Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 3

Old 08-28-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
I'm feeling overwhelmed. Which is bad. School. Bills. Not sure if I've made the right choice. It will take me a year longer to complete my rn degree than i had thought all because of an error on my part with pre requisites. The course loads will be lighter but i just want to get it completed and start making a living wage. This normally would be good cause to drink myself into oblivion. I ate and walked away from the computer and my ever growing lists of to dos.
BBF, please do not drink. Glad you ate.

I can work myself up over stress and my to-do-list and have justified drinking over work stress. People used to say to me "drinking won't help"....arrgh...I can't stand that phrase because i'm not an idiot. I know it won't help. I just needed a quick release and escape from reality. It did work for about 10 minutes and then it was pure hell for the next 2-3 days. It is so not worth it. Plus I gained a ton of weight because I ate things I wouldn't normally eat when I was drinking.

Do something good for yourself instead...go for a walk/run/bike, read a chapter of a book, treat yourself to a coffee or ice cream, listen to a funny stand-up routine, take a bubble bath,...then when you feel better go back and tackle
your list. It won't seem as daunting.

You got this BBF...your teammates are here to support you!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

No worries. .. not gonna drink. Just venting.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

I'm on my own with my kids today and overnight and tomorrow and tomorrow evening through bedtime. Sigh.

Headed to the store and I'm gonna grab more sparkling water and ICE CREAM!

Any new drink recommendations. It's not good that I'm getting bored with mine already.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Any new drink recommendations. It's not good that I'm getting bored with mine already.
I LOVE the flavored sparkling waters like La Croix (cheap) or Perrier (more expensive). Reg sparkling water with a bit of juice is good (grape juice, apple juice, berry juice). Good root beers like Virgils (real brewed) or Henry Wineharts (draught style) are also awesome.

Hot tea wise, before bed Chamomile (w vanilla) or Sleepy Time can be good. Sleepy Time lives up to its name for me. I'm usually asleep about 20 minutes after drinking it.

Most nights though, I just drink a lot of normal sparkling water (I get cases of San Peligrino at Costco). It still give me the "full" stomach feeling that I like and doesn't have any calories.

hope that helps!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

The sparkling waters are what I've been doing, tea when chilly.

A root beer may be a good treat for this weekend.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

My kids and I drink a lot of seltzer. I'm pretty boring and stick to one flavor but there are very,very,many flavors which my kids really enjoy.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the new members of #TeamAugust!

Grateful today for:
-my funny, loving children
-Being sober
-Clarity
-Hope
-a sunny 70 degree day
-Biking
-Beautiful bike trails
-Good reads (currently reading "Chocolate Shop", "Treasure Hunt" by Andrea Camilleri and "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp - just delivered to me today!)
-Better brain function in work, crochet, and problem-solving
-Loss of some stomach fat (I never weigh myself because I fluctuate so much with water and muscle weight...can tell just by how I look, feel, and how clothes fit)
-No bloat
-Glowing skin and eyes
-Endless Possibilites...

Take good care of yourself #TeamAugust. Remember...you are worth it!

Old 08-28-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  
ph7

Im going with Cherry coke today. I've been having 1 carbonated drink each evening this week. Some sort of treat I suppose. I wouldn't drink them before. It was always fizzy cider.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
I like the Pink Grapefruit Perrier either on its own or mixed with the sugar free V8 Splash (fruit/veg) drinks.

If you can find it there is a lavendar syrup that I sometimes add to sparkling water. It's a beautiful purple color and so delish it actually tastes and looks like an adult drink. They sell it at the botanic gardens near me but you could probably find it at a fancy grocery store.

If I don't want all the carbonation I just make my cucumber mint water...just slice cucumbers and add to regular water with fresh mint leaves....can add lime juice and agave syrup if you want...very refreshing, hydrating and helps remove bloat very quickly.

I am also always looking for NA drink recs. I'm looking to create my own mocktails too...need a drink to bring to family get togethers since the only choices are soda or booze...learned the hard way that I really do need to bring my own NA drink as they just don't get it

This will be fun...let's get creative #TeamAugust...
Old 08-28-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dingodog View Post
My husband doesn't have this alcohol problem, he really doesn't understand why people can't just put it down, or moderate. He doesn't even believe its a disease it all. He says its lack of willpower, and just plain old being selfish! I wouldn't wish this disease on anyone, but he truly doesn't get it.
My drinking has escalted in the past nine years. I never ever dreamed I would be this bad. I started out a a social drinker for many years. So yes, this is a progressive disease, and it scares me.
This ^. My husband is pretty similar. In some ways he is very supportive, but in others, like in a basic understanding of this disease, he's a little lacking. He too views it a personal failing, rather than a disease. He can moderate his alcohol intake, so why can't I? that sort of thing.

Also, it has absolutely been progressive for me. When I tried to sign up here earlier this year and start getting help/posting, it said I was already a member (!) and I had to get my password emailed to me. Apparently that was because I had started an account 8 or 9 years earlier (probably while drunk b/c I don't remember doing it) and then never posted or came back. All of those years - in between - it absolutely progressed.

Anyway, thanks for those of you who wished me luck on my first mtg. It was a good experience and I made a couple of new sober buddies IRL. Hung out with one of them last night and am going to another meeting tonight. One day at a time, right.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Adirondack seltzer works for me; I love the strong carbonation. I quit drinking diet colas a few years back. I will occasionally have a diet orange or grape soda.

Today is my Day 13, and my AV started this afternoon while I was running errands. I reminded myself that I have a treat tonight - - a massage at a spa about ten minutes from my home, and I drove through McDonalds and got an ice cream cone. When I got home I had a message on my home phone that the massage therapist had to reschedule as she went home sick. My disappointment is over-whelming. I am also feeling sad, lonely, meloncholy, you name it. The AV kicked up again, but I had crackers and cheese and seltzer. I will eat my dinner early, walk my dog and try to find something to read or watch on television.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Welcome to avra, scooterboo, rubycanoe, and anyone else who recently just joined this class of August. Wow, we are growing to be a huge class here! You're gonna love it here. Well peeps I picked up my recovery books 2day, starting with the small book by jack trimpy. Already, I'm amazed with it. I'm kinda new to the idea of rr and avrt, and this really explains it well. Can't wait to delve into the other 2 books too. Loved the fact it was all for free 2. Loving the library these days. Someone posted a question about binge drinking books to read? I'm not familiar with any of those, and id have to scroll back to find the poster, but I do remember someone asking. Maybe someone can shed some light for them? Unless I already missed it. I can't seem to keep up with team August, this class is way busy! Loving it!
Just thinking of you all, and checking in. Limited sleep last night, so will probably call it a day very soon. Wishing all a blessed sober today, nite, afternoon, wherever you may be. Let's keep on rolling ahead team.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

And scooterboo, I'm just a few years behind you in the age bracket.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

I'd like to join this group if I can. Yesterday was my day one sober day.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Good job scooterboo! Sorry you're feeling so down. I've been that way a lot lately myself. Keeping busy does help, so great idea on a book or movie. The feelings will pass, that's what I keep telling myself.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
I'd like to join this group if I can. Yesterday was my day one sober day.
Welcome! Glad to have you. Always room for everyone. Day 3 for me.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Mrryah1: Welcome!!

Scooter: Good job dealing with the sneaky AV!

Regarding the NA drinks: I've also been meaning to try ginger beer again. It's like ginger ale, but a lot spicier.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Welcome to new folks, it's a great thread.

Hope everyone is doing well. I had a good day today.

Flavoured water is my favourite - grape and blackcurrant tonight.

I am travelling tomorrow and visiting another office location which I associate with drinking so conserving energy for tomorrow and an early-ish night for me.

Soon the weekend, I am actually starting to look forward to the weekends now. Not for drinking as previously, for the possibility of doing something completely new and different

Stay safe and sober everyone :-)
Old 08-28-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Bumblebee, thanks for sharing that. Its hard enough to quit when you have good support, but so very hard when your special other just doesn't get it! We are not alone! Enjoy your meeting.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

My fav NA drinks are lemon water, low calorie juice drinks, love grape, pink grapefruit, just about all fruit drinks. And instead of a bloody mary in the am,(cause we won't be needing one now) I really love low sodium v8 juice with about a quarter tsp cayenne pepper! Yummy. Love spicy, then a stalk of celery to dip in it while drinking. Sooo good!