5. My inner peace ( less anxiety)
5. My general good mood
6. My self esteem growing
7. Loving myself again ( finally!!!)
8. Less paranoia
Old 08-26-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
Morning classmates! I guess Anna thought our grades were good enough to move us up one level to make room for the new class starting on Monday!

I'm doing good, taking it one day at a time....some days it's easy, other days, not as easy...but with AA, SR, and Team August, I'm even more determined to beat the demon for good this time!

For a bit of inspiration for all of us, my Uncle, who is like a second dad to me, is also an alcoholism survivor. He texted me last night to let me know that his AA home group will be celebrating his 50th year of sobriety on Oct 16th! So, you know where I'll be that night! When I first put down the bottle, he was one of the first people I contacted for help and support, I told him I would never see my 50th year sober birthday, but I would die trying! I still believe that....

To all my teammates old and new, have a great day and always remember where you came from, just don't let it get in the way of where you're headed....
Why. Inspiring post about your Uncle. I like your signature too
Old 08-26-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sober808 View Post
Hi Team August-
I am not much of writer. Many of your posts have given me inspiration in the mornings, determination during the day, and most important comfort at night. You are all such great story tellers.
Today is day 23. SR is a 24/7 must for me. I have been drinking for 32 years. Daily for last couple. I remember in college having beers at 7am before kick-off and thinking I cannot do this. I'm gonna puke. The months leading up to quitting you could find me with beer, wine or vodka/oj In a red solo cup as I drove off to work with my 7 year old daughter that I drop off to school first. I own a small business and I would text an employee to stop and grab a 6pk or a bottle of wine for me. I actually believed the alcohol helped me run my business. Around 3-4pm I would go get my daughter with red solo cup. And proceed to soccer, hip hop, gymnastics. How did I make it without hurting anyone or DUIs is a miracle.
When we got home I continued with having a drink in the bathroom as I showered. Then drank till bedtime. Sleep would become my biggest obstacle. Night time would be literally my darkest hours as I would drink to get back to bed. That was a futile exercise. The anxiety and loneliness that ensued was overwhelming.
I have been addicted to klonopin for 8 years. Finally stopped in March. How? I goog how and many users suggested booze of course. Alcohol, klonopin and ambien... My trifecta.
Enough babbling so I wanted to join Team August and didn't know how or really what to say. I hope I didn't bore you. As we all know it is a struggle. Just to function as husband, father, friend, provider was a huge task for me before. Now throw in sobriety... It's like fighting f ing King Kong every day.
My Dr gave me two pieces of advice;
A. Your wife and daughter will not be equipped to provide the support you need nor is it fair to burden them. Thank you SR brothers and sisters!!!
B. That not IF but WHEN you relapse.
Anyway I am proud of myself for posting. Looking forward to our Team's journey together (ups/downs, good/bad, triumphs/defeats).

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
--Christopher Robin
sober808, SO glad you joined us !!!! We are a sober family here and we are here for you !!!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 8 today (I do really want to stop counting days. I think I will do so). I will not be drinking today.

Welcome sober808. I can relate to a lot of what you said, as I've found myself in a number of similar situations. There is nothing like those moments of clarity in the middle of that nightmare. As I said eight days ago, my kids are my main motivation for quitting. Wish I could say I've avoided all legal troubles as you seem to have, but isn't the case for me. Fortunately nothing has this far effected work, and I'd like to keep it that way, obviously.

1step, sorry to hear about your difficulties with you dad. I don't have any experience in a similar situation but can only imagine how difficult that must be. I hope that this weekend goes well for you and the kids.

I hope everyone has a good day and stays strong. Post when you are in need
Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I wish I could stop counting days. It's tiring but at the same time I have a competitive nature, with myself, and I've found for me counting days helps. Otherwise I too easily say, screw it for today. The more days I accumulate the less easily I give in I guess. Not that that has totally worked, obviously. I've still slipped.

I just did some quick math and I have 111 sober days out of the past 145. Hmmm. Something I guess. This time last year it was probably 11 sober days out of 145.

Alright, for those getting (back) into fitness I just did 30 minutes of an upper body fix workout on dvd. Ah, hello arm and ab muscles. I also need to pick my next 5K to sign up for!! I did 4 last year and aiming for 5 this year.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone! 13 - I like counting days so I think I'll stick with it for a while TX, each day it grows a little bigger and that feels pretty darn good!

Welcome Sober0808! - love the Christopher robin quote. Thanks!

Love all your grateful's Knb - Stay away from that ex of yours, sounds very toxic. My life is nearly 100% better since I dropped mine, except for this pesky alcohol addiction. Ive been hopping on my treadmill too lately. The goal is to get on it for 30 minutes- M-F and hopefully have a better bod by the new year ... 30-40 lbs.

Have fun at the beach Apple! Are we talking ocean beach or lake beach?

20 days PH7!!!!!1

choobie, I like your avatar! Happy about your belt!

North 50 years of sobriety? that rocks!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Lake!!

I agree with days building and feeling good!
I also know several people for which counting didn't help bc they would make it to about the same day each month or two and slip.

I have lost about 20 pounds since last October just by adding treadmill and keeping up on Cabernet intake through April (pathetic). I called it my baby weight from two close pregnancies but it was really a combo - Cabernet and chicken nugget diet truth be told. Barf.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

lmao, Cab and chicken nugget diet! I eat an embarrassing amount of ketchup with my chicken nuggets. I think I'll abstain from both wine and McD's.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Last week I tried to abstain from both wine and caffeine. This week I realized that was too much too soon. Back on a bit of caffeine this week. Can't give up on all vices at once!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

yeah, I thought I'd try a 3 day fast/cleanse thingy last week and started having AV attacks like mad. "Beer is a liquid, that could be in your fast..." So I ate a sammich. Baby steps. I will always drink coffee!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Bbbird and applekat..two people into their treadmill. I like it.

I have a treadmill too and I look forward to getting back on it and working out on a regular basis. I too want to lose weight. I have been on two runs since giving up the alcohol but it will take time to rebuild my fitness level.

I usually run 3km on my treadmill. It takes me roughly 33 mins. I hope I can beat this by the end of the year.

I know if I don't drink then my fitness level will soar through the roof. That is a super great goal to achieve.

I also want to run a 5km one day....I am sure I can. Just got to stay focused
Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
yeah, I thought I'd try a 3 day fast/cleanse thingy last week and started having AV attacks like mad. "Beer is a liquid, that could be in your fast..." So I ate a sammich. Baby steps. I will always drink coffee!
I love my coffee too. I tried drinking hot water with lemon but its all way too healthy for me at the mo.
I may try giving up the caffeine after a month of sobriety. But first things first.

But trying to eat less carbs for now.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Knb that is exactly the pace I am at right now! My treadmill has accumulated a nice layer of dust in the past 2 years. Keep us updated on how its going!

I'm going to increase the pace by .1 each week... hopefully reaching 6 mph in 4 months.

A few years ago I ran a 20k! My time was horrible, 2 hours and 45 minutes. I want to do the same race next year and in less time! All these goals pop up when I'm sober, its a good feeling!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

bblackbird: 20km!!!!! No way!!! you must be a marathon runner. Lol. I could never run that long. I think my legs would drop off
Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yes its a really good feeling to have these goals.
I never think about my fitness nor wellbeing when I drink. Just guilt and despair

All I cared about is when to get my wine, where to get my wine, when shall I start drinking.... and the same the next day..and the next day..and the next day. In the meantime feeling like sh't because I would feel guilty of what I was doing to my liver.

Madness. Utter utter madness.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Yes its a really good feeling to have these goals. I never think about my fitness nor wellbeing when I drink. Just guilt and despair All I cared about is when to get my wine, where to get my wine, when shall I start drinking.... and the same the next day..and the next day..and the next day. In the meantime feeling like sh't because I would feel guilty of what I was doing to my liver. Madness. Utter utter madness.

I with y'all. I just started the whole 30 program and am exercising 5 days a week as a goal. 2 days down and I feel great!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I really want to encourage and support all of you who are working on their fitness goals. When I first started exercising, gentle walking was all that I could manage. In time, my walks became longer, then I added hikes. From there some "Crossfit" style classes, and on and on. When I relapsed, all of these things became more difficult and probably less productive, but in my sober time, they meant the world to me. Something about those endorphins and feel good hormones really kept me going.

So glad to be back "on the wagon" and getting full enjoyment from my activities again!! Today was an early morning kayak trip that couldn't have been any more beautiful. So much better that sleeping late and struggling to get through...

Best to everyone!!

Much love,

MV
Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good morning #TeamAugust! On day 3 after my slip up and I feel like I'm getting stronger every day.

I'm still catching up on the posts, I hope everyone has a great sober day!

Oh and I pledge not to drink today no matter what! Who's with me?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

All this talk of coffee has got me thinking about how much I want one!
So I've gone and made one. I must say, it makes a nice change from the ridiculous amounts of nettle and peppermint tea that I drink now... tee hee!

It's a very quiet day at work today so I am concentrating on my writing. Naughty I know, but it keeps me out of trouble! I've had a bit of a moan up at our estate manager as I've ordered quite a lot of stuff online over the last month and whoever manages our post room hasn't opened it for the last 3 weeks! I wouldn't mind so much but some of this stuff is from the US and Japan and I'm not having it returned to sender by the Correos because someone either cannot be ARSED or can't COMMUNICATE the situation! It may be that he/she is on holiday but... GET SOMEONE ELSE TO SORT IT OUT!!!

I have to chime in about fitness things too... I'm noticing the weight just melting off now I've stopped drinking, and to be honest, that's reason enough to keep off the poison for me. I have been trying for so long to lose weight and now it's actually working... I cannot and will not sabotage this! Just need to get back running again once the summer comes to a close (it is FAR too hot to run at the moment). Oh and I am a sweater...

This is something that has perplexed me for a while. At my heaviest (and drinkiest) I weighed 99kg (about 220lb). I'm down to 82kg (180lb) and still have a looooong way to go. The thing is, I sweat all the time. At the gym, walking outside in the summer, just all the time. But it doesn't smell, which is weird. Of course, the doctor said I should just lose weight, which is helping. My PT said it meant I was healthy and hydrated... I think since I've stopped drinking I don't sweat so much, but could it just be that I lost weight? I have no idea. But I suppose I will find out!

Just need to kick the cigarettes now and I may somewhat resemble a kinda healthy person!! *shockhorror*

Have a great Tuesday afternoon!
xxxx
Old 08-26-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Double digits....day 10 for me sans le booze or le cigs.

I simply can't believe it. Nor do I want to get complacent and yes in the grand scheme of things it's not earth shattering but for lil ol me it really is.

And it really is from all the support I have received here...the sharing. The humanity of it all really in people's honesty and struggle and victories.

So inspired by the healthy tones of late I am going out to run 5 km. and I will not drink. Go ATeam!!!!!