Notices

Class Of November 2013 Part 4

Old 02-08-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Peanutty
I thought I'd posted here but obviously not LOL.

D
Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Congrats on 90 days, apophylite!!!

Better late than never!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Brooksie, Rick, Apophylite, Peanutty--update us!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I have been eating Nutella in a similar fashion to Barbie's photo.

I've gained more weight than I care to think about (at least 20 lbs since October) shoving Nutella in my face being sad about it while AA people keep telling me to be kind to myself, and yesterday I realized that being kind to myself means going to the effing gym!!

So that is what I'm going to do starting tomorrow, just for elliptical cardio. Something has to give until I can lose some of this weight and start to get back into a more tailored fitness program in the spring!

Also, no more Nutella for me!

Otherwise, all is well!

I am also starting "the artist's way" this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (56.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-09-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Still here! 73 days. It's getting easier to not drink. I no longer have some of the habits around drinking ingrained in my routine so that helps greatly. I still look fondly at glasses of wine on people's tables when we go out to dinner. I still miss the way that first glass used to be. And I can never go back there. I know it in my soul. So I'm going forward instead. Still going to AA. Have a meeting today in fact. Meeting a sober friend beforehand for coffee then we'll go together. Have told a few more ppl close to me about quitting.

Time to face some emotions and situations I've been avoiding for years. Thinking about getting a therapist to help with that.

Sobriety is a gift.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Therapists are a lot of help, Peanutty.

You are paying them to be on your side! It is a wonderful feeling of confidence to know that you're sharing personal things with somebody who has no personal agenda but yours.

Plus, they do a lot of listening and just let you vent. They don't try to shoosh you or talk over you or chastise you. They are trained to ask intelligent questions that direct your thinking to the most helpful directions for fruitful growth, tailored to you.

I hope you have a really good experience!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Brooksie, that Barbie still wasn't realistic enough for my taste. Did you see the picture going around of the plus-size Barbie with the double chin? That's more like it!

What is "the artist's way?"

I am finally safely back on my diet and exercise plan. I had been going gung-ho with lots of adrenaline for about a month--then I started wavering and compromising and skipping exercise. For three or four days my whole day revolved around stuffing chocolate caramel macadamia nut clusters into my face at 105 calories apiece.

That pattern has happened to me every time I've deliberately tried to diet (three times in my life I lost significant amounts of weight by getting out of the house and doing a job that I really loved and was completely absorbed in). Regular diets have always been a failure.

But this time, for the first time, I have managed to battle back. First, I forced myself to exercise, even after I had binged on the candy. Then I had my husband put a new combination lock on the door where the candy is stored (we have big bins of it, because we set up our church's guest reception every Sunday. So it wasn't even my own candy--I was STEALING FROM THE CHURCH! SPAWN OF SATAN! [I paid them back]).

So I've been eating in a modest and disciplined way for four days now. It feels like a year. I am pleased to say that I feel very distant from the binging of last week. I found that exercising to a beat is the key thing to keeping me faithful; otherwise I hate exercise like poison.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi class!
90 days for me today! Yay me! Had a great day. 60 miles on the bike down the coast with hubby. We're getting along right now so everything is easier. Stepdaughter is following the rules but she's still a negative nancy. It's tiring. My son has been a huge help with her but he told me he's thinking about moving out. if he does it'll be really hard for me. He's my buddy.

Brooksie, I have struggled with weight gain since getting sober also. 10 pounds. I'll take it back off when I'm ready though. I've read a lot of posts on SR about people struggling with weight gain and I went thru it when I got sober last Jan. I think it's very common after quitting drinking.
Good for you for deciding that being good to yourself is getting yourself to the gym. I exercise plenty but that only accounts for about 20 percent of the weight loss equation. Food accounts for 80 percent. I like using the My Fitness Pal app for tracking my food intake and logging my exercise. Last year I lost 35 pounds using it.
Ps, I love Nutella!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Gilmer I can't believe you're stealing candy from the church!!! Lol that's so funny. Glad you're back on the right track now.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Brooksie, that Barbie still wasn't realistic enough for my taste. Did you see the picture going around of the plus-size Barbie with the double chin? That's more like it!

What is "the artist's way?"

I am finally safely back on my diet and exercise plan. I had been going gung-ho with lots of adrenaline for about a month--then I started wavering and compromising and skipping exercise. For three or four days my whole day revolved around stuffing chocolate caramel macadamia nut clusters into my face at 105 calories apiece.

That pattern has happened to me every time I've deliberately tried to diet (three times in my life I lost significant amounts of weight by getting out of the house and doing a job that I really loved and was completely absorbed in). Regular diets have always been a failure.

But this time, for the first time, I have managed to battle back. First, I forced myself to exercise, even after I had binged on the candy. Then I had my husband put a new combination lock on the door where the candy is stored (we have big bins of it, because we set up our church's guest reception every Sunday. So it wasn't even my own candy--I was STEALING FROM THE CHURCH! SPAWN OF SATAN! [I paid them back]).

So I've been eating in a modest and disciplined way for four days now. It feels like a year. I am pleased to say that I feel very distant from the binging of last week. I found that exercising to a beat is the key thing to keeping me faithful; otherwise I hate exercise like poison.

Taking candy from the church?? *clutches pearls* God is disappointed in you!!

I keed, of course! I think it's pretty funny. You paid (the church back) for your sins, after all! (Isn't eating chocolate a sin?)

At this stage in my recovery I am learning that taking care of myself means eating healthy and exercising. I am renouncing Nutella when I hit 90 days!!!

It is so easy to backslide with junk food and the fact that you caught yourself and have resumed your workout/eating plan is awesome.

I hope you're also being kind to yourself! I am finding that difficult at 20 lbs heavier than I was 5 months ago, but I'm working on it.

I started working today at a local sports club, so if that isn't incentive to get active then I don't know what is!!!

"The artist's way" is a book by a writer who is in recovery that gives tools and suggestions that help you find/channel your creative voice.

I have had the book for a year and haven't been ready to read it but was actually told by a few people that doing it while working the steps in AA is helpful, and I am finally ready to dig in!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi Class of November. Sorry I have been negligent in my postings. All is well with me and keeping focused and sober. Feb 12 makes three months for me. Once in a while the SOB comes around making me think that I should be okay by the summer fun season to have a few. So I have to regroup and adjust my plan. My usual summer time is spent at our rec property on a gorgeous river south of here. The beer starts flowing around noon and lasts until the evening fire and marshmallows are done.
I spent $400 on a new fly rod on Saturday. That will be my activity when everyone else is sitting dangling the feet in the river with a cooler at their side. Have to resolve to the fact that I just can't do it anymore. No problem says I.
Well 3 months is the longest I have gone without a drink for 45 years. I feel good, sleep great and eat well. Except for the ice cream and jujube addiction I currently have. I have also gained a few pounds. Must be the kale and quinoau my wife makes me eat every meal. Yeck, I hate that stuff.
Enjoying the Olympics. Canada is kicking butt. Love it.
Hope you are all well and congrats to all of you as you reach and pass your milestones. Keep doing what you are doing, cause its working
All the best Friends
Old 02-10-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Siesta View Post
Hi class!
90 days for me today! Yay me! Had a great day. 60 miles on the bike down the coast with hubby. We're getting along right now so everything is easier. Stepdaughter is following the rules but she's still a negative nancy. It's tiring. My son has been a huge help with her but he told me he's thinking about moving out. if he does it'll be really hard for me. He's my buddy.

Brooksie, I have struggled with weight gain since getting sober also. 10 pounds. I'll take it back off when I'm ready though. I've read a lot of posts on SR about people struggling with weight gain and I went thru it when I got sober last Jan. I think it's very common after quitting drinking.
Good for you for deciding that being good to yourself is getting yourself to the gym. I exercise plenty but that only accounts for about 20 percent of the weight loss equation. Food accounts for 80 percent. I like using the My Fitness Pal app for tracking my food intake and logging my exercise. Last year I lost 35 pounds using it.
Ps, I love Nutella!
90 days is amazing, Siesta!!!! Woooo hoooo!!!!

Congratulations!!!

Someone told me that after 90 days comes 91. Tomorrow is 91! We are doing this, one day at a time!!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations from me too Siesta

D
Old 02-11-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hey classmates,

Congrats to those hitting milestones, isn't it a great feeling!! I have 100 days today and that is the longest i have gone without wine (except for pregnancies) in forever!
I too am needing to get on a healthy eating plan (she says while eating a chocolate bar) and get myself back to the gym. I never had a sweet tooth at all until i gave up drinking, but i must get it under control. I have by some miracle managed to avoid weight gain but its a matter of time before it starts creeping on.
Nice to hear that things are settling down for you Siesta. The thought of your long bike rides make me need a lie down!
Rick, congrats on your milestone, and im sure the summer will be as much fun without a beer, at least you'll remember it
Gilmer i am praying for you soul right now, stealing candy from the church! I laughed out loud when i read that!
Peanutty i had therapy years ago, not for drinking but for an eating disorder and it helped immensely, im sure you'll get a lot out of it.

I had some great news yesterday, i have won an award for being the regional Decleor spa therapist of the year!! My boss is loving me as you can imagine and so are the hotel bosses, so i am thrilled, i got a certificate and a swarovski crystal pen, along with a load of free Decleor products. I am so pleased I have become so much more motivated and productive at work since not drinking and its nice that its being noted!!

Have a great sober day, i have a day off today so will check in later to distract myself from housework!!
Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations to you too apophylite

D
Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Rick, great to hear from you! Don't worry about summertime. That's way too far into the future to think about. If you do think about it, think about how much more enjoyable it will be because you'll be sober.
Brooksie, the sports club job sounds fun and motivating! Let us know how it goes.
Apophylite, congrats on 100 days!! Congrats for the work award!! Sounds like you are doing fantastic.
Dreamr, hope you're doing ok. Let us know.
Hi Gilmer and Peanutty, and everyone else. Have a great day!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Apophylite, what a great distinction! Many congratulations!

Congratulations on Canada doing so well in the Olympics, Rick! I can't wait to see the big hockey matchups: Russia is really, really pumped, I think...
Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Day 93 today and 3 calendar months under my belt.
Feeling great about this milestone. Out for dinner last nite with some old time friends. Guy beside me asked about the 4 glasses of club soda. I was up front with him.
Too many, too often, too much of a focus, health issues starting to pop up, etc etc.
He was supportive and said he wished he could give it up as well. I have learned over the last three months that a lot of people are in the same boat that I was.
My kids are so proud of me. My wife has been a huge support and reaffirmed that she is truly my bestest friend.
For my 50th Bday, we had a huge party at the local pub where everyone got wasted. Especially me.
My 60th on March 1. Family and friends are getting together for a bowling party and then back to our house for cake. I am looking forward to it so much. I will remember this one!
Thanks to all of you for your kind words and support. It has meant a great deal to me to know that I am not the only soldier on the field.
Enjoy your Wednesday.
Rick
Old 02-12-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Great post Rick. A bowling party sounds so fun! It sounds like things are going really well for you.

I worked a long shift yesterday with a crew that I tend to avoid. They've been at the same job too long and are all very negative about most of it. They also talk A LOT about drinking. It really affected my mood at first being around their negativity, but as the night went on I just stopped trying to talk to them. Put my head down and focused on the job and got thru it. Even at the end they were still talking about hangovers and how much they hate them and what type of alcohol to drink for less of a hangover. Nothing I wanted to be a part of.
Hoping for a better crew tonight since it's a smaller boat, I'll have less places to get away from them. It's beautiful out there today though except for a small swell on the water, which usually makes things a little more exciting.
Happy hump day Nov class.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

You're probably at work now, Siesta. Hope the excitement makes everybody more exciting and less negative!