Notices

Class Of November 2013 Part 4

Old 05-24-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Br00ksie! Good job on the sobriety and the exercise. I am glad the depression has lifted.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Big huge congrats Br00ksie, so glad your feeling better.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

How was everyone's Memorial Day weekend? Apop- how was your non-Memorial Day weekend?

I went on a walking tour of the war statues in Central Park Monday with a sober friend which was really interesting and informative and also the hottest day of the year to-date!

The warm weather triggered some wine cravings which faded thank god. I owe my jerk back to reality to a woman in a meeting who recently relapsed and shared about having two bottles of wine alone in bed, which brought back unpleasant memories of my own drinking!
Old 05-28-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

I actually had a very busy Memorial Day weekend from Thursday to Monday. From Thursday to Saturday I wad to watch my three-year-old granddaughter, because her mom was in the hospital having a new baby brother. Friday was dedicated to driving back and forth to see them, plus taking a fun trip to the supermarket, where our #1 big tradition is to eat a danish right in the store! (and pay for them at the checkout, of course. i always put an empty bag in the cart so i won't forget).

Saturday her parents came to pick her up and take the new baby home. I took my son to his tuba lesson. We watched Impractical Jokers (I LOVE those guys!) all evening.

Sunday we went to church, took a nap, and did something in the evening--can't remember what.

Monday we worked our fingers to the bone cleaning the house for a boatload of guests at 5 pm. We scoured and cooked, then we entertained. My husband bought craft beer for the die-hards, and i told him "Go ahead"--I was totally fine with it.

But then i saw them all deliberating their choices in the cooler and I got jealous and resentful. i ran upstairs and posted on SR for an SOS. Everybody was right there to prop me up. I got over the bad mood and turned into Mrs. Pleasant again, and a good time was had by all.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Congrats on your new baby grandson, Gilmer!!

Regarding alcohol envy, I've definitely been there!! There was a beerfest at thanksgiving and I had to go into the bathroom and call someone and read "Living Sober" as well as post on SR. It took me about 45 minutes to feel better!

I thought the winter was hard, but I am realizing that the summer is going to bring its own challenges! My (old) favorite beer is not brewed in NYC thank GOD, but I didn't consider the fact that I would miss cold beer in the summer!

I rarely drank beer at home (it was always booze or wine) but I drank it often in social situations, most of which occurred during the summer!

I'm going to have to find a suitable, acceptable replacement- something that is unique and refreshing- that I can bring and sip on at summer outings like the beach, etc!

Getting drunk at the beach was one of my FAVORITE pastimes! When I lived in Savannah (where I'm from) my friends and I would get a cooler and fill it up with rum and beer and take it to the beach/on the boat almost every Sunday.

The second-to-last time I drank was Labor Day weekend last year, (also my bday weekend) which was spent drunk on the beach and the boat!

I'm sooo glad I don't live in Savannah anymore! Getting sober there would be extremely challenging, as it is a very wet city. There are no open container laws so one can get a to-go cup when bar hopping. I didn't go home for Christmas because I didn't think I had enough time under my belt to trust myself not to slip or have a nervous breakdown!

Anyway, I'm glad you got through Memorial Day okay and that you were able to have a good time!!'
Old 05-28-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Brooksie,
I know what you mean about Savannah. Recently visited there and it's very centered around it's drinking.
I always drank at the beach here at home too. I drink Arnold Palmer's now. Very refreshing and kind of a special drink I guess. Just make sure if you order one in a restaurant that they don't put vodka in it, which has happened to hubby recently.
Memorial Day was good for me. Worked 9 hours, then hubby and I played a quick 9 holes at a local golf course. Nice to be out in the sunshine.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Today I have 6 months. I don't post much but I read often. Thanks for sharing everyone. We're doing this.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats peanutty

D
Old 05-29-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee you're such an encouragement. We're lucky to have you cheering us on.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Congrats Peanutty!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Peanutty! Please, post much more often!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Goooo peanutty!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Congratulations Peanutty
Old 05-30-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Wow I've just been catching up! I'd been thinking the thread had been a bit quiet but it was just my phone not alerting me to new posts!
Congrats peanutty, it's nice to hear from you.
Gilmer, congrats on your new grandson!

I am going on holiday next Saturday, I cannot wait to have a week of relaxation as work has been really tough lately. We are going all inclusive, but I'm not worried at all about being tempted to drink, I have almost seven months now, there's no way I'm spoiling that. In fact I think it will be a better holiday sober, I'll enjoy it. I remember last years holiday when we all went out for a walk in the evening, I felt edgy about leaving the all inclusive complex because of wasting drinking time. How sad.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

How has your skin been, Apophylite?
Old 05-31-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

With the new creams I have from my dermatologist it has completely cleared up
It flares up a little now and then but one application of the cream and it's back to normal.
Just hoping it behaves in the sun!!
Old 05-31-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad to hear that apoplhylite

D
Old 05-31-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Apophylite,
Have a great trip! I'm with you on enjoying it more while sober. Drinking wastes so much time.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Hi November class mates. Thought I would check in with you all. Sounds like progress is being made. New grandbaby for Gilmer, vacation for Apophlyte. Peanut hits a milestone. Congrats to everyone. We all have 7 months to celebrate in June. Lets plan a party. Club soda with lemon and lime wedges if you really want to get wild.
All is great on my end. A weekend at the river with grandson Henry. We are exhausted just keeping an eye on him. Ran non-stop from 7 AM til 8 PM. Began at least 1000 questions with "Papa"? Need to go for a quad ride. Need to ride the lawn tractor, Need to throw rocks in the river, Need to have a cookie.. Need to.. Need to... Need to. Oh my god he is a busy 3 year old. That's why we have kids in our 20s not our 60s. I have another one coming up right behind him. Billy is 17 months and gets angry when he cant come with us.
I miss drinking beer. I miss the times when I used to enjoy it. After putting in some hours working in the yard, after a crappy day at work, after a good day at work, when it was raining and I had nothing to do. When I had lots to do, but didnt feel like doing it cause I was drinking. When I was celebrating, When I was sad, when I was happy. I miss it.
****, now that I think about it, I dont really miss it all that much anymore. Much more enjoyable to be in control of the day, enjoy the family, hobbies, kids, grandkids, my wife and above all else, myself.
7 months sober coming up, kids. Celebrate that
I will check in again in due course. THanks for letting me ramble on.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

It's always lovely to hear from you rick, I always really enjoy your posts.
A party is well deserved **pours a diet coke and pulls up a chair**
We are all doing great and achieving so much sober!