Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 3

Old 08-28-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Evening everyone.

Sorry to hear some of you are struggling a little tonight, Penkins and blackbird. I think I'd be right there with you if I didn't have a sober trip already planned for the weekend. Particularly due to the fact that I had a Tuesday deadline pushed back today. Usually that's cause for me to lose three or four days. So ridiculous in any sort of rational analysis, yet that's who I am. I'm glad you both have pushed through the day and I hope you'll lean on this board for support over the weekend as needed.

For me, today was largely okay. AV just grumbled a bit here and there. Nothing too major.

In any event, I'm glad I'm still here with you all. Let's get through the weekend and start on our first sober calendar month together!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Wow! This class is on fire! So many posts and newcomers....too many for this old guy to comment on lol...but, we are all in this together, and together we can get through this!! A few pages back I wanted to comment on a post and I finally have the time....

Originally Posted by Raggletaggle View Post
I hope it helps but I have to be honest...the novelty is wearing off...I feel on the brink of sabotaging everything because the truth is I kinda do feel its too late. And it's my own fault.
RagTag, your simple statement should be an inspiration to everyone! Early stages are tough, then a few weeks go by and the "novelty" of being sober wears off. The AV tries to convince you "see, I told you so, you don't have a problem, look how easy it was to get under control!" Then we start to believe it, then we test it, and find out he was lying to us yet again! We wonder why we can't be normal, why can't we drink like "normal" people? A few months ago, my Missus asked me why I want to be a normal drinker? She flat out told me that it wasn't normal for anyone to drink! Why do we need alcohol to have a good time, to not be shy, to be the life of the party, know what, she is right! Why can't people just accept each other for who they are?

So classmates, read RagTag's statement, really read it, let it sink in, ponder it....then ask yourself , is being sober a novelty, or a way of life?

I don't know much about you RagTag, how old you are, your circumstances, but for me, that simple statement brought tears to my eyes! And I can't thank you enough!

So teammates, we have a challenge ahead of us, who is willing to be sober one day at a time? If you forget the destination, the journey doesn't really matter..

Old 08-28-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Hi all! Beginning of day 12 for me and a weekend for me here in this part of the world. Such a great feeling to wake up early and hang out a cafe, rather than being hungover and laying on the couch all day.

Have a great sober day everyone!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by northof49 View Post

RagTag, your simple statement should be an inspiration to everyone! Early stages are tough, then a few weeks go by and the "novelty" of being sober wears off.

So classmates, read RagTag's statement, really read it, let it sink in, ponder it....then ask yourself , is being sober a novelty, or a way of life?

So teammates, we have a challenge ahead of us, who is willing to be sober one day at a time? If you forget the destination, the journey doesn't really matter..

These statements are all so so true. The AV is so cunning, it conveniently tries to make you forget all the pain of withdrawal and all the misery. We have to be on our guard against it.

For me, I keep referring back to the withdrawal diary I kept. Line by line it describes how I was feeling in week one and it's just hopelessness, despair and real physical illness. I also have a list of harmful things I did drinking and the people I have hurt - I am still adding to this as I think back.

One day at a time is also great advice and works for me. It's so simple but so tough. I was having a good grumble to some AA guys earlier in the week along the lines of "poor me, I have to come here for ever rah rah" Again, the AV at work in mysterious ways. All they said back to me was "you only have to come today, tomorrow is tomorrow. If you don't pick up a drink today, you cannot get drunk today" The second part of this really does kick the AV hard!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Hey all. Happy Friday. It looks like we might actually see some SUN in the UK today after a grey week.

To our sober friends across the pond, I know it's holiday weekend. It was the same last week for us in the UK so I know the feeling of anticipation mixed with the dread of the social stuff and maybe your first sober holiday for a while. You all can do it. You all helped me massively last weekend to get me through the long weekend....so lean back on us to get you through!!

You have the Brit, Irish, Aussie contingents and everywhere else in the United Nations of Team August to vent at ! I know the lovely Knb02 will be up for helping too! Post away and my tip is take each day at a time. Holiday commitments stack up and I know looking at them all in a row is almost overwhelming. Go by hour if you have to!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
Hey all. Happy Friday. It looks like we might actually see some SUN in the UK today after a grey week.

To our sober friends across the pond, I know it's holiday weekend. It was the same last week for us in the UK so I know the feeling of anticipation mixed with the dread of the social stuff and maybe your first sober holiday for a while. You all can do it. You all helped me massively last weekend to get me through the long weekend....so lean back on us to get you through!!

You have the Brit, Irish, Aussie contingents and everywhere else in the United Nations of Team August to vent at ! I know the lovely Knb02 will be up for helping too! Post away and my tip is take each day at a time. Holiday commitments stack up and I know looking at them all in a row is almost overwhelming. Go by hour if you have to!
What a nice compliment to wake up to sthlondon. Lol. The sun isn't shining in my area bit I feel on top of the world today.

Wow North. Loved reading your post . Will comment on it later as well as catch up on everyone's posts.

It's 7.20am and I up early. I didn't sleep well last night. Nothin on my mind. Just too much energy yesterday. I am sure it will balance itself out.

Speak soon. Off to Tesco's for a food shop. Gonna look for ingredients for the non alcoholic Bloody Mary as well as the cucumber water. Thanks for those tips.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Sthlondon;they are predicting sunshine next week so many we shall have a lovely summer still.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Sthlondon;they are predicting sunshine next week so many we shall have a lovely summer still.
Excellent! I feel like I missed a lot of it in dingy bars and pubs, or in my living room.

Sun is out here, really makes a difference to the way I feel. Sending some 100 miles north for you :-)
Old 08-28-2014, 11:38 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Hello everyone just checking in. Welcome to all the newbies! Got a 2nd interview tomorrow. Hope it goes well.. tired of searching haha. Everyone have a great night and STRONG Friday. Don't worry about the WEEKEND. Take it Day by day. Hour by hour. Minute by minute. *HUGS*
Old 08-28-2014, 11:40 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some of you may not know me - I've been offline for a week moving house - but I usually look in on all the monthly groups in a casual kinda way

I'm looking forward to meeting & getting to know any newcomers in this thread

I recommend the weekenders thread as an extra support for anyone struggling...and these anti-cravings tips are golden
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
D
Old 08-28-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Some of you may not know me - I've been offline for a week moving house - but I usually look in on all the monthly groups in a casual kinda way

I'm looking forward to meeting & getting to know any newcomers in this thread

D
Nice to see you back Dee and I hope the move went well :-)
Old 08-29-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really love my new house, so all the pain was worth it sthlondonab

D
Old 08-29-2014, 01:57 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Hey Guys,
Glad you all moved in Dee, I hope you have a great time in your new digs.
Its great to read everybody's posts and everyones honesty about yheir AV struggles. I have it easier because I am out of town on the farm with no driving license. However I found 2/3 of a bottle of red wine my partner had hidden behind the cookbooks.
I was shocked at how strong the urge to drink it was. I left it there a moment and listened to the voice in my head rationalising that 2/3 of a bottle couldnt hurt. But I made a commitment to myself not to drink today - so the wine went down the sink. I think the posts I read on here last night helped.
Thanks guys - reckon you have really helped me out tonight!
Heartfelt thanks.

My last slip was left overs from my partners home stint and I always seem to struggle at around the 2 week mark.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

I only have a minute before the start of a busy day before a 3 day weekend, that I am very nervous about. I hate that I don't trust myself. Anyway, day 9 for me and I plan to spend lots more time on here the next few days. There have been so many topics I want to comment on and so many great posts I want to thank you for. This is such a great group
Glad to see you back Dee, you sure were missed.

I mentioned yesterday that last Labor Day weekend, Saturday in particular, I blew 43 days sober. I allowed my addiction to convince me that sneaking 4 beers in my bedroom would make house cleaning and decorating for fall more satisfying and relaxing. And here I am a year later, still struggling to get through a week or two or three. It only takes one drink to get right back into he cycle again. Don't believe the lies our AV tells us. It does matter, it's not a "reward", and "everyone " doesn't drink like we do. All lies.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe everyone can get through this weekend FABL,

Think about the long term over the immediate - whats more important - a drink this weekend, or the sober future you want?

I really think there's no contest

D
Old 08-29-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Hi newcomers

Crazyfairy welcome.we have the same sobriety date.

1st step: Did you get a call from your ex? I am definitely an all or nothing person. I can never seem to do anything in moderation! I guess that’s my addictive nature. If I am drinking then I am on a seafood diet. I see food. I eat it.

Applekat:Thinking about the miles you ran..I have probably run about 15 miles this week so that would average to about 60 in a month. I cant sustain this tho. Surely I cant. But I got the buzz and I am determined to lose the ten pounds I have put on this year.

Rah555: Is your husband a heavy drinker too? I would find it challenging to be with a heavy drinker while trying to abstain. During my black outs I would have bruises and cuts, burns. Gosh pleaase never again

Perkins and bblack; Well done for beating that AV

Determined:great post. Thank you
Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
I only have a minute before the start of a busy day before a 3 day weekend, that I am very nervous about. I hate that I don't trust myself. Anyway, day 9 for me and I plan to spend lots more time on here the next few days. There have been so many topics I want to comment on and so many great posts I want to thank you for. This is such a great group
Glad to see you back Dee, you sure were missed.

I mentioned yesterday that last Labor Day weekend, Saturday in particular, I blew 43 days sober. I allowed my addiction to convince me that sneaking 4 beers in my bedroom would make house cleaning and decorating for fall more satisfying and relaxing. And here I am a year later, still struggling to get through a week or two or three. It only takes one drink to get right back into he cycle again. Don't believe the lies our AV tells us. It does matter, it's not a "reward", and "everyone " doesn't drink like we do. All lies.
About four years ago I managed to not drink for five months. Then my AV said I can moderate. Yer right! FOUR years later of non stop struggle, blackouts, self hatred, depression, fear and here I am once again. But this time accepting that I am truly powerless over alcohol.

We cannot pick up that first drink.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
is being sober a novelty, or a way of life?
Northof 49! Wow great post! That HUGE statement really shouted at me.Its so true!

Sobriety is a way of life and its all I want. I want to face all my emotions sober. I don't care how much it hurts.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
Excellent! I feel like I missed a lot of it in dingy bars and pubs, or in my living room.

Sun is out here, really makes a difference to the way I feel. Sending some 100 miles north for you :-)
sthlondon. I am still waiting for this sun you are gonna send. Stop hogging it
Old 08-29-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

My Caroline Knapp book arrived today!

Thank you Higher Power for keeping me sober today. Forever grateful