Notices

Class Of November 2013 Part 4

Old 06-25-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hi, you guys. Good to see you! My husband, youngest son, and I are going to the mountains for five days over the Fourth.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Congrats Br00ksie! Today is my 7 mos. I am also finding AA very helpful into recovery. I've started to venture into step 4 too and it's hard to see how selfish I have been in my thinking but it's necessary to recognize in order to choose to start thinking differently. I've lost 10 lbs. I let myself eat whatever I wanted for as long as that felt important and then I felt like feeding my body more nourishing food and drinking more water. I feel like I keep seeing things more and more clearly. I think about a glass of wine occasionally but I know it would never be a glass and I don't long for booze like I used to. I've met many sober women that I enjoy spending time with. So many changes in 7 mos. Wishing good sobriety for all of the Nov peeps!
Old 06-29-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Peanutty!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

You sound great peanutty! Congrats!!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I on the other hand have this sense of impending doom hanging over my head that is directly related to this script that I've been working on.

It is becoming a much bigger, longer project than I initially agreed to and I'm not sure if I'm ready to take on something of this magnitude at this point in my sobriety.

Case-in-point: I became overwhelmed by the decision to take on or pass on this script and completely shut down this weekend. I haven't been to a meeting in 4 days. In the two weeks Leading up to this decision, my sleep and exercise have been off because I have not been able to properly manage those with my writing.

Not allowing my fears to penetrate my sense of well-being and completely derail my momentum/progress continues to be a struggle for me.

Every time I seem to pull ahead, my fear/self-doubt creeps in and throws everything off-kilter. I continue to struggle with finding balance in my life. Right now I am fighting to overcome this feeling and regain some balance.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, Br00ksie. Does the actual writing exhilarate you, or is it killing you emotionally?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I'm sorry, Br00ksie. Does the actual writing exhilarate you, or is it killing you emotionally?
Hard to tell. It was exhilarating at first, until it got difficult. I am trying to learn to push through the difficulty and put things in perspective. It is definitely a PROCESS!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Br00ksie I have that totally overwhelmed feeling too. I used to use booze to combat it but now that I don't have that anymore it's hard. I try to break big tasks down into small pieces and focus on what I can do today. It's easier said than done sometimes, definitely, but it helps.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Br00ksie, I was greatly cheered by your recent post in the September thread. You sound as if a great burden has been lifted from your shoulders!

Plus, what's the worst possible scenario? Sharknado! It got a sequel!
Old 07-09-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hi Folks,
As I march towards July 12 and 8 months sober, had some bad news last night.
A long time friend, 50 years ago we met in Elementary school, died of a heart attack in Houston. 2 kids and an ex wife. 59 years old. Makes me think of my own mortality at 60.
I would have expected the AV to raise its ugly head but suprisingly it didnt.
I thought of the service and all our old gang together once again. Some of them are not aware that I had a problem and have no idea I dont drink anymore. The post service gathering will most certainly have liquor involved as that is what we all did together for most of those 50 years.
I look forward to seeing everyone even under these difficult circumstances however i will remain sober.
Even this sudden shocker is not going to derail my plan and my strength to stay sober for the rest of my life.
Thanks for letting me share.
Rick
Old 07-09-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, Rick. It is excellent that the grief and traditional drinking custom of your peers is not tempting you. May you live a long and happy life!
Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Br00ksie, how is your script coming?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Rick,
I'm really sorry about your friend.
I copy what Gilmer said. I'm glad that you are able to remain sober and have a healthier life with many healthy, sober years to come.
Happy almost 8 month anniversary!
I'm so proud of all of us hitting 8 months this month
Old 07-10-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Happy 8 months today, Siesta!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Thanks Gilmer!!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Siesta

Rick I'm very sorry for your loss.

D
Old 07-11-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, wow I had some catching up to do!
Congrats to everyone hitting milestones and rick I am so sorry to hear about your friend.
My eight months came and went and I'm stronger than ever in my sobriety. It feels good. The reason I haven't been around is that work has been crazy. We has two therapists leave and then they made the spa manager redundant so I'm doing stupid hours til the new guy starts.
My holiday was amazing, if anyone is ever worried about sober beach holidays don't be, I went all inclusive and didn't touch a drop and more to the point I didn't miss it! The hotel did serve n/a beer which I had a few times.
I finally got my test results from my blood work and biopsy and as suspected I have lupus. But I'm ok about it. I quit smoking as soon as I found out this week as it will interfere with the medication I've been given. I have booked a session with a personal trainer to get a programme got exercise and nutrition and have cut back my caffeine intake. I figured if I am the healthiest I can possibly be, I'll manage the illness much better. I'm being pro active instead of feeling sorry for myself.
And that's me, still here, still sober still grateful for the friendship of my fellow sober soldiers
Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to you too apophylite (and anyone I inadvertently missed)

D
Old 07-11-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 8 months, Apophylite! Your attitude toward the lupus is magnificent. I think you're exactly right. Sounds like you are emotionally as well as physically fit for the challenge!
Old 07-12-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Happy 8th month anniversary, Rick!