Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 21

Old 12-19-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

~~~Just Venting ~ Having a Tough A** Evening~~~

Just have to get some thoughts out of my head and hope it will be able to purge my cravings. I've been going through the annals of my mind and believe that this is my first holiday season without a drink in about 20 some odd years so that is taking me back until I was a late teenager. I've always been a very popular and social person so the holiday season was always festive and full of fun, music, frolic, women, parties and liquor.

This sober journey I've undertaken has been unknown to most of my friends. only a couple of people, and I mean a couple of people know that I've been making this change and that has been by my choice. That choice was in large part attributed to the fact that most of my friends are drinkers and know me to have some drinks with them especially at this time of year. So for the most part they think I've been extremely busy and M.I.A. (Missing In Action) right now. A good portion of that is true because I've been busy changing my life and pursuing higher ground. Also, I knew to make this commitment stick this time I had to lose contact with alot of my social environment, and that meant most of my friends socially.

Truth is today I feel isolated from my social environment and am a little bored and restless. I would be lying right now if I didn't say that I wanted to be out hearing some music, partying with some great folks, getting my great festive holiday time on and drinking some cold beers in the process. This is the last party weekend, so to speak, of the Xmas holiday before New Years and I'm sober as a bat and bored as ****. The situation that I'm going through with my ex lady friend is not helping the situation at all as well because right now I would be out with friends getting my drink and party on and totally forgetting about that situation believe me. Even barring the going out to party I've stopped the having the boys over to watch the sports and have some drinks, I have been to no holiday parties, haven't been to anyones parties at their homes this holiday season so as to not be tempted by alcohol....Truth is ...I FEEL LIKE A DAMN SQUARE!!!

Phone is off the hook with events to go to and I've just shut them down being committed to my goal of sobriety. This has been the most challenging day of the last 2 months. I've gotten through Thanksgiving with no problems and the last 2 weeks with no cravings what so ever but this Thursday night is for the f**kin birds and is challenging as hell for a fella. Just venting from my island of boredom...any input is welcome or company on this wack a** island is welcomed also :0((
Old 12-19-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Blkdiesel

Is it fair to say you are uncomfortable in events where there is liquor ? Are you able to go to a restaurant or house and not drink ? I exclude bars as they are super tough !
Old 12-19-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Kell

That is lovely to hear ! Good on you !!
Old 12-19-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Blk

I guess I was lucky in a perverse kind of way that I nearly killed myself drinking - it stopped me from thinking about parties or if I was a square or not.

One thing I did realise pretty early on is I used to need to have people around me because I was scared to be on my own.

If nothing else, the time I spent in early recovery was great for me getting to know myself and finding I wasn't actually too bad a guy.

That need I had to be with people vanished, and while I like to be around others some times, it's no longer an imperative.

Thats me tho - if you're felling a bit cabin crazy why not thing of non alcoholic things to do - catch a movie, go for coffee, indulge in sports or hobbies - any of those things can be done solo or with others.

I also found a lot of joy and meaning in volunteering - not only was I connecting with people but I was doing good as well - and getting out of my own head, which, fankly, was invaluable for me.

Like I said I'm just spitballing here...if it's not applicable to you maybe there's some food for thought here for someone else anyway

I hope you can find meaningful and joyful outlets this festive season BD- you deserve it

D
Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Blkdiesel

Is it fair to say you are uncomfortable in events where there is liquor ? Are you able to go to a restaurant or house and not drink ? I exclude bars as they are super tough !
No not at all Kaneda8888, I have been out on many occasions, restaurants, houses and functions and not drank. I have gone long periods without drinking before and throughout this year. I think the holidaze and knowing its a festive time, also this being the first extended period over the holidaze that I haven't drank at all, being away from my friends who are drinking heavily this time of year, and also the breakup with my lady right now has not helped the situation tonight. As I said I've gone the last 2 months sober but this is the first holiday season I've done so...so this is real new territory for me. Just feeling isolated, bored and out of sorts for the time of year it is.....
Old 12-19-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Blk

I guess I was lucky in a perverse kind of way that I nearly killed myself drinking - it stopped me from thinking about parties or if I was a square or not.

One thing I did realise pretty early on is I used to need to have people around me because I was scared to be on my own.

If nothing else, the time I spent in early recovery was great for me getting to know myself and finding I wasn't actually too bad a guy.

That need I had to be with people vanished, and while I like to be around others some times, it's no longer an imperative.

Thats me tho - if you're felling a bit cabin crazy why not thing of non alcoholic things to do - catch a movie, go for coffee, indulge in sports or hobbies - any of those things can be done solo or with others.

I also found a lot of joy and meaning in volunteering - not only was I connecting with people but I was doing good as well - and getting out of my own head, which, fankly, was invaluable for me.

Like I said I'm just spitballing here...if it's not applicable to you maybe there's some food for thought here for someone else anyway

I hope you can find meaningful and joyful outlets this festive season BD- you deserve it

D
Thanx for the input Dee, it's 11pm here in NYC so I've been getting work done and also watching some sports at the same time to pass the time. I've just been going over my "why" for this journey...I just keep going over the why I'm doing this and how I will feel once I get through this and build nothing but confidence in my triumph over a tough period because this won't be the last. Thanx for the options as well will keep them for when I need them.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a plan, Blkdiesel !
Old 12-19-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by BLKDIESEL View Post
~~~Just Venting ~ Having a Tough A** Evening~~~

Just have to get some thoughts out of my head and hope it will be able to purge my cravings. I've been going through the annals of my mind and believe that this is my first holiday season without a drink in about 20 some odd years so that is taking me back until I was a late teenager. I've always been a very popular and social person so the holiday season was always festive and full of fun, music, frolic, women, parties and liquor.

This sober journey I've undertaken has been unknown to most of my friends. only a couple of people, and I mean a couple of people know that I've been making this change and that has been by my choice. That choice was in large part attributed to the fact that most of my friends are drinkers and know me to have some drinks with them especially at this time of year. So for the most part they think I've been extremely busy and M.I.A. (Missing In Action) right now. A good portion of that is true because I've been busy changing my life and pursuing higher ground. Also, I knew to make this commitment stick this time I had to lose contact with alot of my social environment, and that meant most of my friends socially.

Truth is today I feel isolated from my social environment and am a little bored and restless. I would be lying right now if I didn't say that I wanted to be out hearing some music, partying with some great folks, getting my great festive holiday time on and drinking some cold beers in the process. This is the last party weekend, so to speak, of the Xmas holiday before New Years and I'm sober as a bat and bored as ****. The situation that I'm going through with my ex lady friend is not helping the situation at all as well because right now I would be out with friends getting my drink and party on and totally forgetting about that situation believe me. Even barring the going out to party I've stopped the having the boys over to watch the sports and have some drinks, I have been to no holiday parties, haven't been to anyones parties at their homes this holiday season so as to not be tempted by alcohol....Truth is ...I FEEL LIKE A DAMN SQUARE!!!

Phone is off the hook with events to go to and I've just shut them down being committed to my goal of sobriety. This has been the most challenging day of the last 2 months. I've gotten through Thanksgiving with no problems and the last 2 weeks with no cravings what so ever but this Thursday night is for the f**kin birds and is challenging as hell for a fella. Just venting from my island of boredom...any input is welcome or company on this wack a** island is welcomed also :0((
Diesel,

When I first got sober I tried to continue socializing in the same way I always had and ended up smoking weed or trying to be around weed and booze and hating it.

Because I didn't want to put myself in those situations, I avoided friends and a lot of parties/events. The difference for me though is that I have replaced that void with AA.

AA has a very large fellowship aspect where I have met so many awesome, new, cool alcoholics. I am going to the BK museum with one of them. I have been to the movies, parties (with good music), and I go out for coffee or dinner at least once a week- all with sober people!

Being able to do this- and have FUN- has reinforced my sobriety to the point where, when I did go to a party with alcohol a couple of weeks ago, I was able to enjoy myself without feeling the need to drink or smoke.

I don't think I could do that regularly, nor can I completely avoid situations involving alcohol for the rest of my life. I am a social person! I am trying to find balance and be able to socialize in both settings from time to time while maintaining a strong foundation of sobriety (my sobriety is PARAMOUNT).

I see you live in NYC. The good thing about this city is that there are SO many meetings and so many different kinds of people.

I'm pretty sure they have a sober sports group!

I the stronger I become, I find that I am gradually telling old friends about my sobriety, more for my protection than anything else. If I go to a party and people know I'm sober, they will not offer me a drink.

I don't think everyone needs to know, but telling certain people frees me from the anxiety of having to constantly refuse drinks.

What are your thoughts on AA?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a plan, Blkdiesel !
Yes, I do have a plan but they never said the execution was going to be easy now did they....Lol Lol!!!
Thank you guys for the time and the input tonight as well, It's now a brand new day and the moment has passed, I'm onto Friday and bedtime....Gnite!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by kellbell123 View Post
You're so pretty, Brooksie. You look fiesty just like you sound in your posts. And I mean that in a very good way. I love fiesty people

Tonight my hubby, middle daughter, son and I drove around town and looked at Christmas lights. I brought a box of candy canes and we turned Christmas music on the radio. It was so much fun. Oh we took the dog too and it was super funny how interested he was in the lights lol
Just wanted to share my experience because I am proud to be making these memories with my kids and showing them you can have fun sans booze!
Thanks Kell!

Your experience with the Christmas lights sounds lovely! What a great "sober reference"!

My mom used to take me to do the same thing in GA. I have always loved looking at Christmas lights!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
Diesel,

When I first got sober I tried to continue socializing in the same way I always had and ended up smoking weed or trying to be around weed and booze and hating it.

Because I didn't want to put myself in those situations, I avoided friends and a lot of parties/events. The difference for me though is that I have replaced that void with AA.

AA has a very large fellowship aspect where I have met so many awesome, new, cool alcoholics. I am going to the BK museum with one of them. I have been to the movies, parties (with good music), and I go out for coffee or dinner at least once a week- all with sober people!

Being able to do this- and have FUN- has reinforced my sobriety to the point where, when I did go to a party with alcohol a couple of weeks ago, I was able to enjoy myself without feeling the need to drink or smoke.

I don't think I could do that regularly, nor can I completely avoid situations involving alcohol for the rest of my life. I am a social person! I am trying to find balance and be able to socialize in both settings from time to time while maintaining a strong foundation of sobriety (my sobriety is PARAMOUNT).

I see you live in NYC. The good thing about this city is that there are SO many meetings and so many different kinds of people.

I'm pretty sure they have a sober sports group!

I the stronger I become, I find that I am gradually telling old friends about my sobriety, more for my protection than anything else. If I go to a party and people know I'm sober, they will not offer me a drink.

I don't think everyone needs to know, but telling certain people frees me from the anxiety of having to constantly refuse drinks.

What are your thoughts on AA?
Thanx for the insight BrOOksie, nice to see a fellow NewYawker here. I have been able to balance the settings in large spurts so far but this holiday season is the first for me sober so its been very challenging. I will broaden my sober society horizons though so that I can njoy myself in sober settings. Thanx for the input and I will get back to you on the AA situation.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
I just read the December thread and it helped me put it in perspective. We've come a LONG way!
UI

Hehe...I also had a peek at the December thread a while ago. For some reason, the early stage of a class thread remind me of going on your first date (without the sweating). Oh, that just brought back some awkward memories...

Yes, we have progressed a lot. The tremendous goodwill, support and altruism generated over the past few months has been truly phenomenal. My sponsor from AA is so puzzled that I have managed to reach this stage of recovery at such a fast pace. He isnt aware of this incredible resource !

Carry on and keep calm, connected and sober everyone !!
Old 12-19-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Fishy

It is simply so heartening to hear that you are enjoying life, recovering well and in a program but then it was so disheartening to see those pants....

Keep rocking dude...
Old 12-20-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Clemence: thinking about you!!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

UI

Hehe...I also had a peek at the December thread a while ago. For some reason, the early stage of a class thread remind me of going on your first date (without the sweating). Oh, that just brought back some awkward memories...

Yes, we have progressed a lot. The tremendous goodwill, support and altruism generated over the past few months has been truly phenomenal. My sponsor from AA is so puzzled that I have managed to reach this stage of recovery at such a fast pace. He isnt aware of this incredible resource !

Carry on and keep calm, connected and sober everyone !!
My sponsor knows about SR. I've also talked about it in meetings before. I showed off my sober scarf to my sponsor and a few other peeps last night!

I have a question for everyone: what led you to look up/ how did you find the SR website?

I had been going to meetings for 3 days and was browsing sobriety apps on my phone. SR was the first one I saw, so I downloaded it.

I remember my first post was about being sad that I had to give up wine. Then I dove head first into the newcomer's thread.

A couple of days later I discovered the website and created my profile.

I stumbled upon September while looking at other class threads a week or two after that, and the rest is history!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
My sponsor knows about SR. I've also talked about it in meetings before. I showed off my sober scarf to my sponsor and a few other peeps last night!

I have a question for everyone: what led you to look up/ how did you find the SR website?

I had been going to meetings for 3 days and was browsing sobriety apps on my phone. SR was the first one I saw, so I downloaded it.

I remember my first post was about being sad that I had to give up wine. Then I dove head first into the newcomer's thread.

A couple of days later I discovered the website and created my profile.

I stumbled upon September while looking at other class threads a week or two after that, and the rest is history!
To answer your question BrOOksie, a couple of years ago I was looking up binge drinking issues on the net" after a couple of weeks of drinking events and knowing the need of a serious change. I did alot of research on the net and came up with this site and created a profile and began reading, listening and not posting...being a voyeur of sorts because I didn't want to admit there was an issue and didn't know how to articulate my situation. After going back to my regular drinking life I returned after the Summer got into the September class and started the journey with this fantastic "family" and have continued to the present day. It has been a Godsend thus far.

I must say that I've missed some of the people that started the journey with us though...but I do understand that this is a very challenging thing to do and the holidaze doesn't make it any easier as well. I wish them all well and hope they make decisions that support them being their "greatest selves"
Old 12-20-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

~~~Food for thought ~ Thank God It's Friday Edition~~~
~~~Start Over Again~~~

~~~After a very challenging night, I'm proud to say that I had the courage and the strength to remain sober and vigilant along with the assistance of Kaneda888, Dee74 and Brooksie...I thank you all for shining the light in the darkness last night...now to the regular scheduled programming~~~

~~~The Meal~~~

You can start over again! Don’t even think about quitting now! It’s easy to replay in your mind how things didn’t work; how much you lost; what you’re going through; and how angry you are. There’s no amount of conversation or magic that’s going to wipe the slate clean. You’re wasting valuable time and energy that could be used to regain a new normal and start another version of your life. Even though you’re hurt and you may be feeling down ~ stop kicking yourself! Face what has happened and make the decision to start over again.

~~~The Healthy Snack~~~

In life, friendships change…divorces happen...people move on and others die. Money and jobs will come and go. Live long enough and your health and body will change. It goes with the territory of being human. The fact that you’re still here gives you an advantage. Don’t look back. Look straight ahead!! Decide to use all of your knowledge, skills, experiences, as well as your life lessons from your mistakes, defeats and setbacks, to start over again. Life changes. You may not have the same life as before, but you can still enjoy your life!

~~~Make it a Sober December 2 Remember~~~
Old 12-20-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Br00ksie, in answer to your question:

I Initially found this website during a period of sobriety around 3 years ago. I had a serious health scare due in large part to drinking, but also to poor eating habits, being overweight and inactivity. I was googling around about my health situation, and somehow the search led me to a thread or post here. I actually registered quickly, and tried to ask some people questions about my health issues and their experience with it. I hate to say it, but I did not get a warm reception at all. One person posted rather sharply to me, and it felt mean. So, I was gone. I was sober then, and certain I would never drink again. Yeah...

So, fast forward to February 2012, and I joied a month club, because I had been back drinking. Not crazy drinking, but habitual and my health really dictates I should not drink at all. EQ was in that class, and I love seeing her success here! She inspires me. My dad died later that month. I was not drinking away my sorrows, but relapsed, partly due more to the family all here and drinking around me, and I caved to the AV. Stumbed though with periods of moderation/excess/abstinence, etc...joined last November's club, dropped out again.

Hoping 3rd club is a charm. I feel like it is my last chance to be taken seriously here.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hello Septemberities...

hope everyone is well and fighting for their sobriety still...

ive slipped, tripped and stumbled quite a bit recently, but things are changing... a new yr on the horizon and a new class for me, going to join the Jan 2014 class, hopefully, no, I WILL be 16 days sober by the 1st Jan 14, but still think of you all loads, sending you special Septemberites a squeezy hug xx xx
Old 12-20-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hi Lor!!! So glad to see you!

Diesel, it's really nice to hear more about you and how you are doing! I don't have a lot of advice...I haven't gone out at all to parties since quitting, but I have a couple coming up.

Brooksie, I think I've been here in difference incarnations since 2008. I made the requisite "am I an alcoholic?" posts, left and came back, tried to quit and then failed. I finally feel ready. I wasn't ready before.

Kaneda, that's a heavy load to be carrying yourself. I'm glad you shared it with us. I'm sorry you will have to deal with both your wife and your brother at the same time. Do you plan on trying to reconcile with your brother or are you content with things how they are?

As for me - I discovered an AMAZING sober community here based on health and fitness. Omg!!!! I cannot believe I didn't know about this. I am going to start attending events! Events are free. They have everything from yoga to day trips for big outdoor adventures, etc. Very very excited.

I stayed up late finishing Christmas presents. Kiddo has had a rough time so that's where my attention is going. My mom gets here this weekend.

I can't believe I have almost four months. My desire to drink is almost nothing - I feel very detached from alcohol and it sort of repels me.