Notices

Class of June 2015

Old 06-06-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'm just joining this thread (failed in my May attempt, so back trying out the first day again today). I'm about to do what some of you have already managed to do - go to the shops but avoid the beer aisle. Looking forward to a nice clear-headed Sunday morning, though
Old 06-06-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Welcome Carly and Julie
Old 06-06-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

I woke up today with 2 options: drink or not to drink. If I chose option 1 (drink) I knew exactly how my day would have turned out. Start drinking by 1pm either cancel the plans I had made with friends at 3:30 or frantically try and "sober up" and brush my teeth 2-3 times. Then quickly get a drink at the festival to cover up any smell and the afternoon would turn into a drunken evening and I'll probably be at Karaoke at this very moment.
I chose option 2 and had no idea how my day would turn out. It turned out great. Went to the festival with friends and meet many others there. Caught the 6:15 bus home and watched a few TV shows. Then decided to go to the public bath (a wonderful relaxing pastime in Japan) and had a massage. Yes, my day turned out to be very productive and now i feel quite pampered and ready for bed.
It is quite exciting to see how your day turns out.
Hope your day turns out great too!
Old 06-06-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Welcome to the June class Carly and Julie.

Originally Posted by Julie72 View Post
failed in my May attempt, so back trying out the first day again today
Don't feel too bad. I think I've "signed up" for every class since March, and have flunked out of them all. This time around, I seem quite resolute though.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday. 11pm here, so I'm off to watch a movie in bed, and fall asleep.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope you are all having a nice weekend
Old 06-06-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

All in all not a bad day at all. AV did surface a lot today but not very loudly. Felt pretty calm and relaxed which is good emotions are a big trigger. Bought a few little treats instead of wine nail varnish, moisturiser and a large cake (not perfect lol) but least I will have something to show for the money come Monday not just empty bottles that need disposing of discretely.

Also downloaded the novel sober is the new black which I am going to read a little later it's got some good reviews though the story may be a little close to home.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Welcome Carly and Julie.
I'm just having my morning coffee and very glad to have day 8 over and done with. I was so wound up in the evening I'd have hidden my car keys if I wouldn't know where they were but I got there. In the end I started the couch to 5k and ha ha ha to eight weeks to get there, judging by my performance, if I use that as a tool to recovery it shall see me through to 2016! So that can be my latest obsession, I would far rather that than booze.
I have worked out that not every little annoyance is due to my drinking the previous night (and need to be sober to know that) and neither is every little annoyance a reason to justify tipping a couple of bottle of wine down my throat.
Love hearing how others are going. I am very much hoping to be on Day 9 next time I wake up.
Mayg
Old 06-06-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Slightest irritation makes me want to drink. I'm not gonna. Dear self, you are allowed to have negative feelings.

What is everyone up to? Can hear the crickets chirping in thus class. ;-)
Old 06-06-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Happy I'm here

Grateful to be a part of Class of June 2015!
My last drink was on May 31st at 11:00pm so June 1 was a new beginning for me. Today is day 7 and I'm still holding on. I've thought of drinking a few times.

I've been researching 'urge surfing' but I'm not really there yet.

The way I combat cravings now is to pamper myself. I go out and buy video games. Or binge at Burger King.
Not healthy I know.
But the mind is like a whiny baby. Sometime I have to pacify it with anything it wants to avoid drinking.

Wish me luck for week 2!
Old 06-06-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like any skill Urge Surfing takes some practice, but you'll get it Drash

D
Old 06-06-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Just checking in for day 2. I'm only halfway through the day and kind of find myself wondering around the house a bit. I have been productive though but can't be bothered doing anything too time-consuming.
This afternoon I'm taking the new foreigner in town around to some recycle shops. Just scrapping together some money in the hope of finding a bargain myself!
A friend asked me yesterday about how I was going. I was so pleased she had asked. I've partied with her for 15 years so she knows to some extent my addiction. But the fact that she asked, gave me the opportunity to let a little more out. She also knows I'm quite serious and I can now see her as someone I can turn to. I replied that I'm not going to drink for as long as I can. Not 100% commitment but it's something I can wrap my head around at the moment.

Congratulations to everyone for getting through another day sober.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

I'm in too. I'm catching up this thread, but very much looking forward to meeting you all and hopeful for a sober june.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Like any skill Urge Surfing takes some practice, but you'll get it Drash

D
Thanks for the vote of confidence! 😊
Old 06-06-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Enjoying a Sunday of no hangover. Just remembering where I was exactly 7 days ago- in an anxious, nauseous nightmare. I never want to be in that place again. I need to hold on to that feeling.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Morning everyone

Sad to say I failed yesterday. My partner asked me to pick him up some beer when I went to the shop, and I hardly hesitated before grabbing some for myself. I drank a little less than I have been doing lately, but I still woke up dehydrated, exhausted and a little depressed.

But I'm not going to beat myself up about it, and I'm not going to curse my partner for making me go down the beer aisle, or the shop for *having* a beer aisle.

I'm going to go to the shop first thing this morning, when any temptations and cravings are weak, and make sure I get everything I could possibly want for the next three or four days.

Well done to all of you who are being stronger than I was last night
Old 06-06-2015, 11:05 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Julie

D
Old 06-06-2015, 11:43 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Welcome Drash and Magicalthinking.

Welcome to Sunday afternoon. Had a good sleep, and so far, all is well here.

The "gardener" (ok, some guy with a weed wacker) found a small bee hive yesterday in the front garden bed. Not worried for myself, but my dogs, as that's the exact place they go to get a good view of the street. For now, I'll just leave it alone. Don't have many flowers to pollinate, so hopefully they'll move along on their own shortly, and I get an even nicer flower bed out of it. My neighbor thinks I should set it on fire. Ummm... no. I don't think I'll do that.

For the most part feel good though. Nothing great or thrilling, but at least I don't have a massive hangover, look or feel ravaged, while being filled with remorse, regret, loneliness, and depression. Instead, it's just kind of a constant, plateaued, "ok, this works too" type of feeling. I don't know, best I can describe it. Feels good though. Like I can actually accomplish things now, because I know who I'm going to be in a few hours.

Noticed I'm drinking tons of water though. 4x 1.5L bottles = 6L/day. That's a little excessive, no? I don't try to drink that much, it's just what happens. And to think, that used to be all whiskey and coke. Gross!

Anyway, hope everyone is having a good sleep this Saturday night and/or enjoying their Sunday!
Old 06-07-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Julie72 View Post
I'm going to go to the shop first thing this morning, when any temptations and cravings are weak, and make sure I get everything I could possibly want for the next three or four days.
Sounds like a great plan! That's somewhat what I did myself. Stocked up on all the water, cigarettes, and groceries I would need for a good while, so I didn't have to go to any shops at all (they ALL have alcohol in them here).

Keep on keeping up the good fight Julie!
Old 06-07-2015, 12:23 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Yes it is so hard isn't it Julie72 (or should I say easy) when its staring you in the face...not sure where you are from but hope you are having a good Sunday. Its Sunday arvo here in West Oz ... I'm at work and only one place is open in town today that I can buy anything (to drink) after work.....know I will have to fight my AV not to go there after work. Trying to work out a good plan for myself
to get through each day. Well the pm really. Really pleased for everyone who joined on the 1st June and have made your first week..that is fantastic
Old 06-07-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Julie59 it's way too hard/easy, but that'll make success all the better It's Sunday morning here in the UK, and there's about fifty shops in a five mile radius that would be pleased as punch to sell me enough beer to drown a camel.

Troy, your garden sounds idyllic to me - I get wasps instead of bees in mine every summer. Ouch.

6L water a day sounds like an awful lot to me (but I admit I know nothing about anything). Might be worth looking at Wikipedia's entry on water intoxication just in case (I tried to post a link but I'm 2 posts shy of being allowed to)

Glad you're doing great, Troy - and everyone else who's having a lovely, hangover-free Sunday! I'll be tickled pink when I can get to where you are