Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 21

Old 12-20-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Hello Septemberities...

hope everyone is well and fighting for their sobriety still...

ive slipped, tripped and stumbled quite a bit recently, but things are changing... a new yr on the horizon and a new class for me, going to join the Jan 2014 class, hopefully, no, I WILL be 16 days sober by the 1st Jan 14, but still think of you all loads, sending you special Septemberites a squeezy hug xx xx
Damn good to see you Lorelei, I was just talking about some of the people I missed from the initial class and you are one of them. Talk about putting things into existence. Please see my post today about start Over again. Great to see you here and please stay awhile
Old 12-20-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Hi Lor!!! So glad to see you!

Diesel, it's really nice to hear more about you and how you are doing! I don't have a lot of advice...I haven't gone out at all to parties since quitting, but I have a couple coming up.

Brooksie, I think I've been here in difference incarnations since 2008. I made the requisite "am I an alcoholic?" posts, left and came back, tried to quit and then failed. I finally feel ready. I wasn't ready before.

Kaneda, that's a heavy load to be carrying yourself. I'm glad you shared it with us. I'm sorry you will have to deal with both your wife and your brother at the same time. Do you plan on trying to reconcile with your brother or are you content with things how they are?

As for me - I discovered an AMAZING sober community here based on health and fitness. Omg!!!! I cannot believe I didn't know about this. I am going to start attending events! Events are free. They have everything from yoga to day trips for big outdoor adventures, etc. Very very excited.

I stayed up late finishing Christmas presents. Kiddo has had a rough time so that's where my attention is going. My mom gets here this weekend.

I can't believe I have almost four months. My desire to drink is almost nothing - I feel very detached from alcohol and it sort of repels me.
Fantastic to hear about your progress Renarde....
Old 12-20-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Believe it or not I found this website by googling itchy feet and legs. I had just came off the weekend binge my feet and my legs were driving me crazy. And I found a post in the newcomers thread for somebody was talking about the same symptoms. Read about 2 hours worth of posts signed up been bugging you ever since. I'm sending everybody a big old fishy e-hug
Old 12-20-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

You know, Blk, the more you post about yourself and how you feel, the more I like you. Your honesty is really shining through, as evidenced by the hidden swear words. No worries with me--I use them liberally in stressful situations, too.

I'm sorry you're missing the old social outlets around the holidays. You sound much more extroverted than I thought you were. And you sound lonely. For certain, a breakup with a gf is cause enough. Plus isolating from your old social circle in the cause of staying sober is adding to the suck factor. Add to that the illusions of the holiday season, and it's not surprising you're feeling the way you do.

The good news is that this season is set to expire in 12 more days. Or even in just 5 if New Years isn't a big deal to you. Hold on til then, and if you're anything like the way I am at this time of year, you'll feel like a cloud has lifted. I won't give you a pass to be bored in NYC, though. You sound like a very cerebral person--maybe do something physical like go bowling or skate at Rock Center. Doing fun things by yourself is still fun. Anything but sitting alone at home in the evenings thinking about how things used to be.

Just some suggestions from a hard core introvert. The main idea, though, is to get out of our own heads for a little while. Hope I'm not sounding preachy. Lord knows, I've not been exactly walking the walk and have no authority in that regard. But I have learned lots of ways to entertain myself unaccompanied.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post

I feel like it is my last chance to be taken seriously here.
No, Rochele, it's not. I'm not a mod, but I don't think SR ever rations out "last chances". Our journeys are so similar in many aspects that I can relate to why you think that. But I don't think that way anymore. Now, if Dee or EQ ever intimated that I was undermining the class by admitting my failings, I would be gone in a flash. I don't get the feeling it works that way, though.

As evidence of that, we hear from our old friend Lorelei today! Who among us isn't thrilled that she is still in the fight and working to get better?
Hi, Lor. Great to see you.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Morning! I slept in way too late. But I feel a lot better.

I'm currently doing something called "oil pulling" where I swish coconut oil in my mouth for 20 minutes. It feels gross. But It's supposed to have a great affect on your gum health and the bacterial environment of your mouth. Such a gross feeling though.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post

I'm currently doing something called "oil pulling" where I swish coconut oil in my mouth for 20 minutes. It feels gross. But It's supposed to have a great affect on your gum health and the bacterial environment of your mouth. Such a gross feeling though.
Just read up on this.

I use coconut oil for everything!

I put it in my coffee (quells my appetite), I use it as a moisturizer, a hot oil hair treatment, I cook with it, and putting it on my scalp eliminates dry scalp. Gonna add oil pulling to my repertoire!

My kitty also loves the stuff!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

My teeth feel good... It was my first time, I'll let you guys know what the results are!

I'm thinking of buying a giant tub of virgin unrefined coconut oil
Old 12-20-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

My teeth feel good... It was my first time, I'll let you guys know what the results are!

I'm thinking of buying a giant tub of virgin unrefined coconut oil
Are you going to start oil wrestling
Old 12-20-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I love coconut oil! I use the kind in the tub that is solid. Really interesting about the mouth rinse. I'd be willing to try that!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuway2fly View Post
You know, Blk, the more you post about yourself and how you feel, the more I like you. Your honesty is really shining through, as evidenced by the hidden swear words. No worries with me--I use them liberally in stressful situations, too.

I'm sorry you're missing the old social outlets around the holidays. You sound much more extroverted than I thought you were. And you sound lonely. For certain, a breakup with a gf is cause enough. Plus isolating from your old social circle in the cause of staying sober is adding to the suck factor. Add to that the illusions of the holiday season, and it's not surprising you're feeling the way you do.

The good news is that this season is set to expire in 12 more days. Or even in just 5 if New Years isn't a big deal to you. Hold on til then, and if you're anything like the way I am at this time of year, you'll feel like a cloud has lifted. I won't give you a pass to be bored in NYC, though. You sound like a very cerebral person--maybe do something physical like go bowling or skate at Rock Center. Doing fun things by yourself is still fun. Anything but sitting alone at home in the evenings thinking about how things used to be.

Just some suggestions from a hard core introvert. The main idea, though, is to get out of our own heads for a little while. Hope I'm not sounding preachy. Lord knows, I've not been exactly walking the walk and have no authority in that regard. But I have learned lots of ways to entertain myself unaccompanied.
Thanx for the input Nuway...yeah I'm actually a very extroverted person and dj'ed and threw parties for quite a long time in the city. Along with the music and the djing came alot of alcohol as well, it was just par for the course you know. So I'm also giiving up a major passion of mine which is music and playing for large crowds. I know right now tho' in order to make this change stick I have to stay away from the scene for quite a while because it only fed the beast. Alot of my sociality was tied up into music, promotion, etc and a large part of my circle also was intertwined in it also. So once I left the scene hence the loss of major connections as well.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Thanks black and renarde and nuwayxx
Old 12-20-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

One of my dental hygenists recommended that ot me. I have some CO, but have not tried that yet. I got my cold pressed, extra virgin CO at Costco, Plenny. Do you have a Costco? Amazon also has some deals sometimes. But you do have to buy a big tub. It is very shelf stable.

I was trying it in my coffee. My lips were so soft, but I did not like it, lol.

I should try the oil pulling.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuway2fly View Post
No, Rochele, it's not. I'm not a mod, but I don't think SR ever rations out "last chances". Our journeys are so similar in many aspects that I can relate to why you think that. But I don't think that way anymore. Now, if Dee or EQ ever intimated that I was undermining the class by admitting my failings, I would be gone in a flash. I don't get the feeling it works that way, though.

As evidence of that, we hear from our old friend Lorelei today! Who among us isn't thrilled that she is still in the fight and working to get better?
Hi, Lor. Great to see you.
Thank you Nuway. It is not really a bad thing to feel that way, as it puts some pressure on to really get this sober thing done and done for good!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Lorelai, so great to see you posting! I have missed you.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Lorelai, so great to see you posting! I have missed you.
I've missed you all too xxx
Old 12-20-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Fish is having a hard time behaving today. So many comments I want to make about the cocoa butter but I'm zipping the lip.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I'm going to my aunts house upstate tonight decorate her tree, so I'm getting into the holiday spirit!!

Has anyone ever heard of "elf on the shelf"? He is santa's mischievous little helper and has been caught on google images doing very naughty things!!

I kid you not. People have gotten pretty creative with this little fella.

Santa's little helpers need love too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (60.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-20-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

^^ omg that is hilarious Brooksie! hahaha
Old 12-20-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Brooksie are you talking about the elf that's making the cookies ?