View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  
BumbleBee

Originally Posted by dingodog View Post
My husband doesn't have this alcohol problem, he really doesn't understand why people can't just put it down, or moderate. He doesn't even believe its a disease it all. He says its lack of willpower, and just plain old being selfish! I wouldn't wish this disease on anyone, but he truly doesn't get it.
My drinking has escalted in the past nine years. I never ever dreamed I would be this bad. I started out a a social drinker for many years. So yes, this is a progressive disease, and it scares me.
This ^. My husband is pretty similar. In some ways he is very supportive, but in others, like in a basic understanding of this disease, he's a little lacking. He too views it a personal failing, rather than a disease. He can moderate his alcohol intake, so why can't I? that sort of thing.

Also, it has absolutely been progressive for me. When I tried to sign up here earlier this year and start getting help/posting, it said I was already a member (!) and I had to get my password emailed to me. Apparently that was because I had started an account 8 or 9 years earlier (probably while drunk b/c I don't remember doing it) and then never posted or came back. All of those years - in between - it absolutely progressed.

Anyway, thanks for those of you who wished me luck on my first mtg. It was a good experience and I made a couple of new sober buddies IRL. Hung out with one of them last night and am going to another meeting tonight. One day at a time, right.