Notices

Class of March 2013 part 30

Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Glad you posted on here and didn't cave in!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey y'all. Snaggles having a really rough time today.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ed-honest.html

If you have some time, send her some encouragement.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers

Trachy those out of the blue cravings can knock you for six. I still get them sometimes and sometimes at the most outrageous times, I've learned to breathe through them and let them go. It is after all a craving, a wanting, a strong desire not something that must be done for survival and that's what I tell myself. HALT is also a good lifeline -- check out if any of those apply to you and act. Really I think the important thing is to accept that it will happen although it will get less and less.

I went through our seed envelopes yesterday -- what a lovely feeling to be planning the spring vegetables! We really need to plant tomatoes soon if we are going to have them for Christmas -- I guess that's a funny thought for a lot of you? For me garden tomatoes by Christmas is a yardstick of the seasons.

Have a good day peeps.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

I hope you are feeling better Gilmer.

No big deal Budd. You know how this quitting thing works. It does when it does. Smoke awhile and then just try again. As big a pain smoking is, it's still better than drinking. IMO anyway.

Blahhhhhhhhh! Crappy day at work. I got nothing.

Oh. Yes Toots 17 months no drinky and 8 days no smokey. I'll be honest. I'm kind of bored. But I know it's just that empty feeling. It will fill with something. I'm just not in a big hurry to fill it. But I won't fill it with anything negative. I'd rather just have the empty feeling than do that.

I wonder how Sass is doing?

xoxo
Old 08-04-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Thanks Trachy, and how wonderful that even when you are upagainst your own sudden cravings you still make time to seek support for other. You are a big teddy bear. Xx
Old 08-04-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Sass - I did 30 days inpatient, a week of PHP (partial hospitalization; basically day rehab from 9am to 4pm) and almost 6 months of IOP 4 days a week. Along with AA, it all put me on the right path. As long as you are open-minded, honest and willing, you can and will succeed.

Fun story - I was in at a meeting last Tuesday night sitting next to this guy who seemed familiar, but I see a lot of people come in and out, so I didn't really pay it any mind. The topic was humility so I shared on how I've learned to overcome my narcissistic tendencies but putting others before myself. And one of the ways I do this is by bringing AA meetings to rehabs and psych wards/detox units at hospitals because kind people did the same thing for me when I was in rehab. So I finish and this guy raises his hand and faces directly at me. "Did you speak at xx hospital around Christmas of last year?"

"Yes I did," I replied, feeling a bit uncomfortable because you're not supposed to talk directly to another person during a meeting. He continued, clearly not taking into account the rules against cross-sharing, "I was there when you spoke. I was in there because I tried to kill myself and now I have 7 months sober."

His image suddenly popped into my head. I remembered him so clearly. Disheveled, yet optimistic. He had asked me what meetings he should go to when he gets out. He had thanked me profusely for coming to the hospital. And now, he was thanking me again. No one seemed too concerned with the rules at this point.

Ever since I've gotten out of rehab, I've hoped to see one of the speakers who came to my facility to thank them. It never occurred to me that I'd be the one being thanked. I'm so grateful my story has helped even one person.

The old me would have let this go to my head. The current me simply uses it as motivation to continue helping others because I owe my life to rehab and AA.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Wow.
I wish I was at that meeting DD. I would have been crying like a baby in the third row.

Jeez. Most people go their whole life and never hear that. I feel lucky that I even know someone that happened to.

Well done DD.
Yes. What we do and what we say and how we live does make a difference.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
I got nothing.
Quite the opposite Shoes, you've got so much that we all smile even when you drop by with 'nothing'.

DD your Aussie Mum is bursting with pride in you -- if you hear about a woman exploding south of Sydney, that will be me.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

That's beautiful, DD. I am very happy for both you and him.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

DD that is immense, and wonderful motivation for continuing the good work you do. And if those you heard hadn't spoken to you, you may well not have been around to speak to this guy. Let's hope he is able to pass forward the good deed in time.

Morning Marchers, nowt to report here as yet today. X
Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Tie yourself to the mast today, Trach. You don't drink. You're a person who doesn't happen to drink. End of story. Torturing thoughts are just that--thoughts.

I have heard it said that cravings only last for seven minutes. Urge surf during that time. You are a scientific guy! Dissecting the nature, timing, and buildup of the temptation from above will no doubt come naturally to you. When you're in the midst of it, just step back and observe it like a fascinating phenomenon.

In seven minutes (plus some cherry--typo cheery--ice cream), it will be gone.

How is the backpack training going?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

DD, I loved your sharing about that guy and also your description of the program you went through.

The addiction counselor was very blunt with me. She noted that in spite of my efforts to date, even with the long gaps, drinking for me just gets worse over time, as it does with alcoholics like me. I need to deal with this now. With my 70th birthday looming, if I don't completely and permanently stop, there won't be a chance of many more. I think that no matter what I knew, there was a small corner of my brain that still hoped I could drink moderately and occasionally. Ain't gonna happen! I think I'm finally moving toward facing that fact, no holds barred. I think i will always need to be watchful and even though I haven't been thrilled with AA so far, unless I can find a SMART Recovery meeting nearby, AA is my best bet for the long run. As part of our program (which is not 12-step based), we are also required to attend at least one support group meeting per week - so that will likely be AA.

It's scary in some ways but feels good in others :-) SR will also remain part of my life. You all are so supportive!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

You, too, Sass. We are just people who don't happen to drink. You can do this.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a feeling you'll have many happy sober years ahead Sass. Go for it

D
Old 08-05-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Thanks, Gilmer and Dee! It's been a long journey and isn't over yet. Your support (and everyone else's) means more than you can ever know!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Gilmer, you kinky harpy!

All is well here. Sounds like a good day for all concerned here. That makes me smile.

I should finish up the gear sorting and repacking today. Then it's all back in the closet while I keep walkin'. I'm not up to four miles yet but, I'm getting there. Weird thing is: I'm missing my favorite pants. I remember seeing them somewhat recently but no idea where they are right now.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

(Note to self: Don't ask!)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

hey Trach !!! maybe your wearing them. ha ha ha ha
Old 08-05-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

That can't be it.
I'm not wearing pants.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers from a chilly end of Paradise. Sass I am so glad to hear your conclusions after your appointment, I do know what you mean but, if the worst we have to accept in life is that we can't drink, then we'll be doing well. Like Dee I believe you have many happy sober years ahead of you. A while back I deliberately sought out some photos of me at 50 so I can compare me at 60 next year, I can already see I look better than I did at 50 and I feel heaps better too.

Babs it's good to see you. Snaggle are you lurking? Come out and say hello.

Have a good day peeps.