Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 6

Old 06-11-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks boss for the running tips. And Amp too.

Right now I walk for about 5min then run for 5 and back to walk again. As a recovering alcoholic and smoker I can barely run that. I love how I feel afterwards and that's key. Can't say I love how I feel during, cause that feels more like death than anything.

And yeah...I need better shoes. Had mine for years and that's not good.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well, let's see how I go tonight. The inevitable work do is upon me.

I run a language school and historically I take all the staff out for a meal at the end of the academic year. I have my car with me as an excuse and have no intention of drinking. I don't really feel 100% but will be expected to take up my role as life and soul of the party. Not sure I'll be able to find that in me today.

I had to let one staff member go recently and the rest of the team are a little divided over the decision. A couple of people have cancelled at the last minute which I think is a shame.

I am sitting in my car round the corner from the bar where we're meeting in 10 minutes. Previous years I'd have been right in there by now "getting ahead of the game". I kind of wish I could just go home. I feel bad that I feel like that. I'm hoping my depressed attitude is temporary and as I begin to sit more easily with my sobriety I will also feel more comfortable in this sort of social situation.

Anyway... 5 minutes and I'm going in! Wish me luck!!!

Cauliflower, drop us a line and let us know how you're doing. Sure we're all thinking of you.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by martina12 View Post
Oops I cant count its day 4!!!
Don't worry - it'll be day 5 soon enough 😀

Well done - amazing achievement!
OMD
Old 06-11-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Good luck Amp...remember to play the tape forward. Its the first drink that's the problem not the last and all that....

Let us know how you get on...
Old 06-11-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Well, let's see how I go tonight. The inevitable work do is upon me.

I run a language school and historically I take all the staff out for a meal at the end of the academic year. I have my car with me as an excuse and have no intention of drinking. I don't really feel 100% but will be expected to take up my role as life and soul of the party. Not sure I'll be able to find that in me today.

I had to let one staff member go recently and the rest of the team are a little divided over the decision. A couple of people have cancelled at the last minute which I think is a shame.

I am sitting in my car round the corner from the bar where we're meeting in 10 minutes. Previous years I'd have been right in there by now "getting ahead of the game". I kind of wish I could just go home. I feel bad that I feel like that. I'm hoping my depressed attitude is temporary and as I begin to sit more easily with my sobriety I will also feel more comfortable in this sort of social situation.

Anyway... 5 minutes and I'm going in! Wish me luck!!!

Cauliflower, drop us a line and let us know how you're doing. Sure we're all thinking of you.
Hope your evening was better than you expected Amp.

OMD
Old 06-11-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it went ok too amp

gearing up for another sober weekend guys?

D
Old 06-11-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

It was fine. A little odd but fine. Thanks guys!
Old 06-11-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm gearing up for a sober weekend. My first without my boys. My plan: work. Need the weekend to door knock peeps I couldn't catch during the week for the past month.

Amp..seems like our recovery path is identical. I've been so emotional lately. I take it as a good thing. And I assume it's temporary. Blaming it on PAWS.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Good evening Aprilians, I am just checking In. Sitting in the van waiting for my son's soccer practice to finish. I am getting sleepy *yawn *.

I spent the day going down memory lane. The family of our dearest friend who passed wants to do a slide show at the celebration of life so I have been looking for photos of him, and I found some sweet photos of that I forgot had of my family. Both tiring and fun at the same time....and nothing got done. Oh well.

While I was down memory lane, I was also reminded of how many years I had a drinking problem. I recalled many drunken episodes from the photos. No regrets, just glad I quit!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Cauliflower, I'm glad to hear you are doing okay. Going through pictures can be very emotional - congrats on staying strong.

Amp, glad your event went okay. Don't feel bad about not really wanting to be there - sounds like you had some pretty good reasons.

Re the running discussion, I've had my fair share of running injuries, and in addition to the advice of taking it slow (running one day on, one day off, etc.) I'd advise to make sure you take time for stretching and strength training. Doesn't take long at all - five minutes of stretching after you work out and 3x10 squats and lunges twice a week should be sufficient. It will keep you running! Love those endorphins.

Went to the gym for the first time tonight since Saturday - it felt great, especially afterward. I need to focus on that feeling when I feel too lazy to go. It's always worth it when I do.

Hope you all are well!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
OMD

Morning all! Happy Friday!

Where is everyone?

OMD
Old 06-11-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 06-11-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by SwimKim12 View Post
Cauliflower, I'm glad to hear you are doing okay. Going through pictures can be very emotional - congrats on staying strong.

Amp, glad your event went okay. Don't feel bad about not really wanting to be there - sounds like you had some pretty good reasons.

Re the running discussion, I've had my fair share of running injuries, and in addition to the advice of taking it slow (running one day on, one day off, etc.) I'd advise to make sure you take time for stretching and strength training. Doesn't take long at all - five minutes of stretching after you work out and 3x10 squats and lunges twice a week should be sufficient. It will keep you running! Love those endorphins.

Went to the gym for the first time tonight since Saturday - it felt great, especially afterward. I need to focus on that feeling when I feel too lazy to go. It's always worth it when I do.

Hope you all are well!
Yep plenty of good running advice on here and lots of experience too 😀
If you add burpees to Kim's list you're the complete athlete in no time!

Kim I know what you mean about motivating - I always tell myself that I will not regret having gone, but the reverse is also true. So I go (normally!) Never regretted it yet!

Friday is my favourite morning. I take my daughter to school. With no hangover it's awesome.

Have a good day all.

None for me today.

OMD
Old 06-11-2015, 09:55 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Good morning all, looks like you beat me to it today OMD.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Morning all! 7,26 here. Nice to wake up the day after a party and only feel tired... NOT HUNGOVER! This is such a massive plus which is important not to take for granted. The memory of hangovers is beginning to fade a little. Used to be my first thought on waking...

How bad is it and is it what I deserve given the previous day's intake?!!

Feels good to be free

Cauliflower! Glad you're doing ok. Nice to hear from you!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Cauliflower, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm good. Hanging in there and happy to be sober. As they were talking about layoffs then we get hit with a lot of work which is good. The layoff talks have quieted for now. Someone is bringing in donuts tomorrow! yay! lol

I'm sitting here watching Bates Motel on Netflix waiting for clothes to finish drying. Super Kitty Elvis is sleeping next to me. My son was in a school play and was the cutest elephant ever!

Life is precious and I wasted too much of it drunk or hungover. Life won't always be perfect but it sure is a lot better now than it was when I was afraid of running out of beer and dreading the inevitable hangover. That was a miserable life and I just wish I hadn't spent so much time in that frame of mind. The important thing is to keep creating a better life and be the mom that my sweet son deserves. Thank you all so much for being here. Goodnight. <3
Old 06-12-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

None for me today.

Off to the races....

Have a great day everyone.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi all

Amp - well done for getting through last night that was a tough call

Cauliflower good to hear from you..

Well, if last weekend hadn't happened today would have been 2 months for me. I did check in with the June class and understandably they are all where we were last April if that makes sense! Early days for them...

We have made great strides in our recovery, some more than others (that's me) but I am hoping that I can stay in with you guys as I kind of feel I am past those very early days? Also feel like we have great camaraderie here and lots of support for each other...

Dodged the usual colleague pub call on the way home so cheers to a great sober weekend!!!

M
Old 06-12-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by martina12 View Post
Hi all

Amp - well done for getting through last night that was a tough call

Cauliflower good to hear from you..

Well, if last weekend hadn't happened today would have been 2 months for me. I did check in with the June class and understandably they are all where we were last April if that makes sense! Early days for them...

We have made great strides in our recovery, some more than others (that's me) but I am hoping that I can stay in with you guys as I kind of feel I am past those very early days? Also feel like we have great camaraderie here and lots of support for each other...

Dodged the usual colleague pub call on the way home so cheers to a great sober weekend!!!

M
This place would not be the same without you.

OMD
Old 06-12-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Martina, you've made made great strides in your recovery as well. Don't count yourself out! We are human and make mistakes, and you've proven your commitment to sobriety by learning from your mistake. I am glad you are here with us.