Notices

(Not So) New - Frank's Thread Part 2

Old 08-27-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
No magic, huh? Okay. Stop looking then. Stop drinking.
Oh there is magic...but that happens later...

to my surprise I woke up one day, not only liking myself, but with a deep sense of peace....

and years later, it's all still there...stronger and more enduring if anything

If you knew me in the 20 years previously, you'd know how momentous that is

D
Old 08-27-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Looks like I missed all the Action on your Thread last night Frank A little mixture of everything . That's what I like keeps you on your toes & works your brain all at the same time LOL
No way possible for me to keep up with posts or replies - on the typing part . Doesn't finger to me - I was going to get an "A" in my typing class ( teacher said) before I told her I'm quitting school.
That's ok I went on to get my G.E.D
Enjoyed everyone's posts & replies /with names - will take me 2 days at least , but I will write a few Comments ..
That bird link had me rolling , did you get a scare on your cheek Frank ? lol
Pumpkin Jelly or jam sounds yummy ?
My son once told me - I should have been a blond
First think that came to my mind when I read about kiwi was a fruit
Love my documentaries - ones like "Alone" - survival types , in the wilderness - Naked & Afraid
I've kicked many of men to the curb , their tears came after - should have been during
Had my pearly whites cleaned yest. by a new Chic . She said - Oh I hope I'm not hurting you by stretching your month out - It's So small !! As I sat there in pain - I was thinking - If only you knew - How Big my mouth could get
With that all being said - Am I Crazy , Weird , or Blond enough to fit in ?
Old 08-27-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Hmmmm....I would say you are big-time crazy, weird, and more than blonde enough (in spirit) to fit in.....with us freaks!!

xxxx
Old 08-27-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Great thanks Tooshabby - I think LOL
How you doing today ? I'm hoping that AV is getting tired out
Old 08-27-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

You people are all crazy.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Hello all.

My rambling for today has nothing to do with alcohol. It's about another evil: Greed. Greed and Jealousy.

When I was a little kid my parents took me and a school mate to a minor league baseball game. The stadium probably seated 20,000 or so, but there were only about 1500 in attendance. After we took our seats I decided the really neat thing to do would be to catch a ball in the stands. Cleverly (I was a clever little bugger) I figured if my friend and I moved to the far left corner of the stands we might get a foul ball. So we did that and there wasn't anyone within 100 feet of us. And just like clockwork (did I mention I was a clever little bugger?) the batter hit a foul ball into the stands, about 10 feet from us. My friend snagged the ball. Neat, huh? Except he had a ball and I didn't. And after a few innings I still didn't have a ball. Frustrated, I went to the edge of the stands, leaned over, looking down at the opposing team's bullpen warm-up area and begged for a ball, figuring the pitchers down there couldn't resist a whiny little kid. Well, they weren't in a giving mood, but they were hungry. Their coach wouldn't let them eat in the bullpen. So (did I mention I was a clever little bugger) I made a deal: one hot dog for one baseball. So I went back to my parents (multiple times) asking for hot dog money. They must have thought I had an eating disorder. Anyhoo, we ended up with 13 baseballs. But my friend ended up with seven, and I only ended up with six. The moral of the story: A guy can never have enough balls.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Lol....Thanks Frank. I love that story :-) What an ingenious little fellow!

My AV seems to be alive and kicking, I'm afraid :-/ I have to try and get some sleep. Had very little. I do have a smidgen of hope left....just a smidgen.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Lol....Thanks Frank. I love that story :-) What an ingenious little fellow!

My AV seems to be alive and kicking, I'm afraid :-/ I have to try and get some sleep. Had very little. I do have a smidgen of hope left....just a smidgen.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

What can I do to help?
Old 08-27-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

*crickets*

Just watched Micheal Jackson's 1995 MTV Awards Performance.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqKm-NUDR_U What an amazing talent. So sorry he is gone.

*crickets*
Old 08-27-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

You are helping just by setting a good example and not being judgmental.

Needless to say I feel terrible today. Dee's post gives me a little bit of hope, because it's peace that I crave, and that's what I'm trying to find in the bottle. Problem is, it works in the short-term. I feel newly determined today - I have to. The only other option is to feel beaten. I'm going to have to do something different. I'm not sure what yet. One thing I've read both Dee and Scott say is there is nothing to 'figure out'. I think that's part of my problem. I keep thinking I'm going to understand it, and maybe when I do, it will be all over. I just have to stop, and have some courage. Maybe I need to start praying about it. I do believe in the power of prayer.

He was so incredibly talented. Sad life. Those accusations must have been crushing. Poor guy.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hang in there Tooshabby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20150501_195902.jpg (28.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-27-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I've just enjoyed catching up - plenty of wisdom here.

Tooshabby - That was the turning point for me - finally admitting there'd be no peace through drinking. I had thought of it as a friend, a comforter, and a way to cope - but it was none of those things. The temporary numbness & pleasant fog it would put me in, had a terrible price tag. In the end, the anxiety & remorse almost did me in. I think you're realizing that.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

I echo what Dee and Hevyn observe.

There comes a day when none of this is as difficult as it was coming out of the starting gate.

My own situation is a little unusual only in that I was two months sober when I joined SR, something I did because going at it without any support system was proving difficult.

What got me through those first couple months was repeating a mantra to myself: "This is over." Shabby, I'm sure you'll find your own words that allow you to summon your grit. What I can tell you -- and what I've told others -- is to remember that the only thing alcohol does well, and reliably well, is make everything worse.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^^^^^^^^^ Hello Frank
Old 08-27-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Amy is great, but a heart breaker. There's a Howling Wolf doc that I can't think of the name that is great too. Of course for me, any Blues Documentary is great!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

(((Sweet Shabby)) think I've come to know you here on SR, and here is what I know: You are a strong and confident person. You'll be fine, okay? And like Saoutchik's pic said, 'Hang in there". Yes, you just got my first ever SR Frank kiss. That's because you deserve it. If you are a good girl, I'll give you more. (actually if you're a bad girl I'll still kiss you more)

Wolf, good to see you! Elizabeth, thank you for posting here again! Hevyn and Venecia and Jsbodhi (you still need a nickname) and Dee and Nest, always good stuff, thank you so much, and I'm sure Miss Shabby thanks you, too.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

I'm so thankful for everyone's kindness I'm feeling very humbled and a bit speechless.

Maybe a mantra is a good idea. Being brought up Catholic, it might just work!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Being brought up Catholic, it might just work!
Geez, don't go there. You'll just feel guilty, a staple of Catholicism. You'll confess to sins you've never even committed (but feel free to email those sins to me). But if you insist, a couple of Hail Marys and throw some salt over your shoulder.

Please post pictures of you in a plaid Catholic school girl skirt. (I promise not to look).
Old 08-27-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

I remember going to confession and making up sins like I'd been cruel to the cat and other ridiculous inventions.

My Dad was such a bad driver (worse, when rotten drunk) that I used to pray Hail Mary's unceasingly in the back seat of the car.

I don't have a single photo - no kidding. There's only one blurry photo of me as a baby too. I was the third child. It had got old by then, I think.

Speaking of Catholicism and photos.....has anyone seen the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona? I think that is the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my entire life. We stood for a while inside one of the entrances and just watched the looks on people's faces as they came into the cathedral. I get misty-eyed just thinking about it. What an incredible, mysterious, spiritual man Gaudi was. Awe inspiring. I might be able to get Mr TS to help me upload some photos later tonight.