Notices

Class of June 2015

Old 06-02-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

7 down and life to go. Coffee tasting great this morning. Had to stop at 1.5 cups. Wanted more.Last time I got sober I escalated to a pot+ every morning and it's just too much. Not gonna happen this time. AV already kicking in saying "what have you got to lose". That list is bigger than I thought. So much is taken for granted while imbibing. All can be gone very quickly (or slowly if you like) but it will all go. Not a very good trade when thought about rationally.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Sounds like many of us are in a similar place right now.. Just feeling sober again, struggling with those trigger feelings and times of day, still angry with ourselves for getting back to square one again, and also scared of the complacently that usually comes once we start feeling better. For me, it helps to know I'm not alone in this crazy cycle and that there are others out there feeling the same. But I also know that we can do this. We don't have to make today another failure where we couldn't get past day one, two, three,etc.
It is huge motivation for me to sleep well and wake up rested rather than tired, achy, foggy, and hating myself. My head feels clearer already. I'm going to get out and walk my dog. I have a pretty busy day today, not working but lots to do. But I know that once 4:00 hits no matter what I am or what I'm doing, my thoughts will turn toward drinking. I hate that my mind can play such tricks on me but I have to recognize it for what it is .. A trick, a lie. It's never just one or two, I never moderate like I plan to, and I always feel awful the next day. It's not a reward, it's a punishment.

Have a great sober day everyone
Old 06-02-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Good, morning all,
Well, day one went ok. One down, forever to go!
A little worried about a cook out this weekend...but I know I can't always avoid situations where others will be drinking (and most of them drinking in moderation, unlike what I would do.)
Have a successful and happy day my fellow Junebugs.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Woke up with an exercise hangover today. I had a good workout yesterday and sweat a lot, but I forgot to rehydrate. I woke up with a nasty "hangover" luckily it was easily cured with some water.

My challenge this month is to start building a sober life with sober activities and non-alcoholic friends. Where does one make friends at 48?

I hope everyone is doing well!
Old 06-02-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Morning ya'll! Day 2 here. I'm relieved. A little background...

I joined in 2012. I wasn't a huge drinker. Just one every night. Rule #1 Only one a night. (unless we go out .. then I can have 1 more) However I really, really, really looked forward to that drink! Everything would hinge on it. If people were coming for dinner I would chug it upstairs. Rule #2 I never drank before 5:00. If we had to go out somewhere around 5:00, I would drink it before we left because I knew I would miss it. Anyway .. I finally recognized the power this had over me. I stopped and started a few times and finally quit. Then I got pregnant. Excellent. No worry about drinking. Fast forward to a few years later and I'm back to drinking every day again. Except I'm breaking my own rules. I've been known to crack one around 3:00 and I now drink at LEAST 2. I like beer. I've found one that has the highest alcohol content of any that I can get at the grocery store. It tastes like crap but that's not the point ..is it? I've also started hiding the 1st beer from my husband. I was up in out bedroom the other day and saw all these bottles on my dressing room shelves. Really? Man. I have to stop before it gets more serious.

So, here I be. I'm praying for each one of us as we fight this fight.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

One of my favorite plans: I will only drink 4 times per month. Today will be one of those times. Tomorrow: it was a dumb plan anyway, might as well abandon it.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Fae

Oh, all the plans and rules we have for ourselves!! :P

I'm now past the "just one drink" thing.... I'm not in denial about that, but I will say "Just one NIGHT (or two - that's how long it takes to "get it out of my system" AHAHAHAHA) of drinking, then I'm done" or "just one or two nights a month of drinking" which.....doesn't work. I mean I guess I'm mainly a binge drinker. But it's been at the point lately where I wake up, want to drink.....and by 4pm I'm most likely plastered. Unless I can wait until a "normal" time to drink..... or I have light drinking all day then get totally plastered at night.

And it's funny how a book for 16 dollars is omg too much!!! But I'll buy a magnum of wine for that and drink it in a couple hours. :O

So, last friday I got money and spent most of it on things like that - two beautiful and "expensive" colouring books for grown ups. They're so beautiful!! And a book by Gabor Mate (but I think I shouldn't read it right now because it's a bit triggering...) that one was 22 dollars, but worth it. And I just bought a bunch of things like that. Ingredients for smoothies, since I'm doing this 30 day smoothie challenge.

Also I told everyone on FB that I quit alochol.

I hope this time things are different..... I've already started to crave wine..... I just sent out an email to someone, now I'm stressing. This is a time (and it's only 11am) where I would have some wine to cope and not deal with the stress or worry or paranoia of them hating me, thinking the email was terrible, omg they never want to talk to me again, etc.... wine makes me not think of that.

So now I need a new way to deal with this constant worry and mental chatter.....

Anyway hope everyone is doing alright!!!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Smile

Well, I finally got the nerve to step on the scale. Oh my, have I ever gained. I have always struggled with my weight, but sort of kept it somewhat in check, but since we lost our Son, I frankly didn't care. Just think now is time to straighten everything out in my life.
I knew it would be depressing to see how much I need to lose, but feel as though I should face ALL my demons, not just drinking, but eating too much as well.
So, I am going to diet as well as not drink. I know exercise is important, but have done something to my knee and it is painful. Hopefully it will get better on its own and I can start a walking program.
So grateful to have SR in my life now. Having a place to lay it all on the line is really helping me....
Have a good afternoon y'all...
Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Checking in! Day 4! Woot Woot!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Count me in. June 1 is my "birthday". The day I started living again.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Fae

Originally Posted by Ringthedoorbell View Post
Well, I finally got the nerve to step on the scale. Oh my, have I ever gained. I have always struggled with my weight, but sort of kept it somewhat in check, but since we lost our Son, I frankly didn't care. Just think now is time to straighten everything out in my life.
I knew it would be depressing to see how much I need to lose, but feel as though I should face ALL my demons, not just drinking, but eating too much as well.
So, I am going to diet as well as not drink. I know exercise is important, but have done something to my knee and it is painful. Hopefully it will get better on its own and I can start a walking program.
So grateful to have SR in my life now. Having a place to lay it all on the line is really helping me....
Have a good afternoon y'all...
I'm really sorry to hear about your son.

Weight problems, they can be tricky... I have to lose weight myself. I've decided that in the first bit of sobriety I'm not going to try to lose weight. I might even gain a bit...I've been stuffing my face with delicious foods to try to get over these initial cravings. After awhile I will focus on weight loss.

Radiant Recovery, by Kathleen DesMaisons, is an excellent way to go, I would say. I absolutely recommend it. It's what I will be doing. She has done a ton of research on drug and alcohol addiction AND nutrition. So the first step of the program is actually adding things IN to the diet. I believe this will help me since I'm cutting something OUT and I really don't want to deal with any more losses right now!! So getting enough protein in the morning - that's the first step.

I'm also going to just try to add a bunch of veggies into my diet soon....even if I'm still having junk. It usually takes about two weeks atleast of stuffing my face to be able to even think of nutrition.

Ok I'll shut up now!!

I wish you well with everything...
Old 06-02-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Day 2 in the bag. Phew. First half of the day was pretty rough, and basically slept from 10pm - 3pm. After that began feeling decent, and was able to put a little solid food down. Medical issue is still there, but I believe my body is healing, and it's slowly dissipating now.

Physically, other than the fatigue, I'm fine. No real withdrawals. Cravings were there tonight, but sweaty yard work took care of them. Emotionally, not too bad, although I get irritated at the smallest things. Had some thunder & lightening tonight, which scares my dogs, and I actually got irritated with them for not giving me more than 4 inches of space.

Neighbour (who's back in Canada -- wife & kid are across the street though), sent me another e-mail suggesting I may have bi-polar or schizophrenia. I'm surprised, because I'm quite confident he knew about my drinking, as we talked every day or two, and I'm sure I didn't hide it anywhere near as well as I tried to.

Anyway, on with day 3! Good luck June class!
Old 06-02-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

BTW... one recurring theme I see in the replies here. Everyone's different, so it's to each their own, but it almost seems as though many of you are trying to pile on too much during early sobriety.

Exercise regiments, diets, finding a new job, finding new friends, new hobbies & activities, and in general trying to live a sober life. For me, when I've done that, I found myself just adding tons of unnecessary fears and unknowns on to my mind, which would make me revert back to my comfort zone behind the bottle. Now, I'm just worried about nothing more than the next 24 hours, and that's it. The rest will fall into place later, once I get some space between myself and alcohol.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Fae

I understand Troy.... I feel like I'm living in a fog but with one not-as-foggy day, which is always the present day....and in this day, I usually have like one thing I need to do, and even that feels like a chore. Like, today, I have a therapist appointment - that is my THING of the day. Aside from that, I'm sleeping and eating and listening to music (and posting here.....) and even that ONE THING takes a lot of my effort.

I have to wear pants again today...???? *sighs* Ugh, same as yesterday I don't care. I'll wear my indoor slippers outside I don't care....they look like sandals....anyway I'm rambling. Last year, in my many attempts to quit, I would try to be all sugar free perfect diet exercising, getting out and joining groups and stressing myself out....and the stress made me drink.... I didn't have a better way to deal with the stress yet.

Bah, I don't know what I'm talking about anymore....kay I'm off to my therapy appointment..... I put on pants.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
IAMLEO

Aaarrgghh

Only day two and I'm so frustrated and angry; ready to cry. I am totally missing the noon AA meeting due to some work being done on my house which should've been done relatively quickly. As "fate" would have it, the contractor just left - 11:59, but too late for me to make it. I really needed it to battle that 3-4:00 wine witch, and I find that AA really helps, much more than food, exercise, etc. DAMMIT!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Originally Posted by Sparkledust View Post
I'm really sorry to hear about your son.

Weight problems, they can be tricky... I have to lose weight myself. I've decided that in the first bit of sobriety I'm not going to try to lose weight. I might even gain a bit...I've been stuffing my face with delicious foods to try to get over these initial cravings. After awhile I will focus on weight loss.

Radiant Recovery, by Kathleen DesMaisons, is an excellent way to go, I would say. I absolutely recommend it. It's what I will be doing. She has done a ton of research on drug and alcohol addiction AND nutrition. So the first step of the program is actually adding things IN to the diet. I believe this will help me since I'm cutting something OUT and I really don't want to deal with any more losses right now!! So getting enough protein in the morning - that's the first step.

I'm also going to just try to add a bunch of veggies into my diet soon....even if I'm still having junk. It usually takes about two weeks atleast of stuffing my face to be able to even think of nutrition.

Ok I'll shut up now!!

I wish you well with everything...
Sparkle dust, You know I think you might be right. Maybe stopping drinking is enough on my plate right now. I think I am a little over zealous ...after all, I do have the success of one day with no drinking under my belt! (Wink wink)
I will definitely check out Radiant Recovery. Thank you and so much for the info.
Best of luck to you.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
BTW... one recurring theme I see in the replies here. Everyone's different, so it's to each their own, but it almost seems as though many of you are trying to pile on too much during early sobriety.

Exercise regiments, diets, finding a new job, finding new friends, new hobbies & activities, and in general trying to live a sober life. For me, when I've done that, I found myself just adding tons of unnecessary fears and unknowns on to my mind, which would make me revert back to my comfort zone behind the bottle. Now, I'm just worried about nothing more than the next 24 hours, and that's it. The rest will fall into place later, once I get some space between myself and alcohol.

Your mileage may vary.
Troy W
I think you are quite right. I am backing off the dieting for now. There will be plenty of time for that later.
I know I need to focus on one thing and one thing only right now. Guess I got a little carried away...
Hope everyone in the June class is doing ok.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I quit for a while recently and then last week began drinking again. I now realize that I felt like crap during the time I drank. Dreams were real weird, anxiety, waking up all drained and foggy with no motivation.

Now, I am recommitting myself to staying sober. I want those glorious morning wake-ups, full on energy/ready to tackle the day moments back (plus ability to work out at the gym regularly).

I'm all in for starting with day 1 today! Thanks for the encouragement. Let's do this!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Welcome to June class OceanGuy. We got this!
Old 06-02-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Long time lurker, first time poster!

So June is going to be the month when I finally kick this destructive habit and go into summer with a new found health, extra cash and a clear head!

After a recent bout of gastroenteritis after visiting Spain, I haven't had a drink since May 25th, and haven't wanted to - so I'm going to try my best to keep riding this wave.

Count me in!!!