Notices

Class of June 2015

Old 06-05-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mayg View Post
Also, I have a friend and we're bad news together but I've arranged to go to hers for lunch next week, which means I'll be driving and I think she is working that evening. I am trying to do things like that for the short term just to avoid completley. Mayg
Think that's a great plan mayg for June at least I am trying to avoid any situations where I might drink.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by SansaS View Post
Any other tips on how to get through it?
If you aren't sure you will make it, then why go? I've found that once others start drinking, then all bets are off about whether they will "support" my sobriety or not. I also find it very easy to start feeling left out, which leads to thoughts of joining in - which is not a good place to be in.

At the very least, have an exit plan if a desire to drink comes to you.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Good job on avoiding temptation twice mayg
Old 06-05-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiredofme View Post
...for June at least I am trying to avoid any situations where I might drink.
Great choice. One of the most often ignored pieces of advice is to avoid drinking places and people in early sobriety. Dry places and dry faces is I believe how it is phrased.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

I woke up early this morning, so I will have a long ride home this evening. I hate sleeping in hotels (when did little square pillows become a thing?). I am feeling pretty blag right now. Lately, I have been feeling depressed by my aging body. I am less than 2 years from 50 and aches and pains are becoming regular friends, even if I exercise. It does remind me that time is ticking and I should be making the most of each day.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

I made it through dinner without drinking a drop, just stuck to soda water! Day 6 is nearly down and I am feeling great.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Day 6. No sleep. Feel like garbage
Old 06-05-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

I made it through dinner without drinking a drop, just stuck to soda water! Day 6 is nearly down and I am feeling great.
Oh, well done Sansa. That's great. You'll be so proud and pleased when you get up tomorrow. Mayg
Old 06-05-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Think just not resting. Got to goto bed soon as I get home. 10hr days in dumptruck getting me, but they shouldn't. Still better than a hangover
Old 06-05-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Day 6. No sleep. Feel like garbage
I know that feeling well. Ruins the whole day. Please try to nap if possible today. I think being overly tired is very dangerous for us. I slipped up yesterday and I think being tired and frustrated contributed to my deciding to have that wine.
Don't be like me; I am so disappointed in my self right now. Who knows, tiredness may not be a trigger for you at all, but be super vigilant just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ringthedoorbell View Post
I know that feeling well. Ruins the whole day. Please try to nap if possible today. I think being overly tired is very dangerous for us. I slipped up yesterday and I think being tired and frustrated contributed to my deciding to have that wine.
Don't be like me; I am so disappointed in my self right now. Who knows, tiredness may not be a trigger for you at all, but be super vigilant just to be on the safe side.
HALT - Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. All common triggers.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you can get some rest soon JL.

D
Old 06-05-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

I think the only trigger for me is deciding thatim gonna have a drink. Haven't had any benders since I started trying to abstain. Only a day or 2 of drinking. That's not to pretend I couldn't, just didn't. Something changes in my head, that makes it not a big deal to get a 6 pack, and relax, while doing chores. For us though, that'll never, ever be then end of it.
"Us"; looking at stats and the numbers of successful liquor sales, there's a whole lot of "us", that are just denying the truth.
"Us", is at least brave enough to try to change our lives.
This stuffs hard.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
HALT - Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. All common triggers.
I'll remember that; it's so true!
Thanks Tang.
Never heard that before, Probably because I'm sort of new to SR.
The support here is so important to me and I think it is to all of the newbies.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Good morning all. - happy Friday!

I know weekends can be so tough for us newbies. Let's make a pact to stay close to SR and come here if we're feeling weak. Making it through a weekend always makes me feel so proud!

Hope you get some rest JL, the sleep issues are a really tough part of early sobriety. I'm still having nightmares.

Go get it, Junebugs!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Hi Junebugs,

I really look forward to checking this thread and seeing how everyone is doing. So glad to see everyone here! I'm into day 9 now and looking forward to making it a good weekend. There was a birthday gathering I went to last night, and although I knew I wasn't going to drink, I have to admit I was a little envious when I passed the beers down the table to their recipients.

DD, I like your pact! See you all here in SR - let's make it a great weekend!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
Welcome to the June class Rosie.

Congrats Billy on day 4, and SansaS on day 6! Keep it up.
Thank you.. although I spoke too soon. It has suddenly hit me just how alone I am in life.. Was happy this morning, now i'm bawling my eyes out. It's amazing how an empty house and lack of human contact feels so different when sober. I'm not sure I like it
Old 06-05-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Hi Guys. It's friday night and I'm the last at work. I'm scared to leave in case I by beer.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

I'm on day 6 here. Feeling good but tired. My skin feels soft and my face looks better in the mirror. I am going out for dinner tonight with friends and it's at a pub. I have already explained to them my situation, so there will be absolutely no pressure from them to drink. Any other tips on how to get through it?
Knowing myself sansa, I would have to cancel my plans, especially this early on. Oooop, sorry just read that you made it through dinner! Yay! I'm a bit behind.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Hi Guys. It's friday night and I'm the last at work. I'm scared to leave in case I by beer.
Just keep driving easy. Straight home. I just woke up after another 12 hours of sober sleep. Feeling pretty awesome.