Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 18

Old 08-06-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Great news about your Mom's home, Briar. Whew - that was a close one.

I haven't seen Dee for a couple of days either - sure hope that he is okay.

Good Morning, Octsobers.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!

Thank goodness for your mom's well-being, Briar. Good luck with your proposal today. You have a gift for speaking/writing clearly and effectively. I'm sure it'll be a home run.

Glad you're a little better tonight, V.

Mark, I'm a fellow fan-taker myself. Actually, if I'm around floor fans, it makes me instantly sleepy and relaxed. Very pavlov's dog-ish. Lol

We'll be with you in spirit at the meeting tonight, Arbor. Again, I'm excited for you and admire your courage. Extra support can't ever be bad. Keep us posted!

Phoebe, your post made me smile. Huxley sounds like he's brought lots of joy to your family and friends already. A BBQ sounds like great fun!

Im back from a run, waiting on my baby bro to finish up this moving stuff. It got so hot yesterday, we decided to finish up this morning. And yes. I got my snowcone yesterday...pink lemonade sour. So gooood! Our weekend plans to go to the hunting lease have been postponed because we're expecting temps to get up to 102-103. With the heat index being considerably higher...That's just...NO. Lol
We did ride around on the four wheeler last night near the lake and saw deer. I wish I'd snapped a pic, but they ran off before I could. Tonight, I've got leftover hodge podgy dinner on the menu and presidential debates. Cowboy and I have very different political views so this should be interesting. I'll definitely pop popcorn.
Keep swinging away, friends!
Old 08-06-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Hi'ya, Conquest.

I'm with you and Mark; fans are my thing, too. I love the feel of moving air, especially at night while falling asleep.

Good luck with the meeting tonight, Arbor.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
How's the crate training going. Once he's settled into that whole routine, maybe you can get back to your earplugs. I'm so stuck on the sound of a fan blowing to help me get to sleep and I like it to blow on me too. I even pack a fan when we travel.

Arbor, for me walking into a meeting type situation for the first time is the hardest and I have to get past that before I can even begin to judge whether or not I relate to the content. I've researched and would have to drive a pretty far distance to get to a meeting location that I'm comfortable with. They are either too close or a 30plus minute drive. I am interested to get your take on it if it does work out for you to go this evening.

SR seems to be getting me by for now, but I'll make changes to my plan as the need arises. Having some face to face support does seem to hold great value.
So far Hux has neither cried out in the night or soiled his crate overnight. So, I probably could go back to the earplugs someday. But it is the new mommy thing. I just need to be able to take a listen when I wake up, hear and there, or know that if he was choking on a hunk of his bully stick I would hear it, etc... But, really, I think he just has a good long sleep. He likes his sleep, it seems.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Hey gang,

We talk often about how powerful the AV has been in our lives. On another thread I saw someone post something that I thought was neat about that other voice in our head......

"Every time I poured that first drink, something inside me said 'you can't keep living this way', but I knew that after I consumed a few that I'd forget that voice. So I'd drink more and more to keep that voice quiet. Eventually, I started drinking earlier and earlier in the day...because when I had my wits about me, my situation looked very dismal. When I was drunk, it didn't look so bad!"

That was posted by bigsombrero in the weekender thread.

Anyway, it's nice to stop and give credit that voice in our head that reminded us we weren't designed to live our lives in the chains of alcohol. We're getting there gang!

What time is the meeting scheduled for Arbor? I want to be actively thinking of you during that time.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

I used to hear and ignore that voice, too, Mark. I would hear it again around 3:00 a.m. in the morning - wide awake with a racing heart and awful anxiety' hating myself for not heeding its warning.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Best wishes for the meeting Arbor! You're a brave guy to do the the right thing for yourself and your family.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Its at 730... Getting close. It's tough cause my wife had a rough day with the boys and I want to be here. It's also bath time. Ugh...

Sounds like excuses, huh?
Old 08-06-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Sounds like the life of a busy young family man to me. Not sure how long meetings like that generally go.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Sounds like real life to me, Arbor. It happens no matter what our personal schedules are pre-set up for. I hope you can make it to the meeting. If not tonight, there will be more opportunities ahead.

I'm zonked. Moving in this heat is crrrrazy. Woulda, coulda, shoulda hired movers. Lesson learned. Happy to be home
Old 08-06-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Our last move was in an August Conquest. Any other moves will involve a moving crew.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Got to have my bedroom fan going also, all year round. Vornado. We have brought it traveling, LOL.

Hope the meeting is positive Arbor!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

I did it! I went to my first meeting! Boy, was I nervous. Heart pounding all the way. Was quite a large crowd actually. I'd say 20 or more people. I didn't know a soul! Thank god. Anyway, I spoke and introduced myself. It went all around the room. All kinds of different folk. We then proceeded to read a chapter from the Living Sober book which I have already read a while back. Chapter nine where it talks about using sweets for cravings. Anyhow, after we read it out loud it was everyone's turn for open discussion. I spoke again.

The best part about it for me was meeting these two guys at the table that have been sober since like '83. They handed me a booklet of all the meetings around the area and personal numbers to call from a bunch of members if I need to. I connected with both pretty well. One guy was actually in the same line of work as I.

The meeting was under an hour. After it was over I spoke with the two gentleman for a while. I asked them if they had done the twelve step program and if it's necessary. Can't I just show up to meetings? They stressed the importance of doing the program. And this was kinda the kicker for me. The one guy spoke about the void. That all human beings are born with that void. We've chosen to fill it with alcohol. How the program is designed to fill that void. That really hit me. I felt that void a lot during those nine months. We've talked about it here in our class.

I donated a dollar in the basket before I left. They all want me to come back next week. I still need to digest all this as it was very emotional day. I contemplated going ALL day. Really came down to the wire for me and now I'm just exhausted. But I'm so glad I went. The next meeting will be so much easier.

Goodnight everyone!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Hi Arbor. I am glad you survived and feel positive about the meeting.

It is wonderful that you are so supportive of your wife alone with the children. I relied heavily upon my husband for bath time. My stupid bad back. I did, however survive a couple of years where he was gone for at least a week each month. As long as you work it out, you can get away for a night here and there.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

That's awesome Arbor! I'm so glad it was s good experience for you.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

I'm so happy for you Arbor, and SO PROUD of you!
I kinda thought you'd like it...so glad you did.

The 12-step program is a program for life. It has been adapted and used by many organisations because it works. I did the steps formally years ago, and these days I practice them in my life on a daily basis. That is my program...and I need it.

A lot of people who are not religious use this program. For some, the higher power is the room, the group...one of the acronyms for GOD is Group of Drunks. So you can get a great deal out of the steps whether or not you believe in God.

Glad your mum's house is safe Briar.

And yeah Conquest, I had a feeling that was going to be exhausting for you.
Why is it always boiling hot or raining when people move?
So lovely of you to help your brother with that.

I can't wait to see more pictures of Huxley phoebe...he sounds like an awesome pup. And you sound really happy that you did this. I'm so glad.

Mark ~ you are way more observant than me today...I totally missed the 8 being gone on Arbor's name.

BD ~ I really don't like the fan on in my bedroom, unless it's very hot. And I have to wear earplugs...not a 'fan' of the noise. I remember being in a relationship years ago where it was a big bone of contention. The guy also liked it on all year round...
Really glad your meet-up went well.
Watching any good shows lately? Complications for example? I really like that one. Don't think I am going to be able to do this for much longer, so I am enjoying it while it lasts...if they send me a warning letter that will be it for me.

Hello Leigh my love. And how are you feeling these days?
I know I sound a bit pathetic at the moment, as it turns out I have strep throat now. Unbelievable, go to hospital and get a bug. Sheesh.

My downstairs neighbours are fighting again...ah, fun....

I messaged Anna and was told that Dee is fine and will be back soon. So that's good. Miss him though.

So much love to you beautiful Octsobers! ♥
Old 08-06-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Arbor - I remembered that I listened to this song a lot when I was exploring AA. Nailed the way I felt at the time. AA did give me some hope by planting the idea in my mind that there is something out there I can put my faith in that will fill the void. I haven't found it yet, but I'm starting to understand the concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQeEcNj95lo

V - I'm glad to hear Dee is okay. I was worried.

Sorry so choppy tonight, I have to sneak in a sentence or two whenever my daughter occupies herself for two consecutive minutes, which isn't happening very often.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Dee posted in the 24-hour thread and said that he has had some complications from the flu.
He will be back soon; he said he has to rest for the moment.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Good morning gang and happy Friday!

Well Arbor, what a day for you yesterday! FANTASTIC!

I've never read the 12 steps, but will do that soon so I can relate more to what y'all are talking about. And wow, to speak up at the first meeting.....well done. A day of high emotions wears me out like nothing else, so I hope sleep and good rest came easily for you.

V, I hope you've got a little time off this weekend so you can rest up and thanks for checking on Dee.

Staff meeting this morning and a conference tomorrow morning....but for now it's gym time. Have a great day/night all.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

So glad to here it went well Arbor!