♥
Old 08-08-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Oh V, that stinks. Are you supposed to work so soon after surgery? Are you sick from that, or something viral on top of it? Wish I could help you somehow. I do hope you get some sleep.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Hi guys, all is well here. Baby girl's second swimming lesson is in an hour. Little cold out there...but I guess those swimming people don't care. I will sit nearby warmly clothed and continue to not understand. I'm definitely not a water person.

Phoebe - good luck getting that little guy trained. They definitely can be a handful, especially while you're still adjusting. It definitely is a mini version of having a baby.

V - go easy on yourself. You have an impressive work ethic, but your health is the most important thing.

I heard that fire took out at least 43 houses. I'm so grateful my mom's wasn't among them. 108 square miles, and still only 50% contained, but it's effectively under control. The power of nature is pretty incredible.

I think it will be a pretty slow day here. No plans after swim. I used to get stoked about days like this because they meant I could drink all day without having to worry about going anywhere. I'll find something productive to do instead.

I actually had some random anxiety during the night and morning. It felt so much like the anxiety I got with hangovers, I actually felt guilty and had to remind myself I hadn't been drinking. That can really mess up my day and make me crave alcohol to self medicate. Nothing stopped hangover anxiety like more alcohol. I truly believe having medicine I can take for anxiety now has absolutely saved me from drinking many times.

Arbor - any plans for more meetings?
Old 08-08-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Hey Briar. Yeah, right now I'm planning on going weekly. Every Thursday unless I have a change of heart. That meeting really fueled me. Especially Friday. Today, eh not so much.

I'm pool side too with my little ones feeling just bland. Kinda tired too from newborn sleep. But it's tough here sometimes at my parents. Was always my playground for extreme drunkenness. Dad enjoys his vodka while I'm sipping back some seltzer. Ahhh good times...when are we eating?!
Old 08-08-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Time for some chips, Arbor!
Old 08-08-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Finally a break today and poolside too. Wife is out shopping and son away. Oldest daughter's new guy friend is here. I left my laptop at office and need to go get it, but no way I'm leaving my 10 year old to chaperone.

I'm taking the approach many teachers take at the first of the school year. Very stern. When it's clear that a little loosening up is ok, then so be it. This young dude can consider it to be very early in the school year. Nothing personal, but I was a 17 year old guy once. I remember.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Good call, Mark! I know what the teens across the street can do in a very short time alone. Maybe being the teens an little one for ice cream and pick up your computer on the outing? Does something like that work? Or, maybe wife will be home soon enough.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Well, I have to say, I feel a bit overwhelmed with the choice to get a puppy. I think I feel a stress and responsibility to have a well behaved dog, and have never done this before! He can get so nippy. And I scold him and he talks back, just a teen.

But, it is a good project to take up my idle time, I suppose.

Aww, was trying to post a cute picture, but they are too big. About to try to watch a movie as a family. Will try tomorrow, for those who like cute animal pics.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Administrator

Puppies are a lot of work - but they do settle down eventually

D
Old 08-08-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
Well, I have to say, I feel a bit overwhelmed with the choice to get a puppy. I think I feel a stress and responsibility...... and have never done this before!
I remember so vividly feeling the same way when we brought our first child home phoebe. I didn't know how to be a dad! Somehow it all works out. Looking forward to those pics.

Well I'm worn out. I went for a run after my morning business stuff because running is a stress reliever for me, but probably wasn't a good idea at 100 degrees. Thought pool time would help....just too dang hot.

You've got me thinking about my dad Arbor. In the years before he died, when I went to see him for a visit two things happened. First we loaded up in his truck so he could ride me through the grazing pastures to see his beloved cattle. Second, when we got back to the house we grabbed a couple of chairs and went out on the back lawn to chat and drink bourbon. I'm not sure how things would have played out if he was still here. In general I wasn't comfortable to display anything that I thought he would interpret as weakness, but my heart tells me he would have been behind me 100%. I don't anticipate ever smelling the aroma of bourbon again, but it would make me think of him if I did. Not in a bad way, it's just all I knew.

Hope the weekend is a good one for the gang and glad the weather is pleasant for at least some of us.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Yeah Mark. My Dads a great guy, great father. I really admire him as any son should. Sometimes my mind likes to make me feel bad for not drinking with him anymore. I haven't drank with him since last September when I originally quit. He stopped asking me a while ago if I'd like one. Haven't spoken to him about why I've stopped, but he probably knows anyway deep down. And knowing him he'd be in full support of me too.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Hang in there with that pup Phoebe! Patience is a virtue.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Phoebe, I've never trained a puppy, so no advice here. I'm big on research. Mark, good call not leaving them alone. Arbor, sounds like a plan! Briar, you seem to be gaining a lot on insight. Feel better V!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Faith and Vitamin C. And lots of warm salt-water gargles, and lemon and honey...and I made it. Not nearly as quickly as I usually do, but that's just fine. And the car didn't overheat, so super-awesome. (It's getting fixed on Wednesday).

What happened phoebe was a small surgical procedure (D&C) and check for any cysts and stuff, and I ended up with strep throat the next day. I am really only assuming I got it from the hospital. So yeah, I was in a mess.

All I could think over and over from Thursday to Saturday was thank God I'm sober...no way, no how could I have dealt with all of that if I wasn't. And I could never have gotten well enough to walk today. And today was the hard one, next two days are easy. All I need now is my car to hold out. It will. I have faith...plus I have tons of water with me in the car, and I check the coolant level before I get back in it every time. Can't hurt.

I did freak myself out a bit though...be prepared to laugh at me all of you who know about cars. That level line on the coolant bottle...now I know what happens if you go over that. You drive the car, the water comes up too high and you get a nice little puddle under the car. I thought the leak was worse (my sister insists there is a leak, I just think I was an idiot who forgot to check it for a year and nearly fried my engine)...gosh I do dumb things sometimes. Spoilt rotten by a dad who was an Engineer and car guy (General Motors Holden for many years). I couldn't change a tyre to save my life. I do have roadside assistance though, but still...I can do way better than this.

So...tired, sore throat, but really not too bad at all.

Hope you are recovering well Dee.

I used to foster puppies when I worked at The Lost Dog's Home phoebe, and it was really really hard work. So I truly sympathise. But everyone is right...it gets easier. I have always found that rewarding them for good behaviour works well. Lots of praise and pats and treats for peeing in the right place.

You can do this, and it wasn't a mistake love. Very soon he will be all under control and ready to be your walking buddy.

Yes Briar, I have a good work ethic. Who would have thought? After all of the years when I was the world's most unreliable employee.

Glad your mum's house is safe. That's such good news. (Did I say that already, maybe).

Arbor, getting to that meeting every week will be so good I think, but it can be hard in between when one is all you can manage. But you have us. Every day.

Well Mark, you and your wife are very good parents. I'm sure you taught your daughter to respect herself. No matter what teenage boys are like, I think she will be just fine. Trust her. And talk to her directly...it never hurts. (((hugs)))

Conquest, BD, Leigh...huge hugs.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Peeping in from the March 2015 class to say hi.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Well, feel free to way more than peep my lovely friend.
This is a wonderful group...come and chat with us anytime!