Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 42

Old 01-02-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

That was a great post, Toots!
Old 01-02-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

No, Toots, didn't make it to midnight. Good sleep was more important than seeing another New Year. It was there when I woke.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Greets to the New Year Undies. Off to see my vagabond daughter who is at her mom's about 2 hours away. She is in from Denver. A mess up, not her fault meant she could not go back Tuesday so she stayed the rest of the week. She was to come up Monday and visit me and I was taking her to the airport on Tues eve, but all changed. Will be nice to get out and about.

Take care Undies!
Old 01-02-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

Dax - There is something powerful in being rigorously honest with ourselves, and nothing can compare to being accepted and understood by another. I didn't realize how closed off I was in active addiction; cracking myself open scared me half to death, but is transforming my life from one based in fear, resentment and wanting more to one of peace, joy and contentment. Keep up the good work!

Toots - Great post. You are the epitome of recovery by "we" instead of "me." My former sponsor would be impressed! (Who am I kidding; she'd find something wrong with it). Thanks for being a safe deposit box for so many peoples' issues and concerns. I always wanted a sister I could confide in and giggle with; it just took me 40 years and a computer to find one!

Saskia - You've made a transformation from counting days to settling into sobriety. Keep up the good work.

Carlos - What's your recipe for a lucky new year? I hope you're enjoying a peaceful, happy, joyful Jan 2.

BoozeFree - I'm glad you're feeling better. Listening to music and sipping on tea sounds like a very nice way to recuperate. I feel like listening to some good live music in the New Year.

Drake - I hope you have a nice visit with your daughter. Have fun.

Have a wonderful sober weekend Undies!
Old 01-02-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hi undies.
Made it thru the day of womp still sick. I thought I was getting better but it's still hangin on to me. I noticed I feel super depressed and don't know why. All day I felt so bummed like I could almost cry but havnt. It's left me feeling uneasy bc I'm still not used to dealing with different feelings. Since I can't pinpoint where it's coming from I thought I would at least post here about it.
Think I will watch a little tv and go to sleep early
Old 01-03-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

BF, sorry you aren't feeling up to par! My recent flu lasted about 11 days and has been followed by the blahs. The hardest part for me has been to get moving again. I hope you feel better very soon!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hello undies---Hope everyone is ok!! I'm doing great---I've had a few lows but, nothing I can't get over--I just come on here and get encouragement from you.
It's stormy here today so, plan on a little cleaning. like I said on another thread===let's see if I do it. ha ha --now that I'm home all the time I keep thinking I can do that later on next week. I need to give my self a kick in the butt and get going on these small projects. For all of you that are sick please take care of yourselves your not going to get better any sooner if you don't.
hugs to all of you==and thank you for being you.
Babs
Old 01-03-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Hi undies

Today was blah. Still in a funk. I did go to the doctor finally bc I still wasn't feeling well and got some medication. I've been up since real early today so hoping to sleep better this evening.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Feel better soon BeFree don't let the blahs get you down get out in that fresh air!
Old 01-04-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Babs - I've struggled with motivation in recovery. Alcohol was always the carrot dangling in front of me to get through the drudgery. Without that, I get lost at times. Breaking large projects into smaller steps helps. So does fresh air!

BoozeFree - You've had a lot going on - between the loss of your friend, the service, and spending the holidays with relatives who use. Over the years I've found that the pain often comes after the crisis. Keep your eye on your recovery - help your friends who are struggling, and reach out when you are.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Good morning, Undies!

Wow, it is so quiet here. For awhile my month's thread was quiet and this place was hopping but now it has reversed. I hope this thread will pick up steam again also. I get different perspectives here and that's valuable, too.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Thanks Glee---
Fresh air it is---I'm going to walk the Mall and see what happens there. Not sure what I have in store for the day just going to get out for awhile.
Have a great day everyone. AV came around yesterday for awhile but,kicked it to the
curb. ha ha
Babs
Old 01-05-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Babs, the early months were a real challenge for me. I felt the need to put a good face on it but I struggled. Coming here to both Marchers and Undies was enormously helpful. Although I swore I'd never go to AA again, when I was nearly a month sober I did start going. I certainly don't agree with everything and some things irritated me. However, for me the f2f was more important than I had realized. And I discovered that the things that irritated me turned out to be very helful in my recovery. I've made some friends that way, too! Isolating just wasn't healthy for me. Added to that, my intensive outpatient program gave me a number of tools. Perhaps one of the most important things I gained from all three was a strong feeling of accountability. That helped me through a number of rough spots. If I feel at all tempted, I now automatically run through in my mind what a slip would mean and that's enough now to stop me. I don't expect smooth sailing all of the time but do feel much more solid :-)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

This past Saturday I had a really stressful day--stressful to the point of raging fury, as bottled up as I could manage to keep it. I absolutely thought, I NEED A DRINK!!!

But actually, I know that a drink wasn't what I needed. What I needed was to take a deep breath and take five minutes as soon as was humanly possible. I managed to defuse the situation. What I was experiencing was a primal scream, not a desire for a beverage to make my head temporarily muddy.

I needed to calm my attitude. That comes from turning things over to my HP--even screaming at him if the need arises.

I once saw an image of a little kid who was trying as hard as he could to pummel his dad, but the dad just held him at arm's length, so all the kid could do was flail. That's what I reminded myself of with my HP. Eventually I ran out of steam.

Ann, who frequents the Whiners and F&F threads here, has a saying: "The difference between a bad day and a good day is about two days." I have found that to be absolutely true. I'm level today, and I plan to stay in close contact with my HP for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Gilmer glad you were able to work threw it!

Feelin a little better today. My bummed mood seems to have moved on. I'm glad I didn't drink over it. Now if I can just get rid of this lingering cold.
I did some cleaning around the house while listening to a Ted Nugent album and some other records.
Back to wompland tomorrow so gonna take it easy and rest up.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I have a cookbook by Ted Nugent and his wife!
Old 01-05-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

(((Gilmer)))! Sorry you had such a tough time. I'm constantly amazed how all of you who have been sober for longer manage to deal with "stuff". It's a great example for me. I hope life stays a bit calmer for you.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Wonderful post Gilmer, a reminder that Dr Feelgoods cure all is not what we need after all...turning to alcohol doesn't help us 'cope' with the ups and downs of life, it takes away our ability to deal with them. Years of emotional avoidance makes early recovery a nightmare for even the psychologically strong.

Babs, I feel Sass has a strong point in her post. I hope you don't feel I am speaking out of turn here, but we have gotten to know each other well enough I hope to accept honesty. I feel that you are too ashamed of your alcoholism ( or unhealthy relationship with alcohol if that is an easier term to consider) to seek outside help. You have recently become aware that your family know more about your drinking than you had perceived, so it is not quite the secret you imagine it to be.
I am so glad you have SR to come to, as I know personally that the support here is amazing, but I feel that you would benefit in the longevity of your recovery, by f2f support. I feel that acknowledging our disease out loud to real, three dimensional human beings, helps us to accept it, and to accept responsibility for controlling it. I know that you know you cannot continue through life as you have been, take it from a drunken sot of a grandmother who realised in time.
Drunk and haggard was so last year daarling, sober is the new black. Seriously Babs there is no one on SR who would be happier to see you graduate from Unders to Overs, and the thing is, even if you don't believe it quite yet, you do have it within you to do just that. Make 2015 the year you prioritise your sobriety. Own it. Which means I know, you have to own you alcoholism first. But we are here to hold your hand, go for it Babs. Xx

BeFree, goo to hear you are beginning to feel better, and how much nicer is life without the guilt and regrets brought about by alcohol? X
Old 01-06-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

HAPPY 1 MONTH ANNIVERSARY, BABS!

Old 01-06-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Babs, HUGE congrats on 1 month sober!!! That is a big milestone :-)