Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 3

Old 08-28-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Hi folks. It's late in the UK. I did a rediculously long workout tonight so I am shattered. 15 mins of weightlifting and then ran nonstop for 50 mins! A week ago I couldn't even manage 20 mins.

Don't know where this energy is coming from. Good night all. Stay strong
Old 08-28-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Grateful: I ordered the Caroline Knapp book last week and it's on it's way. I may get it tomorrow
Old 08-28-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dingodog View Post
My fav NA drinks are lemon water, low calorie juice drinks, love grape, pink grapefruit, just about all fruit drinks. And instead of a bloody mary in the am,(cause we won't be needing one now) I really love low sodium v8 juice with about a quarter tsp cayenne pepper! Yummy. Love spicy, then a stalk of celery to dip in it while drinking. Sooo good!
Definitely gonna try this non alcoholic Bloody Mary. I also love spicy too and I bet it's really filling
Old 08-28-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Wow! Posted last on Tuesday, and just caught up with the posts! Great going everyone, too many to reply to but Ive read and taken in each and every one.

As for me... Well still sober, its the end of day 11 and Ive had my girls for the last couple of days and didn't have internet access until tonight. They're both fast asleep now after watching Frozen DVD for the 100,000,000th time! Feeling a lot better the last couple of days- had a really good AA meeting Tuesday night and its really helped me, missed you guys and girls though and glad to be back on here.

My ex is in a wedding reception tonight so hoping I don't get a drunken phone call, Going up to my dads farm tomorrow morning so looking forward to seeing my girls reaction to the animals up there.

Keep going everyone one day at a time...
Old 08-28-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Bumblebee thanks for your story. I am in a similar place with husband's support. Also, I really, really don't want to stop posting here even with slips and them log in next April (a year from joining) or years later and say, I'm back. You are so very right with the progressive nature. Let's kick this now!

I picked up some coconut water which is growing on me, and some pomegranate sparkling water for a new flavor. I've done so many flavors. When winter comes I'll get back into my teas again . Reminds me - I would drink my "detox tea" last winter while still drinking. And exercise while still drinking the calories + right back in. Sigh...

Long night solo with little ones so I declared movie evening in my bed! Legends of Oz! So cute.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm really interested in finding pink grapefruit flavored drinks, and also intrigued by the lavender mention. Is anyone doing any juices or detox drinks of their own? I love the skinny water too as I call it - lemons and cucumber and mint.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Knb pass along that energy!!! A few months ago I clocked 60 miles for the month. I would love to hit 40-50 for September. But my energy is zapped and the kiddos are in rare form lately. Maybe if I actually sign up for my next 5k it will force the running again.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

I always go on a health kick when I sober up esp after the first couple of weeks are done, isn't it so strange that we treat our bodies so bad when we drink and when we sober up we go to the other extreme (same with exercise)- its all or nothing whatever we do!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
I'd like to join this group if I can. Yesterday was my day one sober day.
Mrrryah I saw your post in the Newcomers section. Welcome! Please post away here, too. Thinking of you!!
Old 08-28-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Hey Team August.

I haven't posted much this past week. Not sure what's going on with me. Feeling very sad and depressed. Like I'm a stranger in my own life. Isolated and unwanted from co-workers, friends, and family. There really isn't anything going on to cause me to feel like this. I have no energy at all. Watching tv or reading sounds too difficult. It's 6pm here and I'm already showered in pjs ready to just go to sleep. I can't even begin to see myself doing any kind of exercise. Stupid holiday weekend is coming up and AV has been bugging me in a soft little whisper. If he was screaming I could probably handle it a little better. Well maybe I just think I could and that;s another dumb idea. That little soft voice saying it's a holiday and everyone will be drinking and I haven't had my DOC since August 5th and I want that taste and feeling. Last weekend I bombed a 16 day sobriety period. And with stupid wine and beer. I say stupid because I'm not a big fan of wine or beer. My AV is saying I'm stupid to loose it over that. If I was gonna break it I shoulda gone with rum, my DOC so that I could at least truly enjoy it.

Thanks for listening gang... and welcome to all the new friends of Team August. I'm ready for the weekend to be over. Wouldn't mind one bit if I came down with the flu and had to stay in bed all weekend
Old 08-28-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

White knuckle day. Driving home and have off of work until Tuesday. Sunny day and good tunes on the radio. I am on day 11 and was thinking I could have a few and try the moderation thing just one more time. I would not drink until late afternoon and then only 3 or 4... I was thinking of stopping to buy a case but caught myself and realized that I am at the turning point where I feel better so I might not really have a problem.

I started reading the posts from everyone and felt like I had 50 supportive friends in the car with me at the red light! I also realized that all of us struggle to break this feel good now I can try again cycle. I know it will be right back to a beer at 10am, buzzed all day and thinking I am in control enough to function, then black out and crippling anxiety. Lather, rinse, repeat...

if we take away the cause, the effect will cease. I drove right past the store with a resolve I felt strengthen.

Penkins, I have been very low and going through the motions too. I think deep down I have not been allowing myself to celebrate my days sober because I think it is a matter of time before I relapse again. In short I have not truly believed I could do it. Moreover, I have felt a little bored and socially awkward. I now think I am just feeling real emotions and they will pass if I ride it out. Sure beats drinking and a 100 percent guarantee of depression tomorrow. Ride it out Penkins, it will pass.

I am thinking that we can win the AV battle if we support each other and keep posting even when we feel good. That seems to be the most critical time if we are going to take this all the way.

You know what a big shot is? They are little shots that just keep on shooting. Love and hugs all! This is possible.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

thanks determined! doing my best to ride this wave. currently watching football w my hubby n neither of us has a drink in hand. feels odd. . but good
Old 08-28-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Freakin awesome Penkins! Great job. You will both be healthier and happier tomorrow. Nothing beats that.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Hi everyone super proud of you all. Welcome newcomers!

Today marks 15 days. No alcohol no cigs. Today definitely would have been a drinking day. Stressed out and feeling kind of down... to echo penkins. I was feeling very much like a failure today. Perfect reason to drink. I'm a duck-up that's what duck ups do. I'd of drank 6 or so while my son was in school then driven to get him. Then I'd of picked up 8 more on the way home. And smoked a pack of parliaments on the patio all day.

But I'm so happy I did not. Made dinner and brownies. I'll probably have a bath and tea later. I've been on my treadmill every week day for the past week and a half. I've been getting daily tasks that fall behind when drinking done. I'm currently cuddling with my five year old daughter watching cartoons and listening to the cicadas I have a lot to be thankful for and need to let those stressor slip away.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

way to go blackbird!! awesome!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Welcome Mrrryah1 and all newcomers we are so glad to have you on the A-Team !! As for NA drinks I love ice cold water (sparkling or still) with squeezed lemon (lots of lemon), diet 7up (ice cold), coke (not diet (shame on me!)), most fresh squeezed fruits and veggie juices.
Love and hugs to you all on this glorious day 17. I know not all days are easy so I will gladly take this one! Warmly, Chris
Old 08-28-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

We'll played blackbird. Attitude of gratitude.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Today is day 6 sober! Feeling good about it. I'm planning events for the weekend that don't revolve around alcohol. I've been troubled by the guilt I feel for the things I did in my blackout binge drinking episodes. I know in the past I've acted like a real jerk, didn't treat some people right, and embarrassed myself and my husband. How do I overcome this guilt?

I have a hard time talking to anyone about my issue. I don't even really talk to my husband about it. With the exception of one, all of my binge drinking episodes have occurred with my husband. Same story everytime. The night starts out innocent enough. Dinner and drinks in the bar at a local restaurant. One beer, 2, 3 etc. why not we're having fun meeting people and talking. Then instead of going home we head to another bar for live music and dancing. I remember events up until this time of the evening. Then it's dancing and more drinking. Then my blackout. I must fall down a lot because I usually end up with bumps and bruises but don't remember how I got them.

I've been fighting this battle for a few years now. I tried the moderation thing. That works for me sometimes but eventually playing with fire ends up with me getting burned. My husband doesn't have this problem like me. Although there were a few times he had blackouts. I haven't told him that I am trying to abstain completely. I guess I haven't said anything because I've said it before and then gave into my AV. I guess I thought it would be better to just do it.

Your posts are so helpful, I see me on many of them. Thank you for sharing your stories, your struggles and your joys!!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

You too rah
Old 08-28-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Well done all. Fighting the good fight!

Get good rest so we we can beat this weekend!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Hi, I am new to this sober life. Am on day 9 today and going great guns! Not naive enough to think it will always be this easy though, glad I have found SR. X