Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 3)

Old 05-26-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4thekidz View Post
Day 19: 50 shades of blah Ho hum. Despite spring blooms, everything seems colored in shades of brown and grey. Exercise, whatever. Work, blah. Finished another novel, meh. Just not overly enthused about much. Looking for stimulation, finding none. Not depressed, not even melancholy, not anxious. Haven't heard from the parasite in days. These are the days when the liver has been cleansed, the body healing......but the brain seems to be in "standby" mode, waiting for some excitement....any. Good luck to all. 4
Those are the worst days. Hang in there!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Day 2 here. I really hope this is my last class. You all seem amazing.
I'm felling pretty good today. A tinsy bit of anxiety, but not bad. Lots to do today. My kids and I will spend the afternoon with my mom. We'll celebrate my daughter's upcoming 14th Birthday also. My mom will keep the kids for the night. So I'm going to need to be sting and not buy beer on the way home. I'm sure AV will think a kid less evening will be a good time to drink. But I'm not going to listen! One day at a time.

I wish you all a great day!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Francis Vainstraw

Dear friends,

I'm joining you in abstinence, starting today. I've drank the final glass of my favourite beverage, white white, and gazing though my living room's balcony, alone as usual when I'm drinking, realised the futility of feeding my escapism with alcohol for half my life so far.

I've been drinking immoderately for twenty years (I'm 41), mainly to forget a very strong inferiority complex that I've systematically tried to mitigate with compensatory narcissism. I've been living in ethylic fantasy, all the while avoiding my daily responsibilities as a father and as a teacher.

I'll be posting here every day, as regularly as possible, sharing with utmost sincerity my thoughts on my new life. Will you join me, with your experience, your hope, your advice?

Yours,

Francis
Old 05-26-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Welcome, newbies!! Any lurkers out there who are on the fence about quitting are running out of time to join one of the greatest classes EVER! Get in here and let the healing begin.

Just a quit post before I rush out the door. Day 20 for this chick! Woohooooo! I want to say to the person who was blah today that I was there and I think if you put on your favorite music (as long as it's not the Moody Blues or some other depressing stuff), and just passively let it come into you, then after a while start tapping your foot, working up to singing a song, I promise you you'll be wearing a grin soon.

Bbl. Got a one-hour dog sitting gig. Tough duty if you can get it! Gotta go make 2 dogs happy. I'm up to the challenge. When I return home I will resume cleaning and sorting. Going to take me all week but that's what you get when you are cleaning up your life after years of drunken neglect.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Quick check in to start day 19 here. Got to get ready for my first real day of work soon. I could really use another hour or ten's sleep.

Glad to see so many checking in sober this morning after the long weekend. This truly is an amazing group of people. It's a blessing to see recovery in action.

Welcome to the Class of May 2015, Vainstraw. There's a ton of great wisdom and support to be found here. I look forward to getting to know you better!

Talk to everyone later today. Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

I guess I should join the class of May 2015 since I am on day 3 of freedom. I have created a couple of other posts and find it works quite well to share what I am feeling and also reading the other posts. Never though I would be writing this kind of stuff as I never though I had a problem. Anyways its great to be here and part of something positive.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4thekidz View Post
Day 19: 50 shades of blah

Ho hum.

Despite spring blooms, everything seems colored in shades of brown and grey. Exercise, whatever. Work, blah. Finished another novel, meh. Just not overly enthused about much

Interesting post. I'm still in a bit of sensory overload myself. But, being an adrenaline junkie - I imagine I will get to a boredom phase. You doing anything you are passionate about for yourself?
Old 05-26-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
nmd

I'm hopelessly behind on catching up with posts, I apologize if I haven't responded to anyone. It might take me a few days.

I had a small fire on the exterior of my house yesterday. No major damage, and no one was hurt, but very scary. I was sober and mentally present and was able to hose down the fire while the fire dept came. The cause is unknown, but just glad it was a minor incident at this point. If anything stressed me out to the point of wanting a drink to relax, this was it, but I then I thought what might have happened if I were passed out and there was a fire. I had a drinking dream last night that I had given in and drank. It was a huge relief to wake up and know I hadn't.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Day 8.
Back to work. URGH!
I hate my boss, I hate my boss, I hate my boss.
I have issues with authority, I have issues with authority, I have issues with authority.

Ok - I am going back to work.
I will stay focused, I will stay focused. I will stay focused.

You all have a good day.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you and your house are ok, nmd!

Keep on popping in here to vent, realE!

So glad you joined us, QuitForSon! This class has been a vital part of my recovery.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Hi Vainstraw,

part of your post "I've been drinking immoderately for twenty years (I'm 41), mainly to forget a very strong inferiority complex " made me think about my own drinking in that I had from a very young age an inferiority complex due to my father verbally beating me down at every chance which also resulted in me being very shy. When I got older and found booze I just loved it as it took away the shyness and a lot of the inferior complex at least while I was intoxicated. But after 20+ years I found that I was not that shy around people anymore while not drinking but I would still drink anyways. Now I have finally realized that I am addicted and enough is enough. I have wasted to many years to let this carry on any longer.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Welcome QuitForSon!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Ending day 23. Recovering well after my big fall with the mountain bike. Hope to be ready to do it all again this weekend. Maybe just leave the hectic obstacles till I have healed completely.

Some really good things happening in this class. Hope to hear all of the successes for a long time to come.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

nmdand freedom- glad you're both okay!

Welcome Vainstraw and Quitforson! And good job on day 2 ChickChick!

AK- that tony goose is the cutest thing ever. I want to cuddle it. Sadly, I do not get along well with adult geese, but that's a story for another day. Glad it's stuffed buddy got to go with it.

Past the 2 week mark now, which is great. I've forgotten what day I'm on a lot lately, or haven't thought about it, which is kind of a nice change. I feel less like I'm white-knuckling it and more like this is just my life now. Taking advantage of our last days of cool weather before summer hits this weekend.
I have some work this week so I'll probably get behind on posts again, but I'm glad to see everyone is either doing well or coming right back after a slip and jumping right back in!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

I had a scary dream last night that I was on a sinking ship like Titanic. Somehow with complete chaos all around me I managed to get to safety while other people around me did not. Kind of a metaphor for my life right now.

Day 24...getting close to a month now. Day 28 was my downfall last October so I need to stay stronger than ever this coming weekend.

Also I got the app on my phone now so I can keep up better. :-)
Old 05-26-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Hey guys – just checking in to stay on track. I’ve been tired lately, but my cravings aren’t as bad as yesterday and I feel grateful for that. Looking forward to a sober day.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vainstraw View Post
Dear friends,

I'm joining you in abstinence, starting today. I've drank the final glass of my favourite beverage, white white, and gazing though my living room's balcony, alone as usual when I'm drinking, realised the futility of feeding my escapism with alcohol for half my life so far.

I've been drinking immoderately for twenty years (I'm 41), mainly to forget a very strong inferiority complex that I've systematically tried to mitigate with compensatory narcissism. I've been living in ethylic fantasy, all the while avoiding my daily responsibilities as a father and as a teacher.

I'll be posting here every day, as regularly as possible, sharing with utmost sincerity my thoughts on my new life. Will you join me, with your experience, your hope, your advice?

Yours,

Francis
Welcome Francis,
I too have been drinking for a very long time ... 30 years. Mine to cover loneliness, whether with people or not, I've always felt lonely.
Maybe because we know why we've been drinking for so long it might help? I do hope so.
I've just completed 8 weeks and I'm getting better at daily responsibilities, but my loneliness rages, a longer job I think.
Good luck to you,

xx
Old 05-26-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Hi all and welcome newbies.

Hope you're all well! Tough day for me, wanted a beer after work but didn't have one. Feeling tired and grumpy today, hope it passes soon. Nearly the end of day 3.
Have a good day, evening, night wherever you are. X
Old 05-26-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

This is what helps me. How many days/weeks/months of sobriety until, at least from the neck down, you will have a completely NEW you? One that NEVER experienced alcohol? (Notice however your brain cells don't turn over, the originals are there for life):

Cell biology by the numbers

When in doubt I go the geek route.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Checking in, day #5.

Just finished my first, completely sober, long holiday weekend since the Labor Day weekend right before I started college.

That was in September of 1974, over 40 years ago.

It's about time, right?