Notices

Class of March 2013 part 30

Old 08-05-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Hi Babs! Good one sneaking in with the funny one liner. Hahaha!

Still pretty dullsville around here but I don't mind.

I'm with the group Sass. I think you have a whole ton of sober years a head of you.

I didn't hear of an explosion Marcher but I'll watch for a tsunami that you may have started with the bursting of pride over DD. Im landlocked so I should be okay.

Better day at work...for me anyway. I just hid in my office all day working. But I guess the owner and the IT woman got into a huge yelling fit which resulted in her walking out...last seen flashing a certain finger at a certain person. Glad I missed that one. Small company so my guess is there will be a cooling off day, a meet for coffee and I'm sorry day and then back to normal. If she plays it right she will get a promotion and a raise...like I did. Except I exited graciously with no yelling or finger waving so she may have missed her opportunity on that one. Always leave them wishing you weren't leaving...not glad you are. Haha.

I learned that on what not to do when drunk. I'm pretty sure most people were glad to see me leave then. Double haha.

Later!
xoxo

Oh oh..was over at man friends last night and after dinner I'm plopped on the couch reading and posting on here and he asks me "what are you doing". I said talking to my cyber friends. Mind your own business. Lol. He said you have cyber friends? I said yes. Lots. From all over the world. He said oh. Good for you. And that was that. He cracks me up.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Shoes, tell him: 139000+ adoring fans.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Still slow in Buddville. Have a cold, voice is shot, so of course the phone rang all day!!!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Sorry you're sick, Budd!

Old 08-06-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Thanks for all your good wishes! I want to be like the rest of you -- I still expect the temptations will hit at times and i know i won't feel wonderful all of the time
but I want to get back to a more "normal" and calmer life. You all are inspirations for me!

Babs, Snaggle, Life and anyone still in the throes of becoming sober, I feel a strong connection with you because I know we've had some difficult slips while our class-mates seem to be swimming right along. However, I do remember back to earlier days when they were struggling, too. You help me too!

Shoes, I love your posts! They feel so totally "real" to me. You've got a solid outlook and you write so well.

Trachy, what can I say - you are a hoot - and - a - half. I love your sense of humor ... slightly off and dry and can really get me laughing.

Gilmer - I think of you as a "steady Eddie". You're always here for us and your sense of humor is poking through! Love the pic of the soup for Trachy :-)

Budd, I hope you feel better soon! I miss when you don't post for awhile. I miss our cafe cruises with the cabana boys That reminds me, I also miss Joygirl!

DD, you are quite an inspiration. It helps me to hear how tough things were before and see how much you're growing now!

Toots, you're always supportive. The few times I've felt irritated with your advice, it was because I wasn't ready to hear it. You are an enormously caring person!

(((Hugs))) to all!
Old 08-06-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Thank you, Sass!

You are a faithful and ever-ready poster with great wit and much wisdom. You are quick to comfort and encourage.

It is tough to face real problems without alcohol. It gets to the point where it is even tough to face the smallest decisions. Not only is it deadening us to the factors outside of us, but it is also deadening us from the inside out. The more we drink, the less interested we are--and the less interesting we are, even to ourselves.

I always knew I was petulant and immature when I drank--didn't stop me. Not till I was sober for a good while, though, did I start to understand that there is a "me" there who is worth treating with respect.

I've been conceited and self-centered all my life. When I got born again, I realized that I was created in the image of God, and therefore I was good as a matter of sound doctrine (sort of a theoretical truth); however, it wasn't till very recently that I began to see that the regular, wart-covered, day-to-day me has great value as well.

It is not right for me to treat others badly; but it is not right to treat myself badly, either. Keeping myself buried alive by drinking was treating myself badly. It took me a lot of months to realize that.

Drinking the proper way is a wonderful thing for many people. But it's just one of those things I can't have. The sting of it lessens as the months go by. I'll never sing in the Metropolitan Opera, either.

The more time goes by, the better I am able to accept the fact that I'll never drink again.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Gilmer, thanks for sharing that! When I've been in an extended non-drinking period (some years), I've found that I don't have to watch out for my hair-trigger temper the way i do now. I hate when I get really pissy because then I tend to lash out. I'm not that way when I've been sober for awhile. Your point about not treating ourselves badly, too, really hit home for me. I especially like the way you look at not drinking compared to not singing in the Met, either :-) What a healthy way to think about that!
Old 08-06-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

That wasn't original--that came from an old professor when I dropped out of his creative writing class because I just couldn't write fiction.

"That's all right, dear, We can't all sing in the Metropolitan Opera, either!"
Old 08-06-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

10462830_826883440657856_7990636135445691672_n.jpg
Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

I just signed up for my next class, Hebrew II. Fortunately, they'll give me access to the curriculum for Hebrew I so I can review before the next part. I forgot practically everything!

This ought to keep me gainfully occupied for three months!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

@Ken

Old 08-06-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

My hubby love Laurel and Hardy, for his Christmas one year I bought the entire CD collection of works. He has a wonderful childish sense of humour, anything in which person gets hurt, or anything to do with farts sets him giggling. Fortunately we share our humour!

I woke with a sore neck and a migraine. Just got up, but I feel I may need to head right back into a darkened room.

Sass I don't understand....... Some of my advice irritates you???? That can't be right, my advice is always perfect spot on and exactly what the person I am writing to wants to gear!
I do recall a piece of advice from Natty he imparted on more than one occasion in relation to AA and NA. Take what fits and leave the rest. One big plus of attending a f2f meeting in a new place is the possibility of meeting new potential friends whose primary interest is maintaining their sobriety. Perhaps look for any all women meetings though Natty also said attend as many different meetings as you can to get a flavour of them. All the best for tomorrow, I know that you have the intellect and internal drive to get the most from this, I am looking forward to your future shares.

Trachy, mom didn't put your pants in dads wardrobe by mistake did she?? If you were still drinking, there would be an easy reason as to why you were possibly pantless, when I was a road sweeper, we found all possible items of clothing on a Saturday and Sunday morning. I won't go into other things we found, but that should have been enough to stop me drinking 20 years ago!

Hugs to all, I'm off to find a quiet dark room
Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Toots, I found the top of the pants, now I can't find the legs.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Booked my flights for Illinois, Oct 3-6. Friday and Saturday will be hanging out with the bowling crowds and Sunday with the non bowlers, Fly home early Monday.

A few know I retired my shot glass, but a few don't, so I will have to keep my guard up. I don't think it will be a problem.

Sass, I think I posted long ago about making choices everyday. Just as most of us will never sing at the Met, I also looked at it as drinking is just one more thing I wont do today. As well as, rob a bank, drown a kitten, jump off the roof of my trailer, and many other things. Getting the proper mindset and accepting the results really helps.

Gil, glad to see you heading back to school!

Trach, I couldn't count how many times I woke up without pants, shirt, shoes. I always kept an overnight bag in my car just for such events.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Toots, I've heard that one about "take what you want and leave the rest" so many times I just want to scream! In theory I can see it but my little rebel inside absolutely *abhors* that saying. Every time I hear it I feel like I'm hearing nails on a blackboard. The last time I went to an AA meeting there were two old biddies there who just had to get in my face. One insisted to me that one isn't considered "sober" until one has been going to AA meetings for at least a year AND has worked through all 12 steps. The other said it only works if one goes to meetings every single day. I felt like asking them to show me where in the big book it says that! Even though that was the women's meeting I had gone to years before when I got sober, I never went back and never wanted to go to an AA meeting again! I get so pissed that I find it almost impossible to leave it there. The other problem I had was that there were some of the same people from 12 or 13 years before and every week they just kept on saying the same things. And this is supposed to be the best and most open women's group around. Arrrrggggggg! I doubt it's going to get much better than that and I'm not sure I can stand that part of it. Everyone in these meetings seems to be a self-appointed expert in what one *must* or *must not* do. The first go-to around it was mostly a different group and was pretty good.

Okay, rant over!
Old 08-06-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

PS. I think the next time I hear that phrase I will go get a shotgun!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Thank you, Sass!

You are a faithful and ever-ready poster with great wit and much wisdom. You are quick to comfort and encourage.

It is tough to face real problems without alcohol. It gets to the point where it is even tough to face the smallest decisions. Not only is it deadening us to the factors outside of us, but it is also deadening us from the inside out. The more we drink, the less interested we are--and the less interesting we are, even to ourselves.

I always knew I was petulant and immature when I drank--didn't stop me. Not till I was sober for a good while, though, did I start to understand that there is a "me" there who is worth treating with respect.

I've been conceited and self-centered all my life. When I got born again, I realized that I was created in the image of God, and therefore I was good as a matter of sound doctrine (sort of a theoretical truth); however, it wasn't till very recently that I began to see that the regular, wart-covered, day-to-day me has great value as well.

It is not right for me to treat others badly; but it is not right to treat myself badly, either. Keeping myself buried alive by drinking was treating myself badly. It took me a lot of months to realize that.

Drinking the proper way is a wonderful thing for many people. But it's just one of those things I can't have. The sting of it lessens as the months go by. I'll never sing in the Metropolitan Opera, either.

The more time goes by, the better I am able to accept the fact that I'll never drink again.

Fantastic post Gilmer. I know directed at Sass but there's a lot there for me to take from. I'm struggling again guys. I am going to drink today. I've made that decision, clock watching for opening time at the moment. But, i'm not giving up. There's a womans meeting in the city this afternoon. I'm def heading to it. Hoping the more meetings I go to, the more it finally sinks in. I HATE being an alkie, it's exhausting and consuming.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Life, you can change that decision!!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Life, you have free will yes but you also have intelligence and experience. Have you ever applied the brakes and had a close call when driving? Well here is a brake for you: not

Insert it into here: "I am going to drink today"

I am not going to drink today
Old 08-06-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers What an interesting exchange last night, I will have another thorough read over later today. Trachy I hope you find the legs of your pants.

Life please look at my suggestion above. Isn't it next month that you go before the Board again re registration? That's a lot to throw away. Today may be a hard day when you'll feel like you want to drink so post here every time you can sneak away with your phone. I'll be checking in all day and I won't be drinking along with you. Hold my hand?

Have a good sober day peeps.