Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 3

Old 08-28-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Forabetterlife, thanks so much for the tips and ideas on how to deal with that AV. Its truly relentless sometimes, and oh so sneaky, evil, and a lier.
Restlessanon, thanks for reminding me how powerful just be grateful is. It truly removes doubt and depression when you truly focus on how much you do have. Thanks.
Knb02, thank you for always be here and responding , reaching out. Wow, you are truly inspiring, and amazing. So glad you are in team August! And big congrats on day 8!
Lulu, stay the course. Its really not worth a setback. Starting over and over like I've done, is self defeating , a waste of your true time, and talents. You can beat this!
To the rest of my team, hoping this finds you all well, and staying sober.
Will check back with all of you later today. Have a great day all.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
Knb02, luv this. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulu212 View Post
Hey KNB! I was a wine and champagne drinker - 2 bottles a night during the week, sometimes 2.5 and the weekend 4 a day wouldn't seem crazy. This has been going on, maybe not so bad, since Beginning of 2012. There's really no explanation of why I drink - probably loneliness - but then I've pushed everyone away in isolating and drinking at home. The fact that I've kept my career going this last year is nothing short of a miracle. I know I can't go back but man, just struggling these last few days.

It's ok though - I'm going home in a bit - immediately putting pjs on and hankering down. No booze today.
Yep those are my kind of drinks too. Wine, Cava and champagne.
So considering you drank that amount of alcohol you are doing AMAAAZINGLY well!
No booze today. We all don't need this stuff. We think we do but we don't. That's just our addiction talking.

I think the more sober days one has, the more it becomes normal to deal with every day life.

Being on Day 8 means that I have not drank 8 to 10 bottles of wine, saved myself £60 (usd99.00), and not consumed 6000 calories.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Count me in to another 24. I almost caved into the AV last nite and have been justifying my decision to later buy a bottle of wine for tonight. But I WILL NOT!!! I've got 13 days and I WILL NOT start over tomorrow morning.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cleomie View Post
Count me in to another 24. I almost caved into the AV last nite and have been justifying my decision to later buy a bottle of wine for tonight. But I WILL NOT!!! I've got 13 days and I WILL NOT start over tomorrow morning.
Counting on you Cleomie. Do it for our Class A
Old 08-28-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rubycanoe View Post
Hi,
I am starting all over again to be sober! I think I drink from loneliness and shyness and anxiety.Not sure , but it doesn't help. Just makes me feel bad the next day. So I am very excited and happy to begin a journey to sobriety hopefully one day at a time. Glad to be in class of august 2014.
welcome aboard rubycanoe!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 77Ginger View Post

So I logged back in and read that sticky thread that has all the details with what alcohol does to each part of your body. That did that trick. One or two isn't worth it.
i think i missed this sticky thread. can you resend that? i'd love to see it. thnx!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Been lurking, now want to join

I have been following this group since August 5th and finally decided to join. I want you all to know that your posts have helped me tremendously this month. I am drinking carbonated flavored water, green ice tea and eating ice cream. I have come to realize my AV calls to me when I am hungry so I am eating every few hours.

I am a 61 year old retired woman. I have had a drinking issue for at least 25 years, sometimes drinking more than others. Since retiring four years ago my drinking has steadily escalated. I live alone and do all my heavy drinking at home. I belong to a book club and occasionally have a few beers before going to it. There is one woman there who is overbearing, and when it is her turn to lead the discussion, she always turns it to sex. At one of our meetings in July, I had had it and I called her on it - - told her I was sick of her thinking every book was about sex. Well, the next day I apologized to her, and she told me she thinks I pick on her whenever I have had a few drinks before our meeting. That was my wake-up call. Until then, I foolishly thought nobody could tell if I had a few drinks before a gathering. I took a good look at myself - - overweight, huge, bloated face,etc.

I stopped drinking on August 8; but when our book group met on the 13th, I did not want to act any differently, so I had two Lite beers at the meeting, and abstained again on Thursday, the 14th. On Friday, the 15th a friend had a pool party and made frozen Margaritas. I somehow managed to have just one, again because I do not want anyone to know I have a drinking problem and have quit (crazy thinking, huh?)

So, my official AF day is August 16th, although I had seven completely sober days earlier in the month.

I need to lose at least 30 pounds. I am thinking of trying low-carb; this would also let me easily abstain from drinking at book club meetings and other parties.

I do not want people to know I have a drinking problem. For some reason it is a real issue with me.

I am thrilled that today is my Day 14, but very apprehensive. I am also bored. Drinking lite beer or white zin was a major part of my life. This forum, SR in general, has helped me stay busy. I know I need to get more active. I have a few friends, but they have families they are involved with.

I am looking forward to being a member of August, 2014.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

welcome scooter!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Good morning class!

Day 5-- Well, things don't always go as planned, but at least I can handle them better when I'm not hungover!! Planned on taking a restorative yoga class last night to deal with the restless feelings I was having--plans change. One of my children had a minor medical issue, so we dealt with it, and I moved on to doing my own yoga series at home. My little one was well taken care of and I still found a little peace. Flexibility--something I have none of when hungover--every change becomes a crisis and sets my nerves on edge, then I drink....

Thinking about the long haul and what steps I may need to succeed and not find myself relapsing again. Looking at what I've learned, what tools I have, and what perceptions may need to be altered. I don't have the answers, but looking closely at the question. Will plan on simply doing my best and making every moment of this day the best moment it can be.

MV
Old 08-28-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Day 10! Whoo hoo.

Welcome Scooter and everyone else. Very active board and that makes me absolutely thrilled.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

I know some of us feel bad about past actions at times, myself included.

But, "forget regret".

"No day but today."

We can win this, ATeam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (20.3 KB, 54 views)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Welcome Scooterboo. Enjoyed reading your post. When I was a daily drinking I was really worried about my bad breath. I always wondered whether people can smell the alcohol on me. Its nice not to think that anymore
Old 08-28-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mvngon View Post
Good morning class!

Day 5-- Well, things don't always go as planned, but at least I can handle them better when I'm not hungover!! Planned on taking a restorative yoga class last night to deal with the restless feelings I was having--plans change. One of my children had a minor medical issue, so we dealt with it, and I moved on to doing my own yoga series at home. My little one was well taken care of and I still found a little peace. Flexibility--something I have none of when hungover--every change becomes a crisis and sets my nerves on edge, then I drink....

Thinking about the long haul and what steps I may need to succeed and not find myself relapsing again. Looking at what I've learned, what tools I have, and what perceptions may need to be altered. I don't have the answers, but looking closely at the question. Will plan on simply doing my best and making every moment of this day the best moment it can be.

MV
Great attitude MV
Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Day 10! Whoo hoo.

Welcome Scooter and everyone else. Very active board and that makes me absolutely thrilled.
Double digits yeehaawwww!!! Good for you Applekat. Good for you
Old 08-28-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Welcome Scooterboo. Enjoyed reading your post. When I was a daily drinking I was really worried about my bad breath. I always wondered whether people can smell the alcohol on me. Its nice not to think that anymore
Thanks for the welcome. I keep sugar-free mint chewing gum in every purse, car, desk drawer, etc.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

This is a link to an excerpt from the book "Drunk Mom". This book terrified me right from the very title. I didn't even want to have the book out in the open. What a terrible title. But it just calls it out from the get go. This book is not for the faint hearted as she is a blackout drinker with a baby. Anyway, if anyone wants to read a few pages to remind them of where they don't want to be...here you go.

Jowita Bydlowska: Confessions of a drunk mom
Old 08-28-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScooterBoo View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I keep sugar-free mint chewing gum in every purse, car, desk drawer, etc.
Ha ha so did I. Tons of sugar fee chewing gum. But sometimes the alcohol seeps through your pores.

I work in retail and I have smelt alcohol on many customers. They most likely had a couple glasses of wine with their lunch but the whiff is so strong.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Feeling much better today. No AV angst this morning yet. May be the fact that I have work commitments this afternoon, which helps keep it down. I'll take what I can get.

I already have sober plans for the holiday weekend so that should help me get through that.

Sounds like we have some new folks. Welcome. This is a really great and active group, which really helps in those tough times.

I commit to you all that I will not drink today. Sober wishes to you all.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
This is a link to an excerpt from the book "Drunk Mom". This book terrified me right from the very title. I didn't even want to have the book out in the open. What a terrible title. But it just calls it out from the get go. This book is not for the faint hearted as she is a blackout drinker with a baby. Anyway, if anyone wants to read a few pages to remind them of where they don't want to be...here you go.

Jowita Bydlowska: Confessions of a drunk mom
Gosh. That was hard to read....it brought back old memories of when my son was a baby and I would have black outs too. Oh the shame of it.I still get very emotional thinking back at those times. Very scary.

I don't ever want to be this person again. Ever. Thank you for reminding me Applekat